Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Couple wrecks trailer 20 minutes after buying it

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link

Curious what the forum's opinion is on who should be liable. Seems to me like the dealer has some responsibility.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,
61 REPLIES 61

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have said it for years. To a salesman the only thing that is a problem is a blank signature line on the contract. If you ask "Can my vehicle tow this" the answer is NO PROBLEM.

A jeep Cherokee is not big enough to tow that trailer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of the responses here are more ridiculous than the wreck.
And for the csi rvnetters in training, no, that is nowhere near a new camper, Poulsbo RV is not in Poulsbo WA and that floor repair is backwoods.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Fake news. There was no wreck

That's funny!
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm, if it were me after seeing all those boards underneath I would be having that end loader pick up and 'save' each and every piece of that TT and weigh it.

The tow vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee. A small SUV.

The Jeep may have been within weight limits based on the 'specs tag' of that TT but could have been over the weight limit with all those boards underneath.

IMHO bottom line it was probably the same o same o case of the salesman telling these people..."Sure your tow vehicle can tow this trailer safely".

Added weight from boards, too small of a tow vehicle, and operator error. This set up didn't have a chance ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their vehicle insurance will only cover liability on trailer not collision !

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1) The weight due to 2x4 floor is likely irrelevant. If it was a newly purchased unit, it was most likely empty and a few boards are unlikely to put it overweight. If anything, that's a lot of weight down low which would help with stability.
2) Unless they have clear evidence that the dealer was responsible for setting up the tow combination, dealers generally don't take responsibility for that.

This sounds like a typical newbie mistake. It started swaying and she likely reacted poorly making it worse.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Fake news. There was no wreck
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We don't have enough information.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a guess, but she probably had little to no experience towing. Once serious sway sets in, it can be very hard to bring it under control, especially if full water in the back. The Grand Cherokee's short wheelbase doesn't help. Glad she walked away from it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the bright side, it appears that trailer was a piece of garbage with poor repairs. Insurance will cover it, assuming the tow vehicle had insurance.

Dealerships have ZERO liability to assume that the driver or tow vehicle are competent for the task at hand. The Dept of Motor Vehicle's hands out a license if you pass a test and a short driving track and doesn't do any follow up to make sure you can drive. My FIL drove trucks for a living. I am sure he could safely drive a Ford Ranger pulling a 5th wheel from Maryland to Florida. My MIL gets lost in her driveway. I don't think she could safely pull a popup with a class 8 OTR truck. The dealer has no way to appropriately assess the ability of the driver or vehicle, therefore no liability.

Carry on...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
They were not charged. No speeding ticket, no way to tell how fast they were going, No way to tell how much it weighed, No information as to what caused the sway.

Be thankful you weren't hurt, and try again.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The driver specifically stated that trailer sway occurred that couldn't be corrected. That is driver error. It is incorrect setup for towing and/or excessive speed. Floor repairs, whether or not they are properly done with proper materials, would not have been the cause of trailer sway.

article wrote:
the travel trailer began to sway behind their Jeep Cherokee, according to Trooper Chelsea Hodgson. The driver told troopers she was unable to regain control and the trailer flipped over in the left land and landed on its top.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
To me, the dealer would be the last one on the blame list. The driver comes first, then if anyone else at all, I'd blame the state for allowing any idiot with a valid drivers license, a few bucks and decent credit to drive/tow whatever they want to. That's all you need to hook onto 10,000 pounds of trailer with your 1992 Jeep Cherokee and take off down the interstate. It's stupid! If I want to ride a motorcycle on the road, I have to have an endorsement, but my regular standard license lets me drive/tow the biggest RV on the lot. Even at 16 years old. Testing should be required.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Why did the op and others assume there was a dealer involved? The article said nothing about where they bought it.

The article references Poulsbo which is a big RV dealer in the Pacific Northwest.

All the article says is that they bought it in Poulsbo, the city. They didnโ€™t mention Poulsbo RV at all.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold as is with no warranty?

Sticker weight does not include any equipment added by a dealer or anyone else. Being just purchased it was likely under the gross weight. Who is responsible for determining the actual weight at time of sale - dealer or private sale or new owner or no one?

Unfortunately many buy a rig based on their car purchase experience which has little in common with a RV purchase.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob