cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving non stop

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
80 REPLIES 80

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I love to drive. Was an over the road truck driver. My only recommendation is when driving late at night is be very careful. Sleep will creep up on you and you will never notice it until the accident starts. As mentined before, My DW and furbaby tried to sleep on the bed while we were going down the road and they both bounced up off the bed. Only you and your DW know your capabilities.

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
I did a up-ther-&-back run to Ohio from Houston almost 4 years ago in 3 days. It was just me, myself, and I. Left Houston Thursday afternoon about 4PM and was back in Houston by Sunday afternoon. Had Monday (4-day weekend) to rest up for work.

No Im not a trucker. I'm a school teacher and at that time I was already over 55. You can do it. It's grueling but do-able. I ate a lot of ice -- keeps me awake and calorie-free!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
As others have also stated...we would not! Doing so would spoil the trip. The longest day driving we've ever pushed was 10 hours with both sharing driving duties. But, no matter what time of year--we always park before dusk. You have to consider you'll miss seeing the areas you travel through in the dark...for us that is a deal breaker! There is a lot to see between your area and the west coast!

I would not consider it safe, especially if driving the rig is new to both drivers. A Class C isn't much larger than a big dualy with a long bed but...it is different, more weight, more affected by wind, etc. It will handle differently! Extra attention to details will be more tiring.

If you only have a week to take, going from coast to coast and back it's just not too doable that far (my opinion). I would hold that trip for sometime when you can take a month off and go somewhere much closer this trip.

You really won't know what you can handle until you try it.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:

Actually, in Texas, it regulated is for CDLs. Anybody know the weekly/daily limit? I think it is weekly and 75ish hours.

Not just Texas, it is federal!!!

"HOURS-OF-SERVICE RULES

Property-Carrying CMV Drivers (Valid Until July 1, 2013)
11-Hour Driving Limit

May drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty.
14-Hour Limit

May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

Rest Breaks
May drive only if 8 hours or less have passed since end of driverโ€™s last off-duty or sleeper berth period of at least 30 minutes. [49 CFR 397.5 mandatory โ€œin attendanceโ€ time may be included in break if no other duties performed]

60/70-Hour On-Duty Limit
May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days. A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty. Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. home terminal time, and may only be used once per week, or 168 hours, measured from the beginning of the previous restart.

Sleeper Berth Provision
Drivers using the sleeper berth provision must take at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, plus a separate 2 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth, off duty, or any combination of the two.

Passenger-Carrying CMV Drivers
10-Hour Driving Limit
May drive a maximum of 10 hours after 8 consecutive hours off duty.

15-Hour On-Duty Limit
May not drive after having been on duty for 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time is not included in the 15-hour period.

60/70-Hour On-Duty Limit
May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days
Sleeper Berth Provision

Drivers using a sleeper berth must take at least 8 hours in the sleeper berth, and may split the sleeper berth time into two periods provided neither is less than 2 hours.

The new rules taking effect Jul 2013 include:
Limitations on minimum "34-hour restarts": (1) Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., home terminal time.
(2) May only be used once per week, 168 hours, measured from the beginning of the previous restart.

Rest breaks: May drive only if 8 hours or less have passed since end of driverโ€™s last off-duty or sleeper berth period of at least 30 minutes. [49 CFR 397.5 mandatory โ€œin attendanceโ€ time for hazardous materials may be included in break if no other duties performed]

On-duty time: Does not include any time resting in a parked vehicle (also applies to passengercarrying drivers). In a moving property-carrying CMV, does not include up to 2 hours in passenger seat immediately before or after 8 consecutive hours in sleeper berth.

Penalties: Driving (or allowing a driver to drive) more than 3 hours beyond the driving-time limit may be considered an โ€œegregiousโ€ violation and subject to the maximum civil penalties. Also applies to passenger-carrying drivers.

Oilfield exemption: โ€œWaiting timeโ€ for certain drivers at oilfields must be shown on logbook or electronic equivalent as off duty and identified by annotations in โ€œremarksโ€ or a separate line added to โ€œgrid.โ€"

Now have fun figuring that out!!!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

jfxg
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
...We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving...

I went on a non-stop trip once-- when I was only 20 (in the AF) and 6 of us drove non-stop from Denver to Boston in 34 hours. Even being young, dumb, and just 20, I learned that lesson quick and haven't done it since.

My suggestion would be that you just get up early and jump on 77 up to My Airy, back down to Winston, then down to Charlotte and back north to Mooresville. Do that loop four times, it'll take you about 16-18 hours, cover about 900 miles. You'll know the territory, see about the same stuff, be just as tired, be close to home in the event of breakdown, and can sleep in your own bed for 5-6 hours before you get up to do it again.
John & Diane, fulltiming with Lincoln, the guard cat.

