cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BREAK IN??

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Checked the MH for caught/dead mice . All 3 glue traps were moved. Curious, I searched around. One was folded in half and on the floor. The other 2 were found in the dinette area well above the ground. Both had the imprint of a large shoe. Also smelled a little like cigarette smoke. Also looked like some empty boxes tossed around. Fortunately, I keep no electronics or anything of value in it until I'm ready to go.
All doors were locked.
Seems someone got in at night and stepped in glue traps in the dark.
Don't know how they could have gotten in, since it was locked. Why did they lock the doors when they left? Should I expect a return visit?
31 REPLIES 31

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet Rube Goldberg could come up with an interesting live trap for thieves. Some Folks have a lot, of time and tools at hand. Howcome we don't hear anyone catching some of these thieves?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
Terry--I can't keep it in my driveway due to community regs. I kept it over night a couple weeks ago and someone pulled in my drive and told me not to do it again. It's only 1 minute from my home, however.

Yeah, Terry was lots of help, huh!?..:R

Tommy - maybe a door sign indicating something to the effect of - "interior security cameras", or?
(Won't help in the dark, however)

To check for "re-entry" quick and easy on the cheap....superglue a length of dark thread about 6" above the floor - across the interior - and/or an area you suspect might be used for entry (window?).

You have to remember it's there - check to see if it's broken.
(Intruder isn't going to have materials to replace it).

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
.dbl

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Terry--I can't keep it in my driveway due to community regs. I kept it over night a couple weeks ago and someone pulled in my drive and told me not to do it again. It's only 1 minute from my home, however.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Sound like maybe engineering some larger stickier traps. All kinds o glue out there. Something like superglue that doesn't activate until something touches or step on it. A big spring to or trip to make them fall and glue themselves securely to a four by two piece of 3/4 ply on a chain.
Maybe not ๐Ÿ™‚
Watching too many cartoons? This couldn't possibly happen.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

KazooTom
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that things were ok this morning. Happy to see that there was no major damage or anything important missing. I hope the next week goes smoothly and gets you out on the road enjoying your motorhome.
Tom & Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 Chassis

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is why I keep mine in the back yard.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
Should I expect a return visit?

Maybe or maybe not. Unless you are willing to sleep in the unit, or move it to a more secure location, or at least do some of the things suggested here, the answer is moot.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Checked this morning--NO attempt made. Only 1 more week till I'm on the road.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
arkantex wrote:
FTD someone told him to put a a game camera up so if the perps decide to come back

Yeah I saw that. Even still do you think it's worth the hassle? That was my point. It's not like some intruder was trying to kill his family.

Stealing is against the law, you lose anything of your's and don't want to do something, have at it. Just encourage the thief to maintain a career path that will only have a determental effect on the rest of us. Anyone steals anyone's stuff, should make a police report and make the effort to appear in court and do everything in their power to see the thief punished to the full extent of the law.

Believe me, I'm no pacifist. Maybe you didn't see the beginning of this thread before the administrator got involved. Someone suggested using deadly force. I stated they shouldn't let their testosterone make their decisions. Killing someone and then the hassle of getting arrested or going to court. In this case it wasn't worth it, that's all.
E.Lee Galik

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sound like maybe engineering some larger stickier traps. All kinds o glue out there. Something like superglue that doesn't activate until something touches or step on it. A big spring to or trip to make them fall and glue themselves securely to a four by two piece of 3/4 ply on a chain.
Maybe not ๐Ÿ™‚

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
arkantex wrote:
FTD someone told him to put a a game camera up so if the perps decide to come back

Yeah I saw that. Even still do you think it's worth the hassle? That was my point. It's not like some intruder was trying to kill his family.

Stealing is against the law, you lose anything of your's and don't want to do something, have at it. Just encourage the thief to maintain a career path that will only have a determental effect on the rest of us. Anyone steals anyone's stuff, should make a police report and make the effort to appear in court and do everything in their power to see the thief punished to the full extent of the law.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
Think bigger than a mouse and nastier - RAT.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
KazooTom wrote:

. As was stated in an earlier post, there are only a handful of different keys for the standard door locks. You dead bolt is a bit more unique. If both are locked it would be harder to get in.

My dead bolt, and door lock. Use the same key. The door for the rear of the TT uses a different key. I'm not sure the entry door keys use the same keys as much as the storage door locks do.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers