cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broke Swivel Stik end in black tank. Oops.

MtnLiving
Explorer
Explorer
Little background; we're going full time in July and just bought our first fifth wheel. Never really been in one before, except the one we bought so we're complete novices.

We'll we got it home and the previous owner didn't drain the tanks. Found a Swivel Stik in a storage compartment so I thought why not use it. Tried it out in the yard and it sprayed water like it should. Tugged on the end and the flexible hose and both seemed secure so I started to stick it down the head and worked it up and down.

Then the dreaded feeling... no more resistance. I pulled it out and only the flexible hose came out. The head with the sprayer was gone.
HELP!!

2005 Keystone Raptor 3612. It's not a straight shot to into the black tank so I can't see the head of the sprayer. WHat do I do? Can I leave it there? Even if I pulled the tank, which I really don't want to do, can I really get the sprayer head out?

Being a real novice, we owned the RV less than 2 weeks, we're turning to your centuries of combined experience. Thanks so much.
29 REPLIES 29

RDS33
Explorer
Explorer
If the pipe from the toilet goes though the basement. Go into the basement below the elbows just above the tank and cut the pipe. You could should be able to reach in and grab it. Then repair the pipe.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I understand you just the flexible end came off which looks about 3 ft or less. If so I would try what John&Joey suggested first If that does not work I would try sticking a flexible garden hose down the toilet with the male end removed and see where the bends are, can you feel the missing piece, will it go all the way to the exit? I then would pull it out and shove it in past the first bend and open the water pressure full blast while inserting it deeper into the piping. Hopefully the water pressure with get it close enough to the exit to grab it with a coat hanger.

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
Just me brain storming, but how does the drain pipe connect to the tank? Could it be removed so that you could remove it from the bottom without removing the tank?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt it will flush out since it's too heavy. I also doubt you have a line of sight to it. I also doubt a camera will be able to spot it given all the twists and turns the pipes make.

I would leave the black valve open and put the cap on the end of the line. Drive it somewhere between 25 and 100 miles. Take the cap off and see if it shook itself down the pipe from all the vibration and bouncing. Since sewage is setup to go downhill maybe you might get lucky with the sprayer.

If no luck, then one of two things. Live with it, or tear it apart.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bid_time wrote:
Just shine a light down in the tank, reach in and grab it. You ain't going to die.

You must have a TT or REALLY LONG arms cause OP has a 5vr and you can't reach black tank from toilet.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://astore.amazon.com/hatena001-20/detail/B006ZEOXJY

Maybe you could get lucky and fish it out with something like this

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
MtnLiving wrote:

we're going full time in July
we're complete novices.
we owned the RV less than 2 weeks

we're turning to your centuries of combined experience.

OK, I can't figure out if you are a "complete total" novice or just novice to a fifth wheel?
If you are just starting with RV's, then good luck as you are starting out jumping right in. ๐Ÿ™‚

For sure keep reading here on the forum and do several camping nights before July
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Just shine a light down in the tank, reach in and grab it. You ain't going to die.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
So you lost not only the head but also the piece that goes from head to flexible hose????

Odds are very slim that it will go out drain line 'straight' and not sideways!

Chances are it will get stuck sideways at tank outlet and end up clogging drain with TP and stuff.

I would get a clear adapter for end of drain line so you can see stuff flowing out when you dump.
Then hook up sewer drain hose, fill tank full and dump and repeat hoping that it comes out. No pooping/toilet paper until it is removed

Otherwise you will have to remove drain valve and reach inside tank grab it and remove it.
This can not be done from above via toilet......toilet drain line drops over 3" from toilet to black tank and has at least 1 most likely 2 45* elbows
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have an inspection camera similar to this. Mine is a Rigid from Home Depot. I have used it numerous times on our RV and around the house.

It also a a little "grabber" attachment that goes on the end of the snake camera. This would work great to solve your problem.
You don't have to buy one. Home Depot rents them as do local tool rental outfits.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MtnLiving
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. Well, I don't think it'll make it's way out. Here's a link to the stick. Lost the end connected to the flexible hose. It's pretty long.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Flexible-Swivel-Stik/14504324

DutchmanSport, now as far as reaching in and trying to see if I can grab it, I'd go for that.

covettekent, you're right, I don't think it'll make it's way out by itself, in fact I'm pretty sure it won't since the part that fell off was pretty long. Leaving it in there, humm... maybe you're right. Maybe it'll just jostle around and clear up the stuck deposits? Wouldn't that be nice?

Not knowing how the piping or drain valves line up with the tank, do you think it would make it's way into an elbow and restrict solid waste removal? Anyone knows or has a picture of the Raptor 3612 black tank plumbing?

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it will come out in the first dump of the holding tank if you wait until it almost full.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't reach in with your hand and grab it, it probably can be accessed by removing the toilet. Before messing with the black tank, I'd remove the toilet first. It would be easier than the black tank.

If the end fell on down and is laying at the bottom of the tank, ummm.... not sure what I'd do.

I'm assuming it's too big or long to add lots of water and flush it out, right?

I once had a pill bottle fall in the toilet and it went down. I figured it would probably flush out at the next campout. Well, when winterizing, I flushed the tank out. Tank was clean, and I was letting the water fall on the ground, and bingo! The pill bottle fell out.... like 6 months AFTER it fell in? Never could figure that one out. But glad it didn't clog up anything.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it would be easy to get it out and I don't think it with hurt anything to just leave it in there.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Prowler_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about, it will eventually make its way out and into the dumping station. My son dropped a Hot Wheels car into our black tank and I actually heard it go through the hose 2 dumps later.