cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do RV tires deteriorate when sitting on dealer lots.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a four year old used 5th wheel and had a blowout on my first run. Suspecting that it might be lot rot in the tires, I changed the whole set even though the treads looked new on them. The entire tread on the blowout tire separated from the sidewall and took out the trailer fender. It's my belief that when an RV is sitting in a lot for a year or more in one spot, all that weight on one small portion of the tires undermines the inner core. Watchatink?
24 REPLIES 24

avan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
avan wrote:
I've never thought before that there might be something different, better or worse, in a dealer lot vs a street, any other parking lot etc. What would the differences be?
Nothing. Sitting is sitting.
Oh, okay. I was thinking that perhaps dealers had a less consumer friendly brand of ozone permeating their lots :B
www.putt10.net

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
avan wrote:
I've never thought before that there might be something different, better or worse, in a dealer lot vs a street, any other parking lot etc. What would the differences be?
Nothing. Sitting is sitting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

avan
Explorer
Explorer
www.putt10.net

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.michelinrvtires.com and read what they have to say about tires not being used.
I include the spares when rotating times on my RV for that reason.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV Tires dont know where they have been or where they are left sitting

RV tires good for 5-7 yrs regardless of mileage
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they were 4 years old (per date code) they're getting to the point where they should automatically be replaced no matter how good they look or few miles they may have. Five years is often mentioned as the max. age of ST tires. ST tires will suffer irreversible and cumulative internal damage from towing over 65 mph, towing under-inflated and/or having too little reserve load capacity or being overloaded (sometimes due to being heavier on one side from slides).

Regardless of sitting for a long period on a lot and besides the age factor, you probably have no idea how the PO treated the tires. I would most definitely have replaced them from the start. The last thing anyone wants is a "blowout" and the expensive damage it causes as you have unfortunately found out. Assuming they're ST tires, Maxxis is highly recommended by many. Some will say forget STs and upgrade to LT tires which are more durable and not have to worry about the limitations of ST tires.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Just cause the rig is 4 years old does not mean the tires were only 4 years old. What is the DOT code on the tires?
The tires could be a year or two older than the rig.
The tires deteriorate anytime they are exposed to the sun unused for long periods of tie
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rubber tires start to deteriorate as soon as they come out of the press/mold. How they are stored, cleaned, and otherwise maintained effects how long it takes to become a failure. Just sitting on the ground for four years is a bad thing to do.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cheap Chinese ST tires do that all the time. New,,old makes little difference. Tire quality is what its all about.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road Phantom wrote:
It's my belief that when an RV is sitting in a lot for a year or more in one spot, all that weight on one small portion of the tires undermines the inner core. Watchatink?
Perhaps. Also constant sun exposure.

Simply not driving causes tires to get 'brittle'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman