cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank handle is hard to reach

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Springdale 282 BH. The black tank handle and valve are so far under the trailer that I need to get on my hands and knees to reach to handle. The fittings in the area make it impossible to move forward. Any ideas on how to make the handle easier to reach?
12 REPLIES 12

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
My old TT had a valves that were hard to reach. I took a 4' piece of 1x2 pine and cut a notch in one end. The notch fit under the handle and I could open the valve with a motion that looked like I was paddling a boat. To close the valve, just reverse the motion. I did consider replacing the valves with remote cable-like extensions, but I got used to the notched stick.

Norm
F1BNorm

Railroad_Michae
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem on my crossroads. Didn't like to kneel on the possible poo ground so i bought an old golf putter for $2 and built a hook on the end to grab the handle. Putter shaft is stiff enough to push the tank handle back closed. People look at me funny when i go to the dump station and get out my golf club.

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
My grey water valve is under the slide. After doing the hands and knees thing a few times, I found my solution. I just use the "pole" used to lock, unlock, extend & retract the manual awning to reach it.
Easy fix for me!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA, You, Sir are my Hero. That access door is exactly what I need on my Freelander.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

B-goat
Explorer
Explorer
There are also a few different makes of electric 3" waste gate valves available for RV's.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kudos, guys!! Never liked reaching under the skirt, or kneeling on the ground at a dump!!

Looks like the OP has a different problem than I thought from his description. Maybe has to replumb a bit to fix?? Pics would be nice to see the configuration.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA, that opening through the skirt is one GREAT idea.
Like it.

Over the years I have gotten some good tips from this Forum...yours is up there with some of the best.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the shop re-pipe the end of mine and bring the blank tank valve handle forward. The old valve gaskets had broken and gotten stuck inside, so I was already having them fix those. The entire thing cost less than $200 and was one of the best things I had done.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had a pic but my tt is over an hour away at camp. The handle is back on the 3 inch pipe behind two smaller gray tank drain lines and is pointed at an angle to the ground. I have to reach under the smaller line just to get enough room to pull the handle. They definitely were not thinking convenient when they installed this handle.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is under slide out. I made an extension to I don't have to crawl under... I took a piece of schedule 40 (or 80?) pvc pipe and cut a notch that fits the handle.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tuc, looks good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the metal skirting on the bottom of the walls like many trailers now?? If so, you could do what I did on my trailer and my sons:

The door is a marine item, and found 2 on ebay for a lot less than going to a boat accessories dealer!! Easy to do, and don't have to beat up my wrists going under the skirt to pull valves. I also put a smaller one where my low-point drains were.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles