cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards at the pump

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from NYC and stopped at a Sunoco on the Penn. Turn Pike. I paid with credit card at the pump and pumped $125. On the second time, because we all buy more than $125, the pump told me to see the cashier. She said I need to buy a specific dollar amount. I told her $100 and she tried to enter that amount and it was rejected. She then told me she didn't know what to do so I just left. I then stopped in Ohio to fill up again and the card wouldn't work at all. The cashier said it looks like it's flagged as stolen. My wife called the CC co. and they said that once the maximum is hit the second time you try the card will shut it down as if it's stolen. To avoid this the company said take the card in to the cashier and tell them to hold on to the card while you fill it up. It was a US Bank Visa (and a PITA). Other than this the trip was great. We stayed at Liberty Harbor.
53 REPLIES 53

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I find some pumps cut you off at $100. Then the next place you stop lets you put in any amount till you stop the pump. I try to fill up and it if cuts off before I'm done I don't let it bother me but just try to fill up at the next stop. What really angers me is the gas in all the states we travelled through on our last trip were cheaper than my own. I got back to Kentucky today and the first place I refueled was a total rip off. My home town city council is actually installing gasoline pumps to sell to the public at reduced prices because the local stations are all working together to gouge us.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I got a call from PNC while I was filling up that asked if my card was lost. She said they just had a $200. charge for gas. I said I was only up to $50. and would need another $100 to get filled up. After she asked what I was driving I was clear for the rest of the trip for large gas purchases. I have dumped PNC for other reasons since then.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought the pump shuts off cuz of a CC limit so I thought I was smart and tried my DC and it still shut off at $100. It's not just a CC thing, I guess. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using cash for our travels for years. I do not mind going in twice. Very seldom pump more than $100.00 worth into my pick up with a 34 gal tank. We all are different in how we do things and the risk we are willing to take. I have no worries on carrying the amount of cash we do. Easy to get more while on the road. JME.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think part of the issue is your method of travel. If you were to fly to a location and rent a car and get a hotel, you have established a pattern to that card.

Driving not so much, depending on you mileage and size of fuel tank you may be 300 miles to as much as 600 miles from home the first time you use the card. When traveling by car you don't establish a pattern. Then it is best to call you card providers so they are aware.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
MTPockets1 wrote:
Most stations allow $100 per card, (occasionally more or less) but only once on that day. I usually pump $100, hang up the nozzle, start over with a second credit card and go for the second $100, then the same if I need another round.. I often pump about 60 gallons deisel, so the third card is convenient.

I was told the reason they have a limit is they initiate a transaction for the full $100, then refund the difference when you're done pumping. This keeps the station from filling your truck and then finding out your card is denied. Unlike a product at a store, they can't take it back from your tank. Some stations have lower limits than others because believe it or not some people have cards with only $100 credit available and they don't want to deny them.

You should be able to pick a different pre-charge amount to save the headache, though.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ahh, the plot thickens.

And how would being able to carry $500 or $1000 bills mean you carry less money? Fewer bills maybe, but those nasty old plotters will come up with heavier bills then and we'll all suffer from back problems. That's probably the plan all along and the medical industry is in on it!!
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
OMG
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II

danicaB
Explorer
Explorer
It isn’t always easy to get a credit card. You may run your own business and therefore don’t have a stable income. Or you have been declined several times when applying for a credit card due to a lack of credit history. Banks in general are not too keen on having people with no credit history apply, and for those with a bad credit history, it’s particularly difficult. Poor credit can restrict your financial options. Thankfully, with secured charge cards, there are some choices.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
Sounds like the credit card company is trying to do their part to protect you from fraud. Good for them.

That is actually a misconception. The CC company is protecting themselves from a fraud charge because the card holder is not responsible for fraud charges.

I travel domestically and internationally for work and have had to deal with locked cards a handful of times. As mentioned a number of times in this thread...best to just call the company ahead of time and inform them of your travel instead of potentially being put an embarrassing situation.

Or they could not offer that service. Are you more comfortable assuming all risks of fraud on your card?

Not the point and pretty much a completely invalid statement on your part. CC companies want everyone to think they are doing you the favor when that is not the case...they are protecting their own interests, i.e. that service will not never stop.
I love me some land yachting

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How many people are going to use a card if they know they will get stuck with paying for fraudulent charges? I know I would stop using them in a heartbeat. If that were true credit card usage would fall precipitously.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
Sounds like the credit card company is trying to do their part to protect you from fraud. Good for them.

That is actually a misconception. The CC company is protecting themselves from a fraud charge because the card holder is not responsible for fraud charges.

I travel domestically and internationally for work and have had to deal with locked cards a handful of times. As mentioned a number of times in this thread...best to just call the company ahead of time and inform them of your travel instead of potentially being put an embarrassing situation.

Or they could not offer that service. Are you more comfortable assuming all risks of fraud on your card?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:

I love me some land yachting