cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chinese tire question

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we need another Chinese tire question (think Towmax not Saluins sp?)

There are those on these boards who aren't bothered by them and there are others who wouldn't put them on a wheel barrow for fear of a blowout hauling a load of mulch.

I'm in the camp of it depends. For the sake of simplicity I am using round numbers here. For instance my unit has 16" Towmax tires with a rating of #3520 each or #14k+ total. Loaded weight of our unit is approximately 10k and figuring 20% pin that leaves me 8k on the tires.

I am having a hard time justifying better tires at this point because:

1. I have lots of reserve # left on my tires.

2. I don't put a ton of miles on per year, 1200-1500 miles, stay fairly close to home - for now.

3. It stays inside year round meaning little sun on the tires.

I would think much differently if tires were closer to max, drive lots of miles per year or drive out in the hot desert even. My thoughts at this point are to ride them for the 5 years then ditch them for Goodyear Endurance or the like.

20 years I never had an issue with tires on our campers, although though I have had a couple on my construction trailers (more abuse).

What do you think? agree or disagree with my assessment?

Lets keep it civil please :C

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
22 REPLIES 22

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good assessment

Now if you put 10k-15k miles a year mostly at interstate speeds on those tire like I do then those load C/D/E china maypops go on CL for folks with lawn service trailers that never make long trips..

China made load G tires are mostly for commercial service and are a step up from most of the china made lower load range trailer tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the Craigslist camp and cashed out my Chinese tires while they looked good.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Had Goodyear ST's; at 4 years and 1 week from manufacture date peeled a tread. TT was 2 years old. Replaced with China made Duran. At 4 years replaced even though they looked new. According to the tire people I deal with the less you use trailer tires the more likely they will fail before 4 years.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Chinese tires on my Farm Goose Neck that I overload all the time and I've never had an issue. Keep them inflated properly and abuse them all the time.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had Carlisle ST tires on my toyhauler, they were good for about the same weight as what yours are. I was running about 2500 lbs. weight on each wheel. They were 2 years old and less than 8,000 miles when two of them destroyed themselves, and did a couple thousand dollars worth of damage to the toyhauler. They were covered during the winter and always run at max air pressure.

There is no way to tell if your tires will last or if they will explode. Just depends on how lucky you feel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar thoughts a few years ago. Don't get overly concerned about internet chatter.

My 5er had Kenda's. Lots of chatter about them failing.

Tires were 2 seasons old, when we had a failure (tread separation). Tires were properly inflated because I had been concerned, but not paranoid.

Cost to repair body damage was $1500. I replaced all the tires on that trip and never had another failure.............so far.

Damage to your rig is usually a bigger problem than just replacing tires.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
When a component is mission critical, I opt to try to stack the odds in my favor by using the best tool for the job.

Tires are important.

Preferring to succeed in making my travels as trouble free as possible, I don't skimp dollars when it comes time to buy tires.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had Chinese tires on my last TT. No problems in over 14,000 miles in over 7 plus years. Still looked good when I sold the TT. My TT weighed 7,800 + I would agree with you
samsontdog:o:W