cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Sensor contacts

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
What do you recommend for cleaning the black tank contacts?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired
12 REPLIES 12

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want the black tank & sensors super clean, use some Liquid Drano. It won't hurt metal or plastic. Our owners manual says to use it. We've been using it once or twice a year for 5 seasons. Only problem is, the sensors stop working again in no time.

Resistance is futile. Trying to get the tank sensors to read properly is a waste of time. Looking down the toilet is a better method. I installed a shutoff valve at the back of the toilet so I can look down and see the level of the "stuff" more clearly.

We installed the Horst Miracle probes. They didn't help at all. I think the problem is because the in-tank rinser is on the same wall as the sensors and they never get rinsed off. We also installed them in a previous TT and they worked great. The size, location of outlet pipe and sensors of your tank will affect how well the Horst probes work.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Try Horst miracle probes (I keep meaning to buy) or upgrade to a See-Level system which uses entirely different technology.

I had heard the Horst went out of business, apparently Valterra bought the business. Anyway, here is a brief explanation of the problem: Valterra probes

Amazon has them now
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Contacts, what contacts. The "Sensor" is nothing more than a nail pin or screw. A simple metal rod that extends into the tank with a screw fitting on the outside head.

Try Horst miracle probes (I keep meaning to buy) or upgrade to a See-Level system which uses entirely different technology.

I had heard the Horst went out of business, apparently Valterra bought the business. Anyway, here is a brief explanation of the problem: Valterra probes

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Install a sprayer in the tank opposite the probes. Also read up on the Geo Method. It might take a couple of treatments but it works
The Geo Method

I don't use Calgon as it is expensive. I use the cheapest softener and dish soap I can find.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
On our last 3 trailers I've had good success using a toilet wand along with the tank rinser. But after the first dump, the black tank never reads empty until I clean it again.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Gave up on working sensors a long time ago. Looking down the flush valve when open gives a very good idea of how full. And water in the bathtub means dump it.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Contacts, what contacts. The "Sensor" is nothing more than a nail pin or screw. A simple metal rod that extends into the tank with a screw fitting on the outside head.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ignore them, otherwise you'll have to clean them with every tank.
If you really want to make them work, stick a wand down the toilet and shoot the sensors with a strong stream of water.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Install the seelevel 2 system made by Garnet Industries.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
I just put the left over ice in the tank on the way home from a trip, the sloshing usually cleans and breaks everything down.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we stopped trying to keep them working. just use good judgment. we do give the poo tank a shot of dawn soap.