cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Wash Out question

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
DH wants to know if we can use the wash-out on our black tank if the tank is full. We've been wintering in Iowa....COLD! The weather is thawing today, and even warmer next week. We opened the valve, but nothing came out. Not sure if it's still frozen, or something is plugged.
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah, you wanted to know if it would cure constipation of the tank.

Sorry, no it will not.. IF the tanks and valves are enclosed (like many motor homes) not exposed (like many trailers) a 100 watt light bulb (Caged to prevent it from touching anything meltable) will help in the winter.. or "The world's Smallest Space Heater" from Sharper Image (I have one, but not from them) (this is a 150 watt heater) and time.

If the pipes are exposed.. I make no recommendation as the one thing I could recommend, if mis-used, can make one mel of a hess as they say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
AuntSmurf wrote:
...shortly after he had me ask the question, everything broke loose on its own...

Congrats...I think ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
I think that what DH was hoping was that the wash-out could be used to help thaw or break loose the frozen mass that was in the exit pipe. But, shortly after he had me ask the question, everything broke loose on its own! So, all is good now. ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You only use the wash out when the tank is EMPTY,

First you dump, then you rinse. Why would you "Wash out" a full tank?

Page 2: ONLY connect to that port (inlet) when you want to rinse the tank, when done disconnect, QUICK disconnects, are just fine here,, I put a short (like 10 inch) hose on mine, just enough so that the QD is outside the bay when the door is open, That way I can quickly hook up and unhook.

You can get Quick Disocnnects in the garden hose isle at hardware and Lawn and Garden departments in many stores. Too many to list.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MickeyBrennan
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
If the tank is full do not use the black tank flush. It will come out inside.
The flush is meant to be used after the tank is drained to flush out whatever may be remaining in the bottom of the tank.
You will have to wait until it thaws. Likely the discharge pipe is frozen, not the whole tank.

X2. If you're in a hurry, try a hair dryer on the discharge pipe.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for thawing other the valve. Don't put anything more in it till you can get stuff out.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
The flush is meant to be used after the tank is drained to flush out whatever may be remaining in the bottom of the tank.
You will have to wait until it thaws. Likely the discharge pipe is frozen, not the whole tank.

X2. If you're in a hurry, try a hair dryer on the discharge pipe.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
AuntSmurf wrote:
We opened the valve, but nothing came out.
And nothings going to come out until a 40 gallon block of frozen poo thaws out...sometime in June!!!:S

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER