cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a rental

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
anyone out there ever bought an rv from apollo rentals? I had never heard of them until a couple of days ago, el monte and cruise am yes. I've found cruise am has high mileage on theirs and I've read that el monte is a better place to buy, but what about apollo? I am looking now at a 2013 with 44k miles, but appears in very good shape, and it's a regular model not a special made for the rental co. rich
rich
27 REPLIES 27

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
A Dodge Explorer would be good for you. Check out the one that Happily Houseless (YouTube) just bought and is picking up this weekend. Wander Dano (YouTube) has a nice older Class B.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
shaneperch wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
From reading this, it does seem to make buying a former rental from a large firm a good idea. Only downside is that rentals likely have no slide-outs, which for some isn't a big deal.

I don't mind no slide out as my need for a motorhome is more for going to and fro somewhere. I like the idea of the ability to pull over and sleep or use the bathroom, nice if you have to stay a night you have your own bed and shower toilet etc. Also I am a musician and love to go to the Starvey Creek bluegrass festival which is only 40 miles from me. but have a motorhome to jam in or cool off bring food etc. Now if I was a fulltimer and or spend weeks at a time in a park or whavthaveyou yes I would most certainly want slideouts.

Sounds like a smaller Class B is what you need...

I would love to fine a Dodge Clipper. but at the same time my problem is I love huge vehicles and I have three buses and will have a lot of fun building it out this Spring. Got my wood shop all set up two Delta unisaws on with a router table. But yes a Dodge clipper would be awesome!!!!!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
From reading this, it does seem to make buying a former rental from a large firm a good idea. Only downside is that rentals likely have no slide-outs, which for some isn't a big deal.

I don't mind no slide out as my need for a motorhome is more for going to and fro somewhere. I like the idea of the ability to pull over and sleep or use the bathroom, nice if you have to stay a night you have your own bed and shower toilet etc. Also I am a musician and love to go to the Starvey Creek bluegrass festival which is only 40 miles from me. but have a motorhome to jam in or cool off bring food etc. Now if I was a fulltimer and or spend weeks at a time in a park or whavthaveyou yes I would most certainly want slideouts.

Sounds like a smaller Class B is what you need...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:

If someone damages a rental (puts a lawn chair on the roof for example) the renters insurance pays for it and anything else the rental company thinks may have damage.

unless of course if the chair sits on a rubber roof and crushes the plywood underneath the rubber creating a small divot. there have been many posts here where people recommend putting a piece of plywood down if they are going to occupy the roof, which might be done by an owner but won't be done by a renter.
bumpy

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one I bought from El Monte RV also had new curtains and
to answer the other comments about "germaphobe" the matress was new in a sealed plastic bag from mfg.

The cushions in the dinette were new with new foam and fabric, I checked that out.As for the toilet,The first thing I did was to replace the old cheap unsanitary hand flush one with a new Bravera foot flush, I really hated to bend over and stick my face down there to flush it.

The old standby of "look at all the Nascar races with the lawn chairs on them" just dosen't hold up. The roofs are inspected before and after each rental and if there is any sign of that they are charged for it.

After all they do have your credit card and you have signed a contract that will hold you to any damage or breach of that contract.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Get it checked and then buy with confidence. I have bought rental cars and trucks and was completely satisfied. They drove for another 120,000 miles before I traded them in.

If someone damages a rental (puts a lawn chair on the roof for example) the renters insurance pays for it and anything else the rental company thinks may have damage.

They do not care how rough you are on the vehicle, because they have your credit card and you have signed a statement saying you are responsible for damage.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Cruise America puts in new beds, cushions, curtains, and even replaces some appliances and other major cabin components if needed. The toilet however may not be new but is likely newish. At first I thought about changing my toilet but then I remembered I have used public restrooms several thousand times with no bad side effects that I know about. ๐Ÿ™‚

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I personally would never buy a rental (car, truck, RV etc...). That said I have seen they way they are maintained and driven "Drive it like you stole it"!

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

I would imagine buying a rental car, truck, RV etc, would be no different than buying a home that has been rented out. You need to have it checked out...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
After a very thorough inspection I would consider one.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
It does make great sense, to many, mits22. For some however, they cannot abide someone else having slept in the bed or used the bathroom. Those are probably the biggest issues. Plus, there are those that can afford to buy whatever it is that they want, and do so. (I wish I were they).
No doubt, if I could afford it, I'd have two. The one I have now and a geeezus big Prevost.

Gary Haupt
a can of lysol and a new mattress would be a must.
rich

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
It does make great sense, to many, mits22. For some however, they cannot abide someone else having slept in the bed or used the bathroom. Those are probably the biggest issues. Plus, there are those that can afford to buy whatever it is that they want, and do so. (I wish I were they).

No doubt, if I could afford it, I'd have two. The one I have now and a geeezus big Prevost.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
Another good thing buying a rental is.,, is that they charge you extra to run the generator. so i bet they have a lot less time on them than a private sale RV. and buying from a dealer is much better than a private person. Private sales are always high and less maintenance intervals. the more I think about it the more I think buying a former rental is a great idea.