cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CAMPGROUND PIGS

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
I've been visiting a lot of National Parks lately and have been astonished at how people trash the facilities, Specifically, the camp sink and restrooms.
Camp sinks routinely have food scraps in them and one had 1 foot of backed up water with food floating around. Lately its been scrambled eggs and bacon grease in the sink. I always wipe my pots and dishes with a paper towel and leave no food scraps. How hard is that to do?
Also, a lot of overflowing toilets and an overflowing urinal. Someone had to put something down that urinal to accomplish that.
Anyone else encounter this?
Rant is over.
87 REPLIES 87

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Makes you wonder how people live at home.

No, it doesn't. At home, they generally don't have someone to clean up after them. In a CG? Let the lackeys do it. :M
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
A family came in and used the picnic facilities for a birthday party. When they left, they threw the left over CAKE into the fire pit. Seriously ?? I wanted to drag them back and rub their noses in it.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Makes you wonder how people live at home.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Things my wife told me about in the women's bathrooms were really something I found almost unbelievable. I always thought of women as a cleaner of the two sexes.

We hosted and managed CG's for a number of years. As such, we cleaned our share of BR's. My wife will be the first to attest to, and I will corroborate the fact that women are FAR messier in a public setting.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

et2
Explorer
Explorer
From all the things I've seen in the past years when we didn't have our own bathroom was enough to make you sick. Things my wife told me about in the women's bathrooms were really something I found almost unbelievable, except my wife wouldn't lie to me. I always thought of women as a cleaner of the two sexes. Not from the details. Undesirables hanging around the bath houses etc, etc. Men in the women's bathroom women in the men's.

But we have found that the private campgrounds and more so the resorts that get the high prices, this problem is non existent.

I still can't stop to wonder if people's homes are kept the way some of the posts discribe. Filthy pigs, which is another reason we don't do buffets, but that is a whole other post. You never know who they're

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I think one of the biggest problems regarding poor use of camp sinks is too many know only automatic dishwashers. When I told a kiddo I was camping with that she needed to wipe out the dishes before washing them she looked at me strangely at first but listened and thanked me for the knowledge ultimately. Said at home they just stick the plates in the machine.

Anyone emptying a Porta Potty into any kind of sink is just a pig. Fortunately I don't run into that type too often.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stay exclusively in privately owned RV parks. The owners have a vested interest in keeping the place cleaned up and enforcing the rules, including quiet hours.
I've driven through a state park near my home. On weekends, it turns into a party place. One person signs up for a camp site, then all their friends pay just an entrance fee, hang out in the same site and drink their brains out. Then on Monday, the underpaid and outnumbered staff has to clean up after them.
You get what you pay for.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
We find that the most disgusting mess is in parks with large day use area located adjacent to urban areas. The mess in rural parks is of the less nasty variety, consisting mostly of beer cans, aluminum foil, cigarette butts and broken glass. In our experience the dirty diapers and food leavings seem to be more of a city, suburban problem!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

I find that corporal punishment never scarred me mentally or every other person in my generation that saw the use of a belt, switch (AKA Tree Branch, hand or paddle.

We sit around the Campfire and discuss the current state of parenting, which in a lot of cases doesn't seem to be working. Yes, welts were common, but it was usually one or two strikes to the Buttocks or upper thighs. Most male teaches had a "Board of Education" hanging on their desk.
It pains me to read this. When I was a kid, I suffered many beatings for no good reason other than I had violated some unknown rule that my dad may have arbitrarily imposed or sometimes he may have just been in a bad mood.

This past weekend a friend and I were comparing how our parents beat us. He told me stories about how his mother made him kneel on a bed of rice because she couldn't find any rough pavement for him to kneel on and one time she chained him to the bed for a day. But the one that almost made me cry was when she beat him so hard with a wire coat hangar. After an hour or two she realized she went overboard and decided to take him to Disney the next day. Unfortunately, the cuts were so bad that she had to use makeup to hide them on his face. As he told me the story, I realized that Dick Cheney had nothing on this woman.

I realize that you aren't advocating child abuse, but I don't think you realize the pain and suffering that some kids receive at the end of their parents reach. As a result of our upbringings, my friend and I are both raising our 5 children (combined) without violence. Neither of us use corporal punishment nor do we allow it to happen to them. I think you'd be very surprised to see how well behaved they all are.

You are correct, the is NO fine line between Corporal Punishment and Child Abuse/Beating!

The offense needed to be very bad and the punishment was quick, two strikes at most. It was the threat more than the actual punishment that kept us going in the right direction.

I had a couple of cousins that had an abusive father, and suffered badly at times. I don't recall getting the belt or switch more than about once a year.

Your examples are terrible forms of parenting, and should never be tolerated.
just wondering why you folks insist on taking this post off topic? The topic is PIGS in the CG. :R
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a trip to western NY state, via Ohio & PA. While staying in Willow Bay Campground we saw a notice on the bulletin board, that I wished we had photographed. It read something to the effect that: "you will be billed for the clean-up of liter in your campsite including and in particularly inside the fire ring."
Wish more places would adapt this policy!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I thought this is what the thread was going to be about:

A Jayco Jay Feather being towed with VW Touareg TDI diesel? That's what I see.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
holstein13 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

I find that corporal punishment never scarred me mentally or every other person in my generation that saw the use of a belt, switch (AKA Tree Branch, hand or paddle.

We sit around the Campfire and discuss the current state of parenting, which in a lot of cases doesn't seem to be working. Yes, welts were common, but it was usually one or two strikes to the Buttocks or upper thighs. Most male teaches had a "Board of Education" hanging on their desk.
It pains me to read this. When I was a kid, I suffered many beatings for no good reason other than I had violated some unknown rule that my dad may have arbitrarily imposed or sometimes he may have just been in a bad mood.

This past weekend a friend and I were comparing how our parents beat us. He told me stories about how his mother made him kneel on a bed of rice because she couldn't find any rough pavement for him to kneel on and one time she chained him to the bed for a day. But the one that almost made me cry was when she beat him so hard with a wire coat hangar. After an hour or two she realized she went overboard and decided to take him to Disney the next day. Unfortunately, the cuts were so bad that she had to use makeup to hide them on his face. As he told me the story, I realized that Dick Cheney had nothing on this woman.

I realize that you aren't advocating child abuse, but I don't think you realize the pain and suffering that some kids receive at the end of their parents reach. As a result of our upbringings, my friend and I are both raising our 5 children (combined) without violence. Neither of us use corporal punishment nor do we allow it to happen to them. I think you'd be very surprised to see how well behaved they all are.

You are correct, the is NO fine line between Corporal Punishment and Child Abuse/Beating!

The offense needed to be very bad and the punishment was quick, two strikes at most. It was the threat more than the actual punishment that kept us going in the right direction.

I had a couple of cousins that had an abusive father, and suffered badly at times. I don't recall getting the belt or switch more than about once a year.

Your examples are terrible forms of parenting, and should never be tolerated.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We don't go camping in the summer because, while I'm probably over simplifying the problem, spring, fall and winter campers seem to be better at it.I think some folks are new to camping when they go in the summer and just don't get it. Children sent to wash the dishes, just don't get it. Large groups just don't get it and unfortunately, folks who make the messes don't come here so they will never get it.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

BRAVO!!! And your last two sentence are so true. You may be surprised at how good your kids can turn out when they are treated with love and respect in all instances. I don't think hitting your kid shows either love or respect.