cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake or wiring issues

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have an issue with my brakes on Jayco TT or either in wiring. My truck (2010 F150) gives a trailer wiring error when I plug in. I have cleaned connections and used dielectric grease, no help. I tried plugging in new trailer and got no error. I have a local dealer that I trust, but they are a small shop with only a couple of mechanics so have to do a wide variety of types of work. I am considering going to trailer shop, (like for semi trucks). There are a couple in our area, that have been around for a while but no online reviews. If I call them, what kind of questions should I ask?

I know just before I had the error, I had tires replaces and bearings checked/greased. Returning home from next trip (about 50 miles each way), severe thunderstorms had brought down a tree in road, and I had to drive off side of road to get around (yes, slowly). I had a flash of an error during that trip home, but I forgot about it until a month later when I went to go again. At that point, I blamed error on dirty connections and drove the mile to very local campground. Could driving off the road have caused a brake issue? should I recommend shop look at brakes on that side first?
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
12 REPLIES 12

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov, I thought I had read something about some Ford trailer plugs/integrated truck brakes being suspect, but couldn't find anything..

I will keep watch... as I had brakes even when truck said I didn't... or at least I didn't ever feel the trailer pushing the truck. just glad I don't see a big bright NO TRAILER warning anymore.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a trailer connection error in the past, usually fixed by "jiggling" the trailer plug when plugged into the truck. And/or the error just goes away after a couple minutes of driving. But... the brakes and lights still work, even with the error.

I have read about others with a similar issue, and many times replacing the receiver plug on the truck solves it.

This is completely unscientific, but I think a lot of Ford trailer plugs in the 2005 to maybe 2010 range just had some minor wiring issue.

If it happens again, I suggest just replacing the trucks receiver plug.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The gremlin will return, the problem is intermittent and has not been corrected.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
okay, update on trailer issue.. truck was giving "trailer wiring fault" error and if i touched brake controller, I got no trailer. error appeared sometime (not immediately) after I had the breakaway replaced. Did have to drive off the road to go around a tree down on way home last trip before error appeared.

Took trailer to local trailer shop (not RV shop but a commercial trailer repair shop). Less than an hour after leaving it, I got a call, they had jacked up each wheel tested the brake with power and tested the breakaway and found nothing wrong. couldn't get it to not work on any wheel. Mid afternoon, I went to pick up thinking I would have to take truck to Ford dealer for computer analysis. Mechanic jacked up and demonstrated braking and breakaway for one wheel. I then plugged my truck in to check with my truck and NO ERROR.. everything worked like it should. Trailer shop exorcised a gremlin. No real clue as to what problem was, unless the jacking up and down wiggled something. Drove home and parked trailer with no lack of connection.

anyhow, I am good now.. still don't know what happened, but happy I didn't expend tons of money chasing a gremlin and that I get to take the trailer out next weekend, since I missed last weekend due to concern over brakes.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
What is the error code
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since replacing the breakaway switch made the error go away, pretty safe bet that was your issue.

Was your house battery dead? Does the trailer have a separate breakaway battery that's now dead?

If the broken pin caused the breakaway switch to activate, that would cause your brake controller to throw an error, at the very least. I would also have expected you to notice other problems, like the house battery being dead, or the trailer pulling exceptionally hard like the brakes were locked up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
okay, I just saw another post about breakaway pin being pulled and trailer hooked to power causing issues with brakes..

I did have my breakaway pin broken possibly activating brakes. I cut wire at direction of shop, to take trailer to get breakaway assembly replaced. no issues on trailer then or at beginning of next trip. Now I am wondering if the breakaway pin caused this issue.. If so, I am getting angry, because yard guy broke pin... and didn't tell me.. I just found cable sitting on top of propane tank.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
I had that at the beginning of the season. Replaced almost everything and finally found out it was the magnets and the wires to the magnets had burned up. The wires literally fell apart from being cooked.

If you search my posts you will find it.
Intermittenting brakes.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that you have no error when plugged into a different trailer pretty much tells you the issue is with your TT. I had a similar issue and found that one of the trailer power wires had abraded and was shorting out against the frame (ground) where the wire came out of the axle. I repaired it and added a plastic covers over the wires and the problem went away.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
check all the wires under trailer. any disconnected..?

also many trailers do not weatherproof connectors for brakes.

many RV, auto, light truck places can do wiring repairs and testing of trailer.

or have a mobile RV repair service come to you.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is either wiring to brakes or brakes themselves. No brakes when towing.. lights all work. I tested truck with new trailer and everything worked. Would a semi trailer type shop be a good option? Or RV shop with 2 mechanics to do everything be better?
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your trailer brakes working for you... Use the manual slide switch and see if that stops you and trailer without pushing the brake pedal on the truck...

I do this quick test everytime I hook up before I leave my neighbor hood...

You can use your boy scout compass up close to each wheel when the brakes are applied and see if the needle deflects on each wheel... I think the Ford OEM brake controller however has to be moving above 10MPH before the Electric brakes get DC Voltages from using the Truck Brake Pedal. Works anytime using the manual slider switch... My 2010 Ford OEM Brake controller does this at any rate...

My brakes make a low tone noise when the magnet is activated.

It is a US DOT Safety law that your brakes and on-board trailer battery are working when being towed over public roads... This is an enforceable law... This is required for the Emergency break-away trailer switch being operational...

Kinda of important to have working trailer brakes I would think...

The Ford shop can tell you if the OEM Brake Controller is working properly for a $90 minimum shop fee... A boy scout compass is just a couple of dollars...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS