cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't fix stupid

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the middle of the block in town. Not a super busy street, but not a quiet one either. There are intersections less than 200' each side of me.

Here's the deal. I have to back the TT into my front yard, between 2 trees 12' apart. Not hard to do really. I always wait until traffic clears. But it NEVER fails that after I start the process, a car will come over the hill and run right up to the front of the truck, or rear of the TT. Understand, they can see me for more than 2 blocks, and there is ample time for them to turn, and go around, but they still come on. So guess what. They get to sit, and watch the master back slowly out of the road.
Once I get 50' of TV, and TT stretched out across a 30' road, ain't nobody getting by.
Were it me, and I saw a TT across the road, and I had a couple intersections to turn and go around. I'd do it in a New York minute.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
53 REPLIES 53

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 54 feet long. RV is parked beside the house and when I say beside, there's a foot between house and slide (when extended). on the other side is my neighbors VUE. We can't both open at the same time. ("Common drive-way"). So I pull into the gas station across the street, try to have the wife watch traffic and signal when clear. Street is a 3 lane (center turn lane), and a 35 mph speed limit (usually 45-50 as it's 500 feet to US 13. I've sometimes waited 5 minutes in the gas station for traffic to clear in both directions to start backing. ONCE I'm in the road, moving, they just have to wait. Occassionally, a considerate driver will stop, but that's rare.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The one that gets me is I will be travelling and pull in somewhere and park the truck/TT way out in a parking lot where there is no cars in sight, across parking spots to be out of the way, not block traffic lanes and to ease my exit and some fool will come and park two spots in front of me.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

lizbard
Explorer
Explorer
They are probably late for work or whatever function. They did not allow for enough time and now they have to wait for you. Maybe the boss said one more time of being late and it will cost them. If they knew that, why didn't they allow for extra time?

When I was working, many a time I almost had an accident because someone was running late and not allowing for traffic. Glad I no longer live in the big city.

We retired to a small town that has a college. Summer school is out now so we can get from north to south in about 20 min or less. When school starts back, college and elementary, jr high and high school, we know where to avoid at the different times.

Just take your time and let them learn how to park a trailer. Maybe they are jealous that you had a way of getting out of town.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I have the same thing backing in at home... I have to loop through my front yard and out the side and then back straight as possible into side yard. The street is pretty narrow and to avoid the trees in my yard, it sometimes takes me a couple of tries. It amazes me how close some of the folks pull while I am trying to back. Sometimes so close, I can't even make a hard turn with truck to straighten out how I am heading with trailer. And I live just off a highway, so I understand cars coming in sometimes. I live on a road that makes a circle from the highway, with two entry points. The road name is XXXXX Circle. It's ones that come in and weight for me to get out of their way, pull into a house down the road, and then turn around and come right back out, that amaze me. Especially when they sit there and you can see they are obviously angry at having to wait. I mean come on people, there are two ends to the street that both connect to the same highway.. it is a CIRCLE.

There you go. From my street you can see 2 streets that will get you past me. But they would rather rush me.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same thing backing in at home... I have to loop through my front yard and out the side and then back straight as possible into side yard. The street is pretty narrow and to avoid the trees in my yard, it sometimes takes me a couple of tries. It amazes me how close some of the folks pull while I am trying to back. Sometimes so close, I can't even make a hard turn with truck to straighten out how I am heading with trailer. And I live just off a highway, so I understand cars coming in sometimes. I live on a road that makes a circle from the highway, with two entry points. The road name is XXXXX Circle. It's ones that come in and weight for me to get out of their way, pull into a house down the road, and then turn around and come right back out, that amaze me. Especially when they sit there and you can see they are obviously angry at having to wait. I mean come on people, there are two ends to the street that both connect to the same highway.. it is a CIRCLE.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Or maybe they just like to watch...they have a rig like yours and need to figure out how to do it right. Or they have a rig like yours and like to watch to see how many times it takes for you to get it right.

Once
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lizbard wrote:

If the cash registers don't tell the kids how to make change, they look lost. Since they are texting with the abbreviations, some kids don't know how to spell either.

I had a secretary once who thought Australia was one of the 50 states. She got that from the Internet so it had to be true.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I get the same thing. Difference is I live out in the sticks and we get about 10 cars a day that go by and it is all farming neighbors doing the farm thing. Never fails I get home on Sunday afternoon and pull across the road to line up to back into my parking place and some moron sight seeing idiot from out of state will come around the corner. I see way too many of them throw their hands in the air like it is the end of the world that I slowed them down for a minute
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Not unlike the campground when you start to back in, that is when they come out to see how you do it. My street sounds similar to yours. When someone pulls up on me, it just makes me go slower. I figure it this way. If they want me in their way, I'll do my best to give em what they want. What I find interesting is that once I am out of the way, and their car passes, it is not unusual for the driver to give me a friendly wave. With all five fingers up. I wonder why they feel compelled to do that? I wave back to them.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I have seen the same thing in campgrounds! You are trying to back into your site having to jockey around trees and your neighbors truck that has been left out in the road and someone will pull up close to you and give you that impatient stare, fingers drumming on the wheel. I even had one honk at me when I got out to make sure I was clear.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar situation. We live on a busy corner and it never fails that as we start the process of backing into the driveway, someone will come flying up the road. Oh well, they just have to wait for us to get our TT out of the way!
Elise ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2 V8
2018 2804RK Open Range

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Terryallan wrote:
I live in the middle of the block in town. Not a super busy street, but not a quiet one either. There are intersections less than 200' each side of me.

Here's the deal. I have to back the TT into my front yard, between 2 trees 12' apart. Not hard to do really. I always wait until traffic clears. But it NEVER fails that after I start the process, a car will come over the hill and run right up to the front of the truck, or rear of the TT. Understand, they can see me for more than 2 blocks, and there is ample time for them to turn, and go around, but they still come on. So guess what. They get to sit, and watch the master back slowly out of the road.
Once I get 50' of TV, and TT stretched out across a 30' road, ain't nobody getting by.
Were it me, and I saw a TT across the road, and I had a couple intersections to turn and go around. I'd do it in a New York minute.
Perhaps they are there to watch the show and hoping you'll hit one of the trees. Then they'll have a funny story to tell their friends around the campfire about the idiot that was trying to back his trailer into his yard and hit a tree. Or perhaps they're just not in a hurry and they figure you're expert enough that you will only be a minute. Don't know how any of that would suggest they're "Stupid". Maybe you're afraid you'll hit the tree and look stupid and don't want anyone to see it. Why would you call them stupid?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps they are enjoying the show?

I know many times here in the campground I have sat out at the Picnic table and enjoyed the show.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lizbard
Explorer
Explorer
In reply to the cashier not knowing how to make change when they receive extra, the schools are encouraging kids to use calculators too soon as far as I am concerned. We had to learn the multiplication tables, I think in 3rd grade. When I go to the store, I take a few minutes extra adding up using pen and paper to keep the brain keen. I use a calculator to double check at home when doing a project, balancing check book, etc. but otherwise it is the old fashioned way.

Did you hear the schools are going to quit teaching cursive? They feel it is not necessary since everyone does their writing on the computer. How are they going to sign their paychecks? Print their name or use an "X"?

If the cash registers don't tell the kids how to make change, they look lost. Since they are texting with the abbreviations, some kids don't know how to spell either.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
I have the same situation as the OP, except no trees. People speed around a curve going up a hill despite the posted 20 mph limit and are presented with a wall of aluminum backing up or the side of my TV. I have seen their front ends dive as the result of panic braking. Some go over the neighbor's lawn across the street. It's so bad that I'm considering having a sign made and plant it in the ground on the blind curve. Have not decided what it would say yet...

"Construction Ahead. Be prepared to STOP" or "Road Closed Ahead", or "Speed Bumps Ahead, Max Speed 10MPH"