cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadians - Pay at the Pump in the U.S.

kellymisty
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet. Canadians can now pay at the pump at U.S. gas stations where zip code is required with some Canadian credit cards.
9 REPLIES 9

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We use COSTCO gas stations as much as possible for local and travel. Noticed a while back that we had to put a zip in, we have used Costco gas for years and never needed a zip. Lately no more zip code. In Simi Valley where the DD and our DGKs live they still require the zip. I asked the attendent about it and he said they were told in advance that it would start and when it would end. It was a COSTCO program and only took a few months. It was not and is not a CC company requirement. I have asked several CC Co Customer Service types why and all have replied it is to gather marketing information for someone else.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

pjhansman
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from a trip thru VT, NH, PA, WV, V and TN. Used my US$ Visa (from a Canadian bank) many times, and not once was asked for a Zip Code.

Not sure if it was because of the US$ card or just good luck.
Phil & Rae.....and 2 feline furkids to make travel interesting ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Keystone Laredo 316RL
2005 Ford F250 SD, 6L PSD, 4x4
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Good news. It is a pain in the assets to pay inside everytime. We always keep our smart car on the upper half of the tank just in case of earthquake etc. The attendant always gets a laugh when Angela goes in with 8 bucks to fill up our little smart car diesel.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a BMO USD MasterCard. The mailing address is my home address, the billing address is a friend's NY address. I use his zip code at US gas stations. It works 100% of the time, when asked for a zip code.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I find the stations close to the border don't require a zip. It's only when I get farther south. Sure wish the US would go chip and pin like most of the world.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. As mentioned by dieharder, the concept has been around for awhile. My experience and that of others (a number of past threads on this) has been that the postal code thing at the pump works frequently but not always, whether with MasterCard or Visa, but maybe they've expanded the concept since last winter?? I got tired of this a few years back and now put a US address on my BMO US$ MasterCard and the Zip for that works at the pump all the time.

Some interesting posts here: Postal Code instead of ZIP at the pump?

Canadians can also use their debit cards at the pump at some gas stations but there is less fraud protection than provided by a credit card. Some other workarounds: Zip Code Work-Arounds
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't new. My postal code is K1V 8T4 and have been using 18400 for quite a few years now, with no problem, up and down the east coast.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
We always pay inside as most pumps limit at 75-100$

Just ask them to run the card again and you can fill up. At least hear in Oregon anyway.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
We always pay inside as most pumps limit at 75-100$