cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning top of slide at campground

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
My new tt has a slide and this is new for me. The dealer said it was important to clean the slide off before closing it at the campground. What are some easy ways that you clean your slide. I know I could pack a ladder and a broom but I would like to avoid dragging a ladder with me everytime I go camping.
28 REPLIES 28

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
I use a leaf blower that I attach a section of rain down spout and 90 degree elbow to and blow off debris from the ground.

Happy Camping
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to carry a ladder, you could make a PVC extension pole with a couple of 90's and attach a broom head. I made something similar to clean my rain gutters at home.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
PackerBacker wrote:
I use a cordless Black & Decker leaf blower, works really well.

Same here and it's handy for all kinds of stuff around the camp site.

Get SLIDE TOPPERS.. And don't look back..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

T_in_Michigan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, keep a 6' ladder and broom in the camper at all times and send the oldest son up to brush off the slide whenever we break down camp.

Too easy to do and well worth the trouble.
2000 Chevy Suburban 2500 6L 3.73
2013 Keystone Springdale 297BHRSS
Wife and 3 Boys
Crazy Dog and 2 Cats

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small lightweight ladder and a broom just for the trailer. I guess the ladder could be left out, but can't see camping without a broom anyways. Always some dirt tracked inside.

As for the ladder, sometimes its not high enough to get up there, so I use my wood leveling blocks (4x4) to stack on the top level and stand on those if I need a little more height. Not ideal but it works. Ladder comes in handy and fits easily in our storage area.

I think the blower idea is probably the best I've heard...I just don't want to pack something else.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Double post. delete.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It only makes sense to brush or blow off the slide before retracting it. As stated above, sticks and twigs, (anything) could tear the rubber roof, or poke the rubber seals around the slide. And as someone else said, when they don't clean it off, they get leaves and such 'inside' the camper! (and then some folks wonder why their slides leak around the seals, hum????)

I keep a ladder and a broom available all the time so I can brush all 3 of my slides off before retracting. Pain in the neck? Maybe? But a ripped roof or punctured seals is a bigger pain in the neck AND the pocketbook!

I brush until it's 100% free of everything. I use a painters pole (a long one that collapses with a soft fluffy RV brush). I keep a 6 foot step ladder in the bed of the truck. And every time the slides are retracted, I brush them off first. Also, while I have the brush, I usually run it in the gutter track. It bunches up with small droppings from trees real fast. This has just become part of the camp tear down procedure. I've spent too much on my camper to simply disregard something so simple to do and could result in such an expensive repair. Whenever parked under trees, you are taking a risk if you don't clean it off.

An easier way? I haven't found one yet, and I'm the guy that's always looking for the easiest solution.

Last week-end we were parked near a tree. I dropped all kinds of small stuff on the camper, truck, all around and we were not even directly under the tree. The little green seed pods (or whatever they were), were real sticky. They clung to everything. I had to really work to get them off the dog! And the awning and the slides. But I did and the dog is much happier now too! (and so am I).

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dee74 wrote:
My new tt has a slide and this is new for me. The dealer said it was important to clean the slide off before closing it at the campground. What are some easy ways that you clean your slide. I know I could pack a ladder and a broom but I would like to avoid dragging a ladder with me everytime I go camping.

do your slides have slide toppers...a fabric covering that rolls out and in with the slide? if so you won't need to clean the tops as the topper will keep 99% of the crud of the slide. if not then consider adding them.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
After purchasing first trailer with slideout, I decided that a slide toper was the answer. Other than that, ladder and broom or a blower is the answer. Slide topper also avoids problems with water on top of the slideout. Downside of slide toppers is that you can get some noise in strong winds and possible pooling of water. For pooling of water, I simply bring in the slideout slowly and allow water to run off.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If you camp where trees are over your rig then you should clean it off because STICKS and TWIGS can rip the roofing material when bringing it in. I was in a GC under pine trees and it dropped so many cones and twigs it would have been total destruction if it had not been cleaned off. I have a ladder on the back of my TT so its not an issue getting up there.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use a cordless Black & Decker leaf blower, works really well.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Had a slide in the last TT with no slide topper and never cleaned it off for 8 years, I did wash it every couple years. We got some leaves inside a few times when closing but that's it. We do have toppers on the slides now.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
In August, I will have had my trailer 3 years. Dealer had likely told me something similar. Initially I was worried about it, brought step ladder and push broom, rarely got much off. Since then, have been out in it every month since purchase, now only look at top twice a year when I'm on top cleaning and inspecting roof of trailer. Don't know if lucky, or reality is that not much collects there.

Your experience may vary!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS