cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of your hobby

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I am constantly asked by non Rv'ing friends and family how expensive this hobby is.
I did not figure the cost of the truck as I have always had one,I spread the cost of the trailer out over a guessstimated life of ten years. Nor did I depreciate either the truck or trailer as I tend to keep things till the wheels fall off.
Any way I came up with a ballpark of 1.25 per traveled mile of outing. More if it is a destination trip much lower for simple short camping.
If any of you have figured it out where do you come in at?
74 REPLIES 74

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
I'm a single, retired RVer. I spent most of my working life traveling for the company and staying in hotels. Nice ones, but still a hotel. Eating my meals in the hotel restaurant and watching TV while sitting on the bed. I forgot how to talk.
I retired early, bought a Class 'B' which turned out to be too small and required unhooking to visit what I came to see. Bought a 40' 'C' and a Jeep toad. Now if I want to hear another voice, I just sit outside the RV and set out a couple of extra chairs. Before long, somebody stops by. Even though we're strangers, we have something in common and we talk about our rigs, where we've been and where we're going next. No awkward pauses in the conversation. Instant friends, or at least friendly folks. I eat what I want, when I want, if I want.
And I don't know what it costs and I don't care. I can't imagine a better deal.
I don't know what it costs and don't care. I can't imagine a better deal. Jim could not have said it better.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Jim..looking forward to crossing paths someday!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:
It is expensive, but so are other hobbies. Actually, as I get involved in something, I'm always blown away by how much you can spend on it. My "main" hobby is bicycling -- road and mountain -- and I wont even tell people how much my bikes cost! My wife is getting more in to sewing, and you can drop a travel trailer's worth of money on a sewing machine these days. Ever been into a top end cooking or fly fishing shop?

But these are some of the things that make life worth it, so ...

My wife is into sewing and although some of her machines are 1-2,000, I think she would get out of it if she had to pay 20-30,000 for a machine.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a single, retired RVer. I spent most of my working life traveling for the company and staying in hotels. Nice ones, but still a hotel. Eating my meals in the hotel restaurant and watching TV while sitting on the bed. I forgot how to talk.
I retired early, bought a Class 'B' which turned out to be too small and required unhooking to visit what I came to see. Bought a 40' 'C' and a Jeep toad. Now if I want to hear another voice, I just sit outside the RV and set out a couple of extra chairs. Before long, somebody stops by. Even though we're strangers, we have something in common and we talk about our rigs, where we've been and where we're going next. No awkward pauses in the conversation. Instant friends, or at least friendly folks. I eat what I want, when I want, if I want.
And I don't know what it costs and I don't care. I can't imagine a better deal.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing is a life choice, not a hobby. Craft Beer is my hobby....we don't want to address the numbers on that.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
BillB800si wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Maybe in Michigan.

It is different here in Florida, for example: Cheap hotel in Key West $250.00 per night without any add on, like taxes, resort fees, etc. Camping in a state park?=$36.00 per night+ tax.
No other additions.Other areas of the state have the same type of differential,just less dollars per day.

------------------------

From Hotels.com a cheap hotel in Key West right now $49 a night. Check it out.

Key West hotels from $66/night - KAYAK
bumpy

IN Key West, not stock island?
Downtown or north end? I have been to KW many times would not want a $66. Night room!
Unless you have been there and know the hotels, those prices are a******shoot.

Thnaks that is exactly what I was trying to say. Those that say other wise, don't know the real conditions there.

You will see those low prices posted lots of times. Call to make a reservation and you will find that the price quoted was a "special" and and we are sorry but, those rooms are already booked, or some other excuse to "up sell" you.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger question here is what is the cost of not pursuing your hobby. We spend much of our play money on our RV and the travel that goes with it. But I do not look back and feel cheated by the expense nor do I spend so much that it puts us into a bind. We have an older RV and spend the required time and money to keep it up. If I had more disposable income I might have a newer more expensive RV. The beauty of this hobby is that I can make due with many different style rigs or tents. The hobby can be suitable for many different income levels.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I'm retired but my wife is younger and still works. Her schedule changes every week. We are campers and always being packed and ready to go on a moments notice is well worth the cost. Getting to a campsite after dark and not having to set up a tent in the rain and sleep on the ground is worth it to us. Besides, there's no hotels where we like to go.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Cost of our hobby? Never calculated it because my goal is to see and experience as much as possible before going 9-ft below ground and our hobby helps make it possible.

The cost of our home ownership - a waste of money in my opinion! It's an expensive, never ending chore!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
There's so many factors. I guess $1 - 1.25/mile or $2 - 3000/year is close. This is the only thing we get to do for leisure besides eating out so it doesn't matter. I would have a good P/U no matter what and we buy used RVs so it's really not very expensive. I have a friend who flies RC planes and I'd love to have all the moneys he's crashed into the ground. I also have friends who race cars. Our hobby is a fraction the cost of a lot of people's hobbies. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Golf is my hobby and it costs a lot less than the MH. We travel because we can afford to but we're limited in the amount of time each year and it has to be the warm months because of other commitments.

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
The life style is not so bad it's the dues and entrance fees that hurt. I wouldn't change a thing well maybe??? Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to Key West to bask at a hotel/motel. as long as the roaches don't carry me out, I am not that picky. I generally stay in Motel 6s when I am on the road and paying for it myself. many have been updated/graded. some have been bad.
bumpy

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
BillB800si wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

Maybe in Michigan.

It is different here in Florida, for example: Cheap hotel in Key West $250.00 per night without any add on, like taxes, resort fees, etc. Camping in a state park?=$36.00 per night+ tax.
No other additions.Other areas of the state have the same type of differential,just less dollars per day.

------------------------

From Hotels.com a cheap hotel in Key West right now $49 a night. Check it out.

Key West hotels from $66/night - KAYAK
bumpy

IN Key West, not stock island?
Downtown or north end? I have been to KW many times would not want a $66. Night room!
Unless you have been there and know the hotels, those prices are a******shoot.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"