cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping with 10 month old grandson - dining solution?

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice. Will be camping with my 10 month old grandson...along with 2 other adults and 4 yr. old granddaughter in a 27ft travel trailer (with slide-out).

We are thinking we have figured out the sleeping arrangements (I've been kicked out into a tent); anyone have a solution for a ten month old dining arrangement? We can take a highchair but not lots of room.

Also any camping with grandkids advice is welcome.
29 REPLIES 29

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We started full-timing just before our daughter was born. She's almost a year old now. We've used a Bumbo with good results, but there's a "camping" high chair from an outfit called Ciao. We are looking to get one this month. Folds up like a regular camping chair.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd eat outside any time the weather allowed. Baby either in a portable high chair that hangs on the end of the table, or on an adult's lap. Who ever is done eating first then takes baby until others are done. ( In our family - baby would be with grandma giving mom a break)

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
go to amazon type in folding high chair for baby and they have lots of different ones on there
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
27 ft trailer and kids? You've got it made. We tented when our daughter was still in diapers. She had her own air mattress and sleeping bag. You hold the child in your arms when feeding. You spread a big blanket out on your site to give them a place to play. As said above, a ball, pail and shovel. She didn't die from any of it. It's camping, give them the camping experience.

BTW, she's in her 30s now and still camps in a tent with her husband. It's in her blood now.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Our daughter was 5 weeks old the first time she went camping. We never had any problems that we wouldn't have had at home. My only problem would be the tent for me.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have whichever parent is not your child stay home with the baby. Breast feeding may be a factor here. If you have them all come drop off the trailer for them and go back and get the wreckage when they are ready to come home.
Our 13 month GS would destroy our fiver in one day, the 13 month GD not quite so quick. But they are adorable, just so darn busy.
Puma 30RKSS

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My camper/RV, my bed. I will not lose my bed and be forced outside in a tent. My quests can stay home before that happens.

I can't give advise on camping with grandkids that aren't potty trained or can eat regular food, because grandkids that young don't go camping with me.

We watch our 14 month old twin grandsons a lot, but we're either at our son's house or at our house. We have taken our 4 year old granddaughter camping though.

Once the boys get potty trained and eating regular food, the boys will be able to come with us also.

VAfan wrote:
Looking for advice. Will be camping with my 10 month old grandson...along with 2 other adults and 4 yr. old granddaughter in a 27ft travel trailer (with slide-out).

We are thinking we have figured out the sleeping arrangements (I've been kicked out into a tent); anyone have a solution for a ten month old dining arrangement? We can take a highchair but not lots of room.

Also any camping with grandkids advice is welcome.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We used a portable highchair for both our granddaughters; bought it at Walmart. It folded flat and we stored it under the bed.

Y-Guy
Kids eat first, give them a book or some "device" and adults eat.

Kids are resilient, they can "camp" on the floor without being worse for the wear. I have no plans on camping in a tent when grand kids arrive. My back is not as resilient. ๐Ÿ™‚

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Outside.......

Otherwise........mom's lap at table

Or dad's lap at table... ๐Ÿ˜‰

X2 in a non sexist let's share the load manner:D.

Children that young are easily amused. A box covered in colorful gift wrap provides days of fun since they can sit in it and/or tear the paper off. A ball. Pail and shovel.
Done;).

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a little plastic seat that sat on the picnic table that had a tray that snapped over the front. Like a high chair minus the legs.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used a Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat. It collapses down to the size of the base and is lightweight.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Outside.......

Or dad's lap at table... ๐Ÿ˜‰
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
They make a collapsible child's chair that hooks onto a picnic table. we have used a canvas one years ago with our kids and a newer model with the grandkids.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Outside.......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31