cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Firearm Compliance

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Texas. For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not. What do I need to do when entering California to comply with the state laws regarding a handgun in my possession (either in the tow vehicle or in the camper).

TIA.....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
74 REPLIES 74

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI in CA it's not so simple as going to a 10 round Mag in CA for a AR-15. Look it up. LOTS of smoke n mirrors.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Well not to take this off track, BUT in Oregon there is a bill being introduced to limit purchase of ammo to 20 rounds per month!:S

We took a week long (Four Day) firearms class near Las Vegas, the recommended number of rounds per person was 1,200. There were four of us traveling there and had about 6,000 rounds of ammo with us for the class, and some possible extra shooting time.

Something else in common! We have taken courses there two times and are scheduled to go again in March and April.

I actually need to remove my ammo from my basement as the front rams can not lift the RV any longer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I don't want to derail this thread. However a lot of mentioning about mags with capacity of 10 rounds or less.

How does this apply to guns like my ole Smith 9mm that came with 15 round standard double stack mag?

You folks set me straight. The 10 round mags are even on ebay. :S Thanks

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
States which make their laws overly restrictive and do not accept rules that are considered standard norms in most other states choose to make folks unwelcome. I agree to their desires and avoid them.

In general you can find most of their non standard laws in general web searches. The magazine ban and some others are fairly recent.

Also organizations like USCCA offer reciprocity maps concerning states laws.
The safest thing is not to go there. They cant arrest you if you dont go there.

This is the tactic we use and will continue to use as I don't expect the situation to change in my lifetime.

There is still a federal statue called "Peaceable Transit" that basically said that if you are traveling any place, and what ever you are carrying is legal for you to own and carried in safe manor, you were in the clear. Unfortunately, activist judges in many anti-freedom states have found against this traditional statue.

I used to compete all over the place, but with these restrictions, it is no longer possible. Because none of the pieces I carry will comply with any of these states and the ammunition quantities allowed is less than I would carry for practice and a match, I have no choice but to not travel though those states. This has deigned several matches in recent years and has also caused me to cancel a Pacific Coast Road tour that was to end at a match in PNW.

I have plans to go to the Maritimes this next year. It will be less fun as I will have to drive past a match that I have never missed before. I am also considering missing New York, New Jersey and Massataxes and going through Canada. The fuel will cost more, but the laws are way less scary.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well not to take this off track, BUT in Oregon there is a bill being introduced to limit purchase of ammo to 20 rounds per month!:S

We took a week long (Four Day) firearms class near Las Vegas, the recommended number of rounds per person was 1,200. There were four of us traveling there and had about 6,000 rounds of ammo with us for the class, and some possible extra shooting time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA is 10 round MAX. Get the proper mag for your gun if you are in public with it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
I don't want to derail this thread. However a lot of mentioning about mags with capacity of 10 rounds or less.

How does this apply to guns like my ole Smith 9mm that came with 15 round standard double stack mag?

It depends upon how the statute is worded. Some states say that a 15 round mag is fine, but cannot be loaded with more than 10 rounds. Other states (like NY) say that you can only carry a weapon that carries 7 rounds or less... so if you have 7 rounds in an 8 round mag you are in violation.

You would have to physically block the SW mag so that it can only physically hold the maximum amount of rounds.

OP, you need to research each individual state that you wish to enter with a weapon. Every state is different. Maryland (with Baltimore City, one of the highest per capita murder rates in the free world...) has VERY strict guns laws (which do nothing to stop the criminals...). We do not accept any other states concealed or open carry permits. You have to be LEO, retired LEO or one of the very few with a Maryland carry permit.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

That firearm with that mag is illegal in some states.
By their law you must only carry non standard 10 round mags. There are aftermarket models available, and in all their wisdom, they do not limit the number of magazines you may carry, so as the old saying goes,
"Walk softly, and carry extra magazines."

One source for the lower capacity mags,,,
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/magazines/smith-and-wesson/m-and-p-handgun/9mm-magazines.do

TexasRangerRzR
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

And I'll extract the line you'll be interested in ... "California does not honor any other states Permits/Licenses".

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I just carry bear repellant. If it will stop a charging grizzly, it will turn a 200# thug into a wimpering little girl.

If you see it coming and have time to get your hands on the bear repellant, then it "might" help you at least have time to escape. But backed into a corner or a surprise encounter or when dealing with multiple thugs, a concealed firearm wins the day. I'm guessing you don't carry bear repellant in a holster when you're out shopping or enjoying a nice laid-back kinda day.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
You wanna know what to do? Start with exercising your constitutional right of keeping your mouth shut when it comes to your firearms. No officer is going to ask and unless it's in sight, no officer is going to have cause to search. Unless you give permission, the gun will remain undiscovered.
Which brings us to the question as to why you want to bring a gun into California. Unless the gun is right there, on hand, loaded and ready to shot at a moment's notice, then it's basically worthless to defend your life. If you can dig it out, load it, then shoot someone, then you could have just left the area instead.
If you just want to pass through, keep it hidden and don't discuss it with anyone.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I just carry bear repellant. If it will stop a charging grizzly, it will turn a 200# thug into a wimpering little girl.

Not if crazed on drugs!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.deansafe.com/transporting-guns-in-california.html
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
California does not recognize any other states CCW. As stated, gun unloaded in one part of the vehicle, empty 10 round mags and ammo somewhere else. Thatโ€™s the stated law. Iโ€™m one of the few Los Angeles County non Leo citizens that has a California CCW. It only took one year! Before I received my CCW I always carried two loaded handguns in the motorhome. A traffic violation does not warrant a search.

Please show were it states the ammo must be separate.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog