cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing Systems - Which One?

UMAlum
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to dinghy towing and after reading various posts I am questioning my original choice of going with a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar package, brackets, guardian tow shield and invisibrake and accessory kit. Estimate for this package installed at a local Camping World is just under $4k.

Given this is a line that Camping World sells I assume it should be reliable. What I don't know is a reasonable price and what other options are out there.

I am looking for a quality system that is easy to use (especially for someone new to dinghy towing).

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Stealth1
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, the Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar and plates are an excellent choice! I can't comment on the braking system, I don't use that one and I personally prefer the "Tow Shield" to protect our car. The Tow Shield blankets the front of the car from above the windshield to below the air dam and fender wheel well to fender wheel well!
Ken & Anita
Newmar Essex, 45', 4 Slide, Cummins 500 ISM, Custom Graphics
2013 Honda CRV
Good Sam, FMCA, Hoots Nation

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
This is from the 2013 Ford, F-53 motorhome chassis owners manual:

"Trailer Brakes: Electric brakes and manual, automatic or surge-type brakes are safe if installed properly and adjusted to the manufacturerโ€™s specifications. The trailer brakes must meet local and Federal regulations."

I just searched the 2013 Tiffin Open Road Owners Manual and it said:

"Any vehicles to be towed by the motor home should have adequate active braking."

So, I learned some new things today:

I don't know what an "active" brake system is and Winnebago is not confident enough in their hitch work to give the go-ahead to surge brakes. Or, surge brakes have a bad rap from years past and Winnebago isn't taking any chances.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
There are several online retailers that sell Roadmaster equipment for far less than Camping World.
etrailer: http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tow_Bars.aspx?Redirect=1

They have both Roadmaster and Blue Ox equipment

Before you get too enamored with the ReadyBrake system read your owners manual carefully. Some manufacturers caution against the use of surge brake systems. Here's a quote from the 2013 Winnebago Adventurer manual:

"We do not recommend the usage of a โ€œsurgestyleโ€
braking device. The usage of a surge brake
(especially when coupled with a hitch ball
located outside our recommended limits) places
excessive stress on the hitch. This abuse of the
ball mount and the hitch may cause premature
hitch assembly failure."
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a dealer install the blue ox base plate on my 05 VUE.
I watched, parts laid out all over the floor. wouldn't tackle that job myself to save a couple of hundred $$$.
bumpy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 on the ReadyBrake system.

You just can't beat it, IMHO - Complete, very stout (8,000 lb rated) towbar with integrated, included braking system, all for the price of what you'd pay for just a tow bar alone of other brands (and you'd STILL then have to spend another $1k or so on a brake system). Very simple, effective cable operated braking system that uses no electronics, nothing to run down battery or fail and damage toad brakes like electronic systems are known to do. Nothing to have to put in or take out of the car every time you hitch up or unhitch.

If you're buying everything at once (tow bar, braking system, etc.), then it really is a no-brainer decision IMO, both in terms of $$ and in terms of performance/quality - Go with Readybrake's ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, with included Readybrake braking system.

The Camping World dealer you are working with probably does not sell this (Readybrake) system. You have to order it either from Night Shift Auto (company that makes it) or a few other retailers (like hitchsource.com). Night Shift Auto does not spend millions on advertising, marketing like the others do, so they're not as well known. However, as I alluded to above, they provide an excellent product with several advantages, at a much lower price than anything else. I guess thats what a company can do when they don't spend millions of $$ on advertising and marketing like the others do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Get you a Readybrake, you'll be very glad you did. I have it on two different toads now, and it works great on both. It is truly the only system I'll own.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rickcarlene
Explorer
Explorer
I used roadmaster base plt.my son and i installed took apros 1.5 hrs.they send very detailed directions.Check craigs list for tow bars many for sale that have had little use.
my set up base plt $499.00 roadmaster
tow bar $100.00 roadmaster stowmaster(craigs list)
mag lights $70.00 from roadmaster
ready to go no brakes tow a mini

good luck
Rick

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
I HIGHLY recommend a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with built in surge brake. I have the Blue Ox baseplate, but the ReadyBrute can be ordered outfitted for Blue Ox, Demco or Roadmaster.

X2 We've been very pleased with the performance of our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system paired with a Blue Ox base plate. We've towed two different toads a bit over 40,000 miles with that setup so far, with zero problems, and no hookup or disconnecting issues regardless of the terrain or angle.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do the install yourself....it's not that difficult. Roadmaster provides excellent installation instructions. A few common tools and a spare day will do the trick. A good friend helping will make it go even faster and easier.

Doing it yourself you can cut the price in half! I have almost exactly the same set up as yours except I have the US Gear Unified brake system (very similar to the Invibrake) and have put the same system (except for different base plates) on three different toads. The most difficult part was the base plate on my Terrain...but still doable by an amateur.

Ron

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I HIGHLY recommend a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with built in surge brake. I have the Blue Ox baseplate, but the ReadyBrute can be ordered outfitted for Blue Ox, Demco or Roadmaster.

I did not know that. That's real good news for me.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a tow bar that stays on the back of the motorhome and has levers to release it.
I used a Blue Ox Aventa II.
bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I only know about the Blue OX which is what I bought, albiet a good company and great product BUT if I had do overs I would 'definitely' buy a tow bar that has the brake in it. Others will chime in on the difference between types of tow bars with the brake in it.

Welcome to the world of towing a 'Toad', you are going to love all the perks that go with it! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.