cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Craig's List Scam Buyer beware!

kapitch
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share information about a scam being run on Craig's List. I responded to an ad for a motorhome with very low mileage and low price. I received a response asking me to email the seller's wife, he provided an email address, which I did. She responded with very detailed information including VIN and pictures and a sad story that her husband had been transferred to Canada and she needed to sell the motorhome quickly as she was moving in a week. I expressed further interest, then received another email indicating she had turned the motorhome over to Ebay and they would deliver it to me free of charge and I had 5 days to change my mind. hmmm??? She asked for my name, address and phone number, and said Ebay would contact me to make the delivery arrangements. Being suspicious, I called Ebay and asked them about the situation and was told it's a scam being conducted with vehicles listed on Craig's List. I'm waiting for the email from "Ebay" asking to complete the deal. We will see if it goes according to the Ebay Agent I spoke to.

Once again...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Glad we discovered the scam before it was too late.

Kathy
27 REPLIES 27

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
BuckyBadger wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:

If they send you some pictures, go get really fancy. Hit up images.google.com and upload the picture. See where else Google has spotted it on the Internet.

-Eric

How do you upload a picture there?

Just drag the picture into the google search box.

Very cool, Thanks

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
How does one get transferred to Canada? :H

If you're old enough to remember the pneumatic tubes large department stores used to ship paperwork between offices, loan dept., etc.
Same principle.

Q. So how does one get transferred to Canada?

A. Easy - via one of the completed (empty) sections of the oil pipeline.

Get in the pipeline capsule - Phoooot - and away you go!

BTW - make sure there's no two-way traffic that day, and don't forget your passport!.

.:C

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
BuckyBadger wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:

If they send you some pictures, go get really fancy. Hit up images.google.com and upload the picture. See where else Google has spotted it on the Internet.

-Eric

Just drag the picture into the google search box.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:

-Eric

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I have come across these before. Google can be your friend. Drop in the sellers's email address in to Google and see what you find. I'll bet you find it on Craigslist ads all over the nation.

Look critically at the pictures. Do they show the license plate?? I had a friend almost buy a pickup truck through this scam when I pointed out that of the 20 or so pictures, not a one had the license plate in it.

And finally, are they sending you the VIN, or a picture of the VIN? How about a picture of the SPID sheet (where the production option codes are listed), as it should have the VIN listed too.

Too good to be true equals a scam. Don't waste your time.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How does one get transferred to Canada? :H
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kathy for trying, but fools will continue to buy junk and then cry about it.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

kapitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of this forum for years, but rarely post. I have learned so much from the posts and thank everyone dearly for the valuable information. Despite reading the forum for years, I do not remember warnings of this scam, but probably forgot about it. Only wanted to warn others to beware.

Kathy

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was looking, I ran across some rigs that looked good and it appeared that the seller just left a zero off the price, presumably by mistake. If you respond, ("gee, I'm a real idiot but did you leave a zero off the price?"), then you get the story; deploying next week, will deliver the rig to me, just pay a small charge for my friend to buy gas driving it to you. My buddy will collect the balance, etc.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
read this one,
seems like a Foreign language computer generated this ad

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/rvd/5841227266.html

already taken down.

MrWizard
read this one,
seems like a Foreign language computer generated this ad

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/rvd/5841227266.html
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
creeper wrote:
kapitch wrote:
I wanted to share information about a scam being run on Craig's List. I responded to an ad for a motorhome with very low mileage and low price. I received a response asking me to email the seller's wife, he provided an email address, which I did. She responded with very detailed information including VIN and pictures and a sad story that her husband had been transferred to Canada and she needed to sell the motorhome quickly as she was moving in a week. I expressed further interest, then received another email indicating she had turned the motorhome over to Ebay and they would deliver it to me free of charge and I had 5 days to change my mind. hmmm??? She asked for my name, address and phone number, and said Ebay would contact me to make the delivery arrangements. Being suspicious, I called Ebay and asked them about the situation and was told it's a scam being conducted with vehicles listed on Craig's List. I'm waiting for the email from "Ebay" asking to complete the deal. We will see if it goes according to the Ebay Agent I spoke to.

Once again...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Glad we discovered the scam before it was too late.

Kathy

One and only post. Hmmmm.....

Everyone has to start somewhere

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
Another one is they start out nice with asking questions about your vehicle. Then another email comes they want to come and see the vehicle, test drive it and if they like it, buy it, however their loan officer wants an updated history report on your vehicle and it has to be through this link in the email. Mainly they want your VIN number and then you pay $10 to $30 for this report. You put your credit card information in and they get a commission doing this. I have read they can steal your credit card information this way too.

I asked for the loan officer's name, phone number, bank number and city. I'd give the loan officer the VIN number. No reply back.

Got to be careful out there.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
creeper wrote:
kapitch wrote:

Kathy

One and only post. Hmmmm.....

Yup, one post. Don't fall for it, it's a scam. :B