cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do RV tires deteriorate when sitting on dealer lots.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a four year old used 5th wheel and had a blowout on my first run. Suspecting that it might be lot rot in the tires, I changed the whole set even though the treads looked new on them. The entire tread on the blowout tire separated from the sidewall and took out the trailer fender. It's my belief that when an RV is sitting in a lot for a year or more in one spot, all that weight on one small portion of the tires undermines the inner core. Watchatink?
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
UV and heat are the 2 biggest killers of tires.
Not specific to RV or trailer tires, rather a propensity for those to get abused more (curbs, corner scrubbing, parked out in the sun months on end, etc), yet appear to be "like new" due to low miles and plenty of tread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have fought the short trailer tire life for many years. The fact is they do start to deteriorate as soon as they come out of the mold. How they are stored from that point on effects that short life. Heat is the worst enemy for a tire so living in the Arizona desert the last 16 years was killing my tires when leaving them outside even if they were covered. I averaged 18 months on a new set of ST tires before one of the four separated or started showing signs of separating. Five years ago I started removing the wheels & tires when not in use and stored them in the garage. I haven't had a tire issue since. Sure it's a bit of work but it has saved me way more time and money in the long run. I just replaced this 5 year old tires just because I was leery of running them any longer even though they looked new.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Another entertaining thread!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The short answer is YES. in fact sitting without rolling rollign rolling down the highway for years on end is the WORST thing for a tire.. They need to roll. Even sitting on a tire rack (not mounted) they go bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
avan wrote:
I've never thought before that there might be something different, better or worse, in a dealer lot vs a street, any other parking lot etc. What would the differences be?
Nothing. Sitting is sitting.

Does your rig sit at home years at a time, in the direct sun with tires uncovered, without turning a wheel? An RV that has been on a dealer lot for 4 years has at most been moved 100 ft from one side of the lot to the other. Maybe. Once a year. Air pressure has probably never been checked either. So it sat there badly underinflated.
Tires last longer when they are used occasionally and kept at full inflation.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cheap Chinese ST tires do that all the time. New,,old makes little difference. Tire quality is what its all about.

Exactly right.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This from probably our oldest ST tire maker;

Carlisle special trailer tires
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
โ€“ 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
โ€“ It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone.
โ€“ After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.

โ€“ After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
As darsben1 said, check the DOT date code. That will tell you the real age of the tires.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
> Do RV tires deteriorate when sitting on dealer lots. UH Yeah. 4 year RV old tires are just looking for a place to go flat. Don't matter if they are sitting in your yard, or dealer lot. Don't matter if they are covered or not. They rot while sitting, as they don't oil themselves unless they roll.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pressure check,clean,cover, rotate.use a UV spray. any thing that helps.have a nice day.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What exactly is this 'little maintenance' you speak off?
Pressure and covering come to mind.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Lot rot is a fact of life.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
tires start to rot they day the come out of the mold, tire care is very important, you should get years of use with just a little maint.

What exactly is this 'little maintenance' you speak off?

Would love to hear the 'secrets'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tires start to rot they day the come out of the mold, tire care is very important, you should get years of use with just a little maint.