2002 Dutchstar 40, towing '04 Honda Element.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?

Never. We never even drove through the night when the kids were little. And now that we're older (56) we have no interest in pushing it like that. I'd rather drive 250-300 miles a day, two days in a row, and then stop for a couple nights to catch our breath. Obviously, we don't get anywhere fast but it works for us.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liz and I have done long days. In 2011, we left Rhode Island Friday in late morning and arrived in Cocoa Beach Saturday afternoon. We made it just past Richmond Friday night.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes. I used to do it to get to competitive sports events while I was still working.

Whether people like to do it or not I'll just add the mechanics of it all.

The only time you will run into trouble driving non stop cause you can, is during the summer time and traveling thru the 'real' hot southern states.

Once you've heard that clutch fan come on in a V-10 that sounds like a 707 coming in for a landing, cause she's getting hot, you will find out that you really need to pull off and let her catch up and cool down. Can you keep going? Absolutely. I don't.

90 degrees with high humidity, I don't run between the hours of 1:00 and 3:00. It just puts too much on the engine. So if you're running thru the warmer regions just plan your food stop between those hours and let the coach/tires cool down. Just my

Not at all! Do you think delivery trucks park at that time? Of course not! When the fan kicks on, it's doing what it's supposed to do! A V10 (or any other modern vehicle) will run all day in 100-degree heat without a problem. Been there, done that...I saw 106 on the thermometer last June. My Genesis never topped 215, and that was pulling a long grade with both A/C's on.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Until we retire we are in the same boat. We usually have to drive long hours to get to our destination. Heck, it takes a day just to get out of Texas! So far our record is 1000 miles in a day in our F350 pulling our old 5er. I donโ€™t like it but I understand the situation. This winter we upgraded to a motorhome because of all the long hours we put in driving. I think it will be an improvement.
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
I drive 12-14 hours straight fairly easily. However I think there should be limits. Drowsy driving is a killer and IMHO should be regulated. I have done 23 hours before. Not something I am proud or or would do again. ....but seemed fine doing.

Actually, in Texas, it regulated is for CDLs. Anybody know the weekly/daily limit? I think it is weekly and 75ish hours.

Probably 'safe' to drive up to 18 hours straight, once a week, with lots of coffee. You know yourself tho,,, if not drowsy than no problem.

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Just an FYI..chances are, you are thinking of using the rear bed? I am betting that whoever get in there first while underway..will also be the last. As a rule..because the rear wheels are so far forward of the back of the RV, that the bounce effect is fierce. Maybe take a test drive, taking turns in the bed...see if it works or not.

However..if you can conquer that? go for it. The rolling galley and head make it a doable thing.

Gary Haupt

This.

Is is like a bounce house in every RV I have ever been in. Granted I have only been in 3 when in motion.

Suffice to say, sleeping was not an option.

Throwing up, now that was an option.

Eeerrppppp

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
450 miles is my non-stop mileage limit today!!! Use to do the crazy non-stop limit way back when I was in the military. You could say it was out of necessity, but today I know it was out of stupidity. Slow down and enjoy this wonderful world that is just ahead along the highway!

X2
2 days from Pheonix to Camp Lejuene,40 years ago,but no more.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the late 70s I drove from Tucson AZ to Patchogue LI NY in a car, I was the only driver. I planned on doing it in a few days but did it in 2. First day Tucson to Amarillo TX with an overnight motel stop. The second day I got bored and just kept on driving till I got home. I flew between NY and CA many times but this time I wanted to see everything in between. I soon realized that if I wanted to see and enjoy all the good stuff in between I would need a week or more. Driving a car does not require as much concentration as an RV. It would be cheaper and more cost efficient to fly and rent a vehicle. I do push myself if necessary but in my case I have discovered that if I drive a long distance almost non stop I will probably need 2 days to recover and rest up, or I drive3 days I arrive rested and ready to go. Maybe you will be able to rest while some else is driving.

To answer your question there is little doubt that the trip can be made in the allotted time I just have this gut feeling that what ever time you save driving non stop will be lost when you need to spend a day or two to rest and recover.

The last time I drove non stop between NY and SC was over 7 years ago My physical condition has gotten worst as has my medicals.

Enjoy your trip and do not take any risks that can put you in a hospital. If you mess up there aren't any reset buttons and do-overs

By the way I always try to drive at night to avoid traffic, but if I am driving something big like a truck or RV I prefer daytime driving
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

24DROAD
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have done a lot of "through the night" driving in the past. We enjoyed the trips and had some great stories. One reason to travel at night is to avoid the summer time heat. We stopped driving late at night because of the increased crime and drunken drivers. Stopping for gas, food, or a nap in a rest area at 2AM can be interesting these days. Good luck and drive safely.