cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving non stop

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
80 REPLIES 80

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
I have no problem with 14-16 hour drives. DW only gets 2 weeks of vacation, so 2 days down to the Keys and back (when we go there) eats away enough of that vacation time. It works for me, does not necessarily work for everyone.

Good point. My wife worked her rear end off for thirty years and I intend to take her anyplace she wants to go as long as I can get behind the wheel. She's afraid to drive our MH so I figure it's my duty to step up and make sure she has some fun after taking care of me for almost forty years now. We're flying to Alaska next month but when we get back home, I'm going to let her pick the next destination for a trip in the MH. :B

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a trip you truly want to do and are both comfortable with driving and pushing through that quickly...go for it. After all it is your vacation. You are the only one that knows your limits. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with 14-16 hour drives. DW only gets 2 weeks of vacation, so 2 days down to the Keys and back (when we go there) eats away enough of that vacation time. It works for me, does not necessarily work for everyone.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
And for the needing a vacation from the vacation, that is what going back to work is for. I can relax more there than I do at home. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
liquidspaceman wrote:
wbwood wrote:
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?

Here's my question. Have you both driven a Class C before? I know you're thinking you've driven a car or truck or even van before and think it is the same, it's not. Driving a Class C can be more tiring than any of those from fighting the wind, steering issues, rear end sway, bumps and potholes.

Before you drive anywhere far, just drive 100 miles in the thing and see what it's like. You might change your mind. Then again, it could be pretty normal to you. Who knows until you try it? All I know is that I drove my RV from the dealership to home (just 55 miles) and it was exhausting. Because I need some modifications to it for better driving.

Driving an f250 crew cab (4x4) towing an 11,000 lb 35' TT that was taller than a class c is not a ride in the park. Give that one a try.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
I have been tossing this around in my mind & trying to put myself in your DW's position. I am not sure what experience she has behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that with blind spots unlike a standard vehicle but for me, it is very little. I think I would be more comfortable making a trip like that after I had quite a bit of experience in me and take a shorter trip this year. That is just me. She may jump in the drivers seat & take off like a champ but she may feel more intimidated behind that wheel in traffic than she may think. Also another thing to consider, for us the drive home seems to always be more exhausting than the trip out, you may find yourself needing a vacation from the vacation if you push too many miles on the way home & need to get back to work soon. Just a thought.

She's more than capable.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We limit our overall trips distances to 3000 miles or less to avoid having more time sitting behind the wheel then in enjoying time at places along the way. That means roughly 1500 miles or less from our house.

For greater distances we either fly and rent a car and stay at hotels and B&B's, or we fly and rent an RV. We arrange to arrive in a town early in the morning and the day we land we pick up the RV, stock up on supplies, and are on the road. Coming back we arrive the afternoon before we plan to fly home and stay at a hotel with airport shuttle service.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
Are you sure you aren't my father reincarnated. He would be 110 next month. If we didn't drive at least 500-600 miles per day he thought it was a lost day. We went from Banff to Lake Louise one day and he couldn't believe we only made 40 miles that day. I do remember the limited vacations since I was self-employed and alone in the office. I would just recommend a day of very little when you get to your destination to rest up and enjoy the rest. You can always rest up on the boss's money when you get back. (unless you are also self employed).

Lol...I was thinking the same thing. My dad and beleive it or not, my wife are peas in a pod when it comes to traveling, limited breaks, go-go-go while I am a stop at every point of interest, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop on the way. They hate me.....:B

liquidspaceman
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

Here's my question. Have you both driven a Class C before? I know you're thinking you've driven a car or truck or even van before and think it is the same, it's not. Driving a Class C can be more tiring than any of those from fighting the wind, steering issues, rear end sway, bumps and potholes.

Before you drive anywhere far, just drive 100 miles in the thing and see what it's like. You might change your mind. Then again, it could be pretty normal to you. Who knows until you try it? All I know is that I drove my RV from the dealership to home (just 55 miles) and it was exhausting. Because I need some modifications to it for better driving.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been tossing this around in my mind & trying to put myself in your DW's position. I am not sure what experience she has behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that with blind spots unlike a standard vehicle but for me, it is very little. I think I would be more comfortable making a trip like that after I had quite a bit of experience in me and take a shorter trip this year. That is just me. She may jump in the drivers seat & take off like a champ but she may feel more intimidated behind that wheel in traffic than she may think. Also another thing to consider, for us the drive home seems to always be more exhausting than the trip out, you may find yourself needing a vacation from the vacation if you push too many miles on the way home & need to get back to work soon. Just a thought.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Before going on a long trip in a class C, I'd try to find some place that specializes in suspension and alignment items with motorhomes. I'm clueless about what people use, but there are a number of people who add aftermarket parts which can make a C ride like a limo... which helps with the driver fatigue aspect.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you aren't my father reincarnated. He would be 110 next month. If we didn't drive at least 500-600 miles per day he thought it was a lost day. We went from Banff to Lake Louise one day and he couldn't believe we only made 40 miles that day. I do remember the limited vacations since I was self-employed and alone in the office. I would just recommend a day of very little when you get to your destination to rest up and enjoy the rest. You can always rest up on the boss's money when you get back. (unless you are also self employed).
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
We went from the Spartanburg SC area to Monument Valley with stops in Oklahoma City, Painted Desert and back in 2 weeks. We meandered along RT 66 and took side trips in Ok and Arkansas. Didn't rush, had a great time. I would prefer to do a short trip rather than speed along just say that we've been to XYZ. Just my opinion.
Paul T

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I used to do it to get to competitive sports events while I was still working.

Whether people like to do it or not I'll just add the mechanics of it all.

The only time you will run into trouble driving non stop cause you can, is during the summer time and traveling thru the 'real' hot southern states.

Once you've heard that clutch fan come on in a V-10 that sounds like a 707 coming in for a landing, cause she's getting hot, you will find out that you really need to pull off and let her catch up and cool down. Can you keep going? Absolutely. I don't.

90 degrees with high humidity, I don't run between the hours of 1:00 and 3:00. It just puts too much on the engine. So if you're running thru the warmer regions just plan your food stop between those hours and let the coach/tires cool down. Just my

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Made a run to Florida (twice), non-stop with 3 drivers in a full-sized van in 24 hrs. Just stopped for gas and nature calls. However, that was 30-some years ago when we were in our early 20's and it took us a day or two just to get our &#### back together. We only had 1 wk vacation and getting to the destination was paramount! I certainly would not attempt it, now-a-days.

Next month, DW and I are heading to Charlston, SC and we are planning on 3 days to get there.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude