cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campfires for Dummies

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the sake of opening a can of worms, I thought I would share a PhotoShop image I created last year. The running joke in our circle of camping friends is my buddy Duane who fancies himself a master campfire builder. No matter how big the fire gets, I poke and prod him that the fire isn't sufficiently big enough until it's "eye-level."

Again, this is all fun, and we have very safe fires. Please don't preach from your moral high ground.

Here is the image I created just for my buddy...

Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
47 REPLIES 47

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love watching people empty a can of charcoal lighter trying to get a fire started. Fail!

I carry tiki torch fuel, glorified kerosene, for an old fashioned lantern. Put a bit at the bottom, along with some pages from an old CG directory & away we go.

If it is a little stubborn out comes the air compressor with the narrow nozzle to give it some air. Works well! Tim Allen's bellows.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Beebo wrote:
Is there a chapter on what is good to burn?
Many of the "dummies" camped near me tend to burn diapers, chicken bones, styrofoam dinner ware, beer cans, broken shower shoes and assorted empty cardboard and plastic food containers.
Book should be set out and distributed at check in stations.

I've never seen anyone burn a diaper. (Thankfully) But, I have had to chastise friends for throwing Styrofoam and plastic dinnerware into the fire . After you tell them they go "Oh , your right" They just don't think about it and do it instinctively. I also growl at them for the Cigarette butts they put in there. Beer cans are sometimes a problem. The next day I have to pick them out. I try to not let people do that.

I don't know what a shower shoe is.

I see nothing wrong with chicken bones. As long as the next day you get them out of there before the dog can get to them.

I burn cardboard myself all the time. (Beer cases etc.) I would not want to cook on the fire while it is actually burning but, they flare up quickly and are gone.

When I leave the campsite I make sure the fire is out and the firepit is clean. (Except for ashes) At times when getting to the campsite I have had to clean the ashes out before I have a fire but, that is part of camping. The fancy state parks and stuff take care of this but, they cost more. The affordable parks I often frequent are more of a "fend for yourself" type environment.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a chapter on what is good to burn?
Many of the "dummies" camped near me tend to burn diapers, chicken bones, styrofoam dinner ware, beer cans, broken shower shoes and assorted empty cardboard and plastic food containers.
Book should be set out and distributed at check in stations.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:
At the sake of opening a can of worms, I thought I would share a PhotoShop image I created last year. The running joke in our circle of camping friends is my buddy Duane who fancies himself a master campfire builder. No matter how big the fire gets, I poke and prod him that the fire isn't sufficiently big enough until it's "eye-level."

Again, this is all fun, and we have very safe fires. Please don't preach from your moral high ground.

Nice work!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
You are lucky that Smokey The Bear wasn't nearby at the time, he might have taken a whiz on your campfire. :B

Smokey and I have a lot in common these days:

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see you "Grunts" getting out and enjoying life!

1/20th Inf 11th LIB, Americal ... Duc Pho
Times fun when you're having flies!

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
acker1 wrote:
Back when I was in the Army we were 111 for infantry. I think that 11B started a couple of years later.

DICK

The MOS codes were reformed in 1983. I served during the Gulf War, 1990-1994. I'm proud to call you my brother, Dick.

~Tim
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
westend wrote:
I hate it when someone dumps 5 gallons of gas with a wick, then lights it off. There is no need for that.

You have actually seen this happen? 5 Gallons of gas has a huge energy release.

Five gals of gas, being ignited, would be similar to OPs pic! I'd want to stand back at least a city block!:E I've seen people give the wood a shot of gas from a can, before lighting, which causes a loud wooomp, upon combustion.

Jerry

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I hate it when someone dumps 5 gallons of gas with a wick, then lights it off. There is no need for that.

You have actually seen this happen? 5 Gallons of gas has a huge energy release.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
The fire need not be huge cause that burns alot of wood. Small stack, with a little fuel to light it and good to go. If we have plenty of wood we can add it anytime.

I've done this many, many times. I hate it when someone dumps 5 gallons of gas with a wick, then lights it off. There is no need for that.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I was in the Army we were 111 for infantry. I think that 11B started a couple of years later.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:
kep5niner wrote:
Everything I needed to know about fire building I learned in SERE school. Knee-high fire, thumb-size fuel, 10 minutes or less... I can still hear that going through my head, and that was almost 1.5 decades ago. Thought you'd appreciate that 11B.;)

No doubt! I still miss heat tabs. However, I was Light Infantry. We never made fires or "pitched a tent" using our shelter halves. Light Infantry meant we had no vehicles...we carried everything we needed on our backs. The sleeping bag I was issued was turned back in after 4 years, never taken to the field. I used my protective mask as a pillow and a poncho/poncho liner as a blanket.

My infantry experience is the reason I told my wife when we first married that I would never camp again. I did relent and we did camp in tents for a few years, but the RV lifestyle is far better.

Light Infantry is anything but light!

Lots of respect 11B... from a former flyboy.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Army11Bravo wrote:

lol The heck with just the cover write the whole dammed book ! It will be a best seller !!! (Well it will sell anyway)

Show how to have a normal campfire, throw in some of your army experience, add in a little dose of humor and it will sell like hotcakes.

Contact me and I'll help with some ideas.

Seriously .

I would love to have a copy, just to sit on the picnic table while while hosting, we have fires most nights.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I like that lol