cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite Liability - insurance issues

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
My RV insurer (National Interstate) tells me that when we rent an RV site we become liable for any mishaps on the site similar to at our homes, e.g. If a visitor trips on the fire pit and cracks his skull. They have coverage called "vacation liability" for those issues.
This got me thinking. When I rent a cabin in the mountains I expect the owner to carry the insurance. Why would RV sites be different?
My homeowners insurance agent (State Farm) is not familiar with that concept and says it may be a secondary coverage with the owner carrying the primary. she is researching it because I asked for a quote on the RV coverage.
Is this a real issue or is the insurance company intimidating me to double insure like they do for rental cars?
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds
30 REPLIES 30

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
when you rent a motel room, are you liable for accidents in there?
bumpy
I can guarantee if an ember goes up off your campfire and burns your neighbors $500,000.00 Prevost to the ground your going to be sued. The judge will decide whether or not your liable and I don't think "renting" will be a factor in his decision. And I wouldn't be surprised if you got sued if you were smoking in bed and burnt the motel down.

Wouldn't they have to prove it came from my fire? and then there is. You parked in a area you knew would have campfires. So it's up to you to use reasonable care. Shouldn't have parked beside a fire.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ever here the term "insurance poor"? That's when someone has so much insurance they can't afford to do anything else!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
With all this worrying, probably best just to stay home.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

It depends on the type of 'accident' in the motel room. :W

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
OP, if I had an insurance agent that I trusted and that knew my insurance coverages, then I would dam sure trust what they were telling me over what some joker on the internet that knew nothing about me or what I was insured for was saying. If you want a second opinion go to another agent and show him your insurance policies and get his opinion. Any opinion you get here isn't worth jack.

That is the best response that I've seen!

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
OP, if I had an insurance agent that I trusted and that knew my insurance coverages, then I would dam sure trust what they were telling me over what some joker on the internet that knew nothing about me or what I was insured for was saying. If you want a second opinion go to another agent and show him your insurance policies and get his opinion. Any opinion you get here isn't worth jack.

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Where we are at requires 300, 000.00 liability. We rent by the year. We have 1 million in coverage
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy
I can guarantee if an ember goes up off your campfire and burns your neighbors $500,000.00 Prevost to the ground your going to be sued. The judge will decide whether or not your liable and I don't think "renting" will be a factor in his decision. And I wouldn't be surprised if you got sued if you were smoking in bed and burnt the motel down.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect reason for not liking strangers and kids using your campsite as a pathway. Now your liable for them tripping over your chairs or what ever else you leave out.

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they are just trying to sell more insurance to you.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Does this also mean you can sue them for trespassing? Seems it should go both ways.

In your rig yes.
On the campsite NO
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does this also mean you can sue them for trespassing? Seems it should go both ways.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we FTd we used National Interstate and had a 'home owners' policy plus truck/rv comp/collision/liability

Now that we weekend camp.....just normal truck/rv comp/coll/liability

National Interstate Ins. caters to Full Timers and are giving you the opportunity to have FULL coverage........up-selling :B (would you like to make that a Large Sir?)

We were very pleased with National Interstate...but sounds like they are marketing their services.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
You are possibly liable to the extent that you caused the occurrence either by neglect or action. ie: you leave your skateboard outside where someone trips on it, you put a tether line on your pet and someone trips over it, run an extension cord across the patio...... You get the idea. You are not responsible if someone falls on eneven ground in the campsite. However, what happens inside your RV is your responsibility which you are likely covered for under your RV policy. This is to the best of my understanding after my discussion with my insurance agent.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC