cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disabled Rates at Campgrounds

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading the good thread re Disabled Parking Permits & thought i'd ask a similar question.
In a Government owned Campground (not private), should sites be offered at a discount for disabled people? Maybe 50%?
I say this because i can't walk very far at all, so i usually stay in the campsite the whole time (i have Bone Marrow cancer c/w a lot of broken bones). Other, healthy people get to enjoy the whole Park & whatever it has to offer. I do enjoy the time spent away from home & the outdoors also, & feel that camping is great for my well-being!
I would assume there would be people who would try & abuse this, but lets try & ignore that for now. Or, is there something in place for your Province/State already & how do they deal with it?
What do you think? Thanks, Gary
56 REPLIES 56

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
filthy beast wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
There are plenty of fully able-bodied folks that never leave their camper and/or site once they hookup. Should they also get a discount?

In the US at least, if some one is disabled, there is a good chance they are receiving disability benefits, so the government is already paying for them to camp where ever they are camping.

-Michael

And that disability pay that I receive is, at least in part, funded by the money I paid into the system while I was able to work!

Not quite. Our tax system is not a pay ahead , or pay back. It is a pay now set up for those qualified. School tax is a prime example, whether you have children, how many or not, you are taxed at the same rate. Because at some time in the future, those children will be paying the taxes that give you. the benefit, thus they are the nations children. Or would you prefer the old Chinese custom of having many so that there is a son to care for you in your old age?
On disabled discounts, may I add that whether you use the facilities or not, many camps have ADA equipment at pools, washrooms to serve the handicapped under Dept. of Justice requirement. Sure, you do not use the playground. The kids do not use the ADA compliant showers & equipment. The playground is much cheaper to build.
How in a camp that serves all comers with equal costs for each group could a discount be given?
At which % of disability should a discount apply? For what reason?
Dang right, We should all do right by a soldier disabled on duty. Not so much for someone handicapped for other reasons.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I think the disabled should receive a 50% camping discount. Camping is an expensive luxury for some.. Many families with disabled children could not afford a week end of camping. Taking care of an autistic, Downs Syndrome, or mentally impaired child is not easy nor cheap. Will people abuse it yes, just like handicap parking, service dogs, and on and on. I tend to have disdain for those that abuse and hope they get caught fined and banned from the park system. However I have no complaints on subsidizing a family, vet, or disabled person on a fixed or limited incomes to enjoy our National and State Parks, more power to them. Those that abuse and scam the system should be beheaded....it is that simple.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Campgrounds often have ADA campsites available. Anything else can be through the government entity providing the assistance.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Senior Citizen. Fixed income. I don't use those facilities either. I am a military vet. I have trouble walking very far. I don't expect a discount. Nor do I expect anyone to accommodate me or my family. What I expect is to pay a fair price. Same as everyone else.

I pay my taxes. Even though my kids have completed their education, I understand my taxes go toward educating other kids. And 'special' kids get more resources than others. That's the way it works. You can whine about it or just shut up and do your duty as a citizen. If you whine, then you get what you deserve.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I am a disabled US Army veteran, I'll pay my own way thank you.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the government should pay ALL my bills ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
I don't want no stinkin' discount, I want FREE !!!!!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a problem paying more than the disabled and elderly.

The argument that because some disabled don't use all the facilities they should pay less is faulty from a logic POV so I'll breeze on by that point and give the author time to reflect.

I pay more to camp in some other states because I'm not a resident and don't pay to maintain their infrastructure through local taxes; makes sense to me so no reason to squawk about it.

Personally, I think its a true mark of civilization, for the younger to subsidize those on fixed incomes.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
In Ontario...if you have an Ontario disabled parking permit you get 50% off any provincial park rate. You also do not need any fishing license.

I was put on total 100% disability. My income is equivalent to what I made 25 years ago, tax free with a small cost of living increase. I had an accident at work. I am very happy to have some income.

I am in 2 thoughts about this discount and lack of need for fishing license. I camp and fish. I enjoy myself as much as a non disabled person. I really wondered the thought behind this decision. I felt so guilty for years that I did not ask for the discount and I bought my fishing license. Now being off for 25 years I do ask for the discount.
Then I thought, some people may be in a situation where they receive only the government disability pension. That is not very much. So I think that the discount is given so that people on disability are encouraged to have a life and know they can. So many with a disability become depressed and house bound.
Now when someone suggested that the government was paying twice and out of tax payers money. That is wrong. To be able to collect Canada Pension Plan Disability, you had to have paid into the pension plan when you worked. It is a division of the Old age pension plan.
There are other pensions people with disabilities can apply for. It is still not a lot. I don't think it is a bad program to assist in fees. There are other things that the government waste money on that irritate me.

This is another one of those situations where not everyone will be happy. Myself...I am still not sure of my thoughts.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
There are plenty of fully able-bodied folks that never leave their camper and/or site once they hookup. Should they also get a discount?

In the US at least, if some one is disabled, there is a good chance they are receiving disability benefits, so the government is already paying for them to camp where ever they are camping.

-Michael

And that disability pay that I receive is, at least in part, funded by the money I paid into the system while I was able to work!
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GaryKH wrote:

In a Government owned Campground (not private), should sites be offered at a discount for disabled people? Maybe 50%?

No; especially not as a "system-wide rule".

Don't forget that for every person that gets a discount, somebody else's costs go up.

I wish that same logic was applied to everything else. I pay about $15k a year to various school boards. I have no children.

My neighbours children however get 'world class' educations for 'free'.

I think the term is, in the truest sense of the words, "universal sufferage".

Everybody suffers so a few get a benefit.

:h

Sorta hard to see a parallel between maintaining civic responsibilities like educating the nation's children and subsidizing a recreational activity like paid camping-?

Well I disagree with you and totally agree with Francesca. And nation's children you say? No, just somebody else's children. Their parents should pay for their own children's education. That's part of responsible parenting.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
In Illinois, disabled veterans who have Illinois drivers licenses or ID cards and IDVA disabled cards get FREE camping, how ever they still have to pay for electric hook-up.

And that is the way it should be at all public, especially federal campgrounds. Disabled veterans (and only disabled veterans) should have free access and camping. They earned their free pass.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I am disabled, therefore CANNOT use the amenities, therefore the cost of my stay is less then someone that does.

I will take my discount, thank you.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
In Illinois, disabled veterans who have Illinois drivers licenses or ID cards and IDVA disabled cards get FREE camping, how ever they still have to pay for electric hook-up.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon State Parks...there are sites set aside for disabled persons. They are not available to the general public and tend to be more spacious, in prime locations in the campground and have large concrete pads.
(Not sure if they are discounted also).
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

TX77705
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
GaryKH wrote:

No; especially not as a "system-wide rule".

Don't forget that for every person that gets a discount, somebody else's costs go up.

I wish that same logic was applied to everything else. I pay about $15k a year to various school boards. I have no children.

My neighbours children however get 'world class' educations for 'free'.

I think the term is, in the truest sense of the words, "universal sufferage".

Everybody suffers so a few get a benefit.

:h

Sorta hard to see a parallel between maintaining civic responsibilities like educating the nation's children and subsidizing a recreational activity like paid camping-?

Exactly. Excellent point.

Also your other point about for everyone who gets a discount means that someone else is gonna be picking up the tab is 100% correct. Nothing is free or discounted. The costs are gonna be picked up or spread elsewhere to other people.