cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Don't you just love....

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The smell of a new heater in an rv when it's being used for first time? NOT! Have had the rv almost a year and have not used the heater. Last night while camping it got a little chilly. Forgot to take the electric heater with us. So right before bed I turn on the heater to around 68 degrees. Less than an hour later we are woken up to the smoke detector gong off. Woke up and it smells like something burning. I notice a pillow had been laid next to one of the vents and it was hot. Didn't know if it was caused by it or the newness/dust burning off on e heater itself. Turned it all off. Got home today and turned it on and let it run a little. Removed the battery from the smoke detector (and replaced it , it was almost a year old). Turned on the fantastic fans and let it go for a little while. Yep remember the smell from the travel trailer we had. Man that stuff is strong smelling. Won't forget the electric heater next time. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
22 REPLIES 22

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Mine is in hallway (highest point) and I don't like extra unused holes in ceiling.

I just cover up when cooking.....then uncover

Or you can leave it, take out the battery and put a new one in a different location. No holes showing.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is in hallway (highest point) and I don't like extra unused holes in ceiling.

I just cover up when cooking.....then uncover
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just move the smoke detector. Is there a law that says it has to be in the kitchen area. Put it in the hall by the bed room. In my MH I have one in the bed room hall and over the engine area. And while your at it get the better ones that check for smoke and particulate.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Plastic bowl covers with elastic.......Sunbeam

Find them at Big Lots , Dollar Stores etc.

Thanks!! Will definitely give those a try!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our smoke detector quit. I found the exact replacement in Walmart for less than $5. Not much rocket science in a $5 gizmo.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plastic bowl covers with elastic.......Sunbeam

Find them at Big Lots , Dollar Stores etc.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
We opened the oven and it went off last trip. I think there is a heat sensor in there for when a sudden temp change may set it off.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
hmmm....maybe a shower cap with a rubber band to secure it tight would be ok also? if we can't find what Biscuit is talking about.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very first time we used our furnaces, on first trip, the alarm went off. It smelled like we were on fire.
Someone had crammed plastic and paper, into the outside exhaust, of the front furnace, at the Dealer, I suppose. It's been a while so it may have been inside.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
They are not sensitive.

They are the 'same' smoke detectors found in our homes where the ceilings are a lot higher and the rooms bigger.

How they figured that a smoke detector placed in an RV a couple of feet away from the stove and a toaster would not go off all the time still amazes me. When was the last time you saw a kitchen with all the appliances in an area the size of our RV kitchens and a ceiling that low! :B

Lol. Our smoke detector in the kitchen area of our home is about 13' high.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
They are not sensitive.

They are the 'same' smoke detectors found in our homes where the ceilings are a lot higher and the rooms bigger.

How they figured that a smoke detector placed in an RV a couple of feet away from the stove and a toaster would not go off all the time still amazes me. When was the last time you saw a kitchen with all the appliances in an area the size of our RV kitchens and a ceiling that low! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Walking around the campgrounds in the morning it's easy to tell who's cooking breakfast by the smoke alarms

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep...I even ran the furnace for a while after getting the new Minnie, and the detector went off and the fumes were terrible the first time we used it while camping.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
I love the idea of the covers Old-Biscuit, but not real sure what you're talking about. Are they like plastic wrap with that elastic to fit snugly on a bowl? Could you give a link to see what they look like?

I'd be all over that! Because if I don't do something, those things will be going off constantly with how sensitive they are.