cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between RVing and Camping???

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading responses to another post and one person stated that, "We RV we don't camp?" I didn't want to take the post off topic, so I did a quick search, but did not find it. What is the difference between RVing and Camping. I am not posting this to get an argument going. We have always camped but maybe we are RVing and don't even know it. Before you respond that it does not matter, I know that, but am just really curious.
97 REPLIES 97

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmm .... I probably couldn't get our short-but-big-around Class C through either that desert tunnel or that British Columbia tunnel! What is the word for "plowing" when it isn't snow that you're talking about?

By the way, that desert tunnel I think had something to do with the remote Cosmic Ashtray area in Utah.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Now .... the problem becomes how to get that big fancy bed back into spots like where this rig is going - that WOULD REALLY be camping:

P.S. I can't get my smaller less fancy bed back into where that TC is going, either .... but wish I could.

In the desert, everything is armed and dangerous. Up in northern BC, the bush is so warm and fuzzy, you can drive anywhere and not worry about your paint job...HaHaHa.

Skeena River. Northern British Columbia.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
I would love to take truck and trailer where he is going also.
I just couldn't afford the annual paint job.

I have to give credit where credit is due.

That photo I posted of a TC going to, or coming from, out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere is "I think" Mello Mike's truck camper. In another photo he posted along with that one, it show's him on top of the camper with pruners removing limbs to keep the scratching to a minimum!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well yeah ... vertical camping at it's best but, I've seen those types hanging from underneath an overhead overhang with their gear.

What do you call that way-past-vertical stuff? Batcamping I guess.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how extreme you are in camping, there is always someone who tells you that you're not really camping. My TT is camping enough for me.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would love to take truck and trailer where he is going also.
I just couldn't afford the annual paint job.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now .... the problem becomes how to get that big fancy bed back into spots like where this rig is going - that WOULD REALLY be camping:

P.S. I can't get my smaller less fancy bed back into where that TC is going, either .... but wish I could.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I concede. It's acceptable to call it camping regardless of how you do it.
But, I gotta tell you (because I did it), graduating from sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag,....all the way to sleeping in king-size bed(inside the comfort of your camper) makes you realize the broad spectrum of the subject definition:

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We always refer to our rig as our 'camper'.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never in my life have I uttered the phrase; "I'm going RVing"
I look at a map.
I decide wear I want to go, it may be a general region,it may be an historical attraction, it may be a natural attraction.
Day one I may take a hike, swim, fish, sit around a camp fire. Day two I go into town, maybe a museum or a festival.
I guess I am just a multi-tasking fool.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Camping to me means I am likely to get into my sleeping bag and find dirt in it. Rv'ing means sweet cold air and a dirt free bed.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
When push comes to shove, the simplest explanation is this:

"Camping" is by definition temporarily stopping/staying in some place other than one's home base- doesn't really matter what kind of shelter is involved. From tent to Prevost: if it's a temporary thing it's a camp.

Perfect!!! I was the OP and after reading some of these, I thought camping was our weekend trips, and RVing is our "traveling" trips. But I have once again changed my mind. I agree with this, we just camp!

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is when I call some friends to see if they want to go camping next weekend they full understand what I'm talking about. Can't say I've ever said, hey you want to go RV'ing next weekend. I pull a camper ( fifth wheel ) RV= recreational vehicle, camping is what I do with my RV. Hey as long as were all getting out they and enjoying our whatever we want to call it or what we are doing..... That's all that matters!!
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
... and this is probably real camping, too (only requiring eight wheels not counting the spares):

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
When push comes to shove, the simplest explanation is this:

"Camping" is by definition temporarily stopping/staying in some place other than one's home base- doesn't really matter what kind of shelter is involved. From tent to Prevost: if it's a temporary thing it's a camp.

Francesca - in one concise all-inclusive single sentence I think you nicely nailed it. Well stated!!

... It covers what the early pioneers were doing in their wagon trains, it covers mountaineering base camps, it covers backpacking camps, it covers canoeing camps, it covers hunting camps, it covers oil and gas field worker camps, and it covers wherever any kind of RV is parked other than storage.

(Ooooops ... what do call what a boater is doing whenever they're living on their boat, temporarily here and there, while still keeping a land home?)

OK, call it whatever you want. Ssoooo, THIS is my fish camp (on wheels). About 10 years ago I wrote a check for $170,000 in order to pay for it. According to your opinion, this is my way of going camping.
Personally, I prefer to use a different description.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat