cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric bikes !!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets talk about your electric bikes and what you think about them ! We have had our fat tire , twenty inch , folding bikes for two weeks and have been riding them 8 to 12 miles per day . We pedal constantly just because it feels right although I assume you can go on battery twenty some miles . We maintain 14 MPH pretty easily and with more throttle we can get up to twenty ! Our brand " Ecotric Dolphin " , about $ 850 . We like to wander around small towns and some time have to park far away , out in the boondocks because of the length of our rig , we hope this will lead to more exploring and some trail riding . We tend to always pedal and use the battery when these 77 year olde legs get tired ! What kind have ya got , do ya use them as much as ya think ya would ?
94 REPLIES 94

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 Aventon Level bikes and love them, no issues and can easily go 30 miles on the battery. Its a pedal assist class 3 bike. We rode them on the carriage roads last year up in Acadia and glad we had them

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.

Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

As the campground owner said to me this week, "We post it at 5 knowing people will be going faster." They want people keeping it under 10. If it was posted at 10 people would be doing 15+. Just get on a highway posted at 65, that means 75-80 for many.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I would like to see Electric vehicles (Golf Cars, Bikes, Scooters) with a user settable "Max speed" Governor.

The campground I frequent has a 5MPH speed limit. they don't enforce for Bicycles but it would be nice if I could dial in say 10MPH and not worry about going 20.

Bigger issue is an unrealistic speed limit. Most cars will do more than 5mph just idling on level ground. Realistically, people aren't going to drive around dragging the brakes to keep the speed at 5mph...and there really isn't much need.

Yeah, people can go too fast for conditions but it sounds more like an enforcement issue.

Looping back to the topic...any ideas for an electric bike for a big guy (6'2" - 300lb) without getting crazy expensive.

I'm not much smarter than a box of rocks, but most campgrounds I have been in there is often kids playing in and near the street. What is a reasonable speed limit thru a playground?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnt mind having ev bike like this. :B

https://youtu.be/0q_ufmHlWsA

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
I would love to have a electric bike. But, as a 58 year old, balding, jeans wearing, heavy set guy, I think I would look stupid on one and people would laugh at me.

Could be worse. Around here if I rode a bike wearing a spandex outfit and a helmet like I see people on TV doing they would beat me up or something. lol
Hey, I'm 58, and jeans wearing. You wouldn't look stupid on one, and if someone said you did what do you care at this age? The exercise is great for you.

Don't do the spandex. EVER!

Donโ€™t be so hard on yourselves. Iโ€™m 51 and would have no problem sitting in a chair drinking and making fun of you guys! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously though. I just got my wife an Ebike for mothers day. Iโ€™m looking into a kit to convert my bike to an Ebike. Last year me and my buddy rode the Elroy Sparta (WI) trail almost complete about 24 miles. I can tell you I pushed my legs the last 4 miles! An Ebike with pedal assist wouldโ€™ve been great!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caveman Charlie wrote:
I would love to have a electric bike. But, as a 58 year old, balding, jeans wearing, heavy set guy, I think I would look stupid on one and people would laugh at me.

Could be worse. Around here if I rode a bike wearing a spandex outfit and a helmet like I see people on TV doing they would beat me up or something. lol
Hey, I'm 58, and jeans wearing. You wouldn't look stupid on one, and if someone said you did what do you care at this age? The exercise is great for you.

Don't do the spandex. EVER!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:

Yeah, people can go too fast for conditions but it sounds more like an enforcement issue.

Looping back to the topic...any ideas for an electric bike for a big guy (6'2" - 300lb) without getting crazy expensive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Waking up the e-bike thread.
We just went on our first camping trip of the year with our Lectric bikes. We were in a pretty hilly campground and since we don't have a toy hauler, the bikes are our "golf cart". One thing to keep in mind is the campground speed limit. Especially on the downhills. We had the owner stop in our site at one point. He was looking for two kids on Lectric bikes. One black and one white. Which we just happen to have sitting on our site. But we don't have any kids. We did see the others flying around the campground and other campers rightly complained to the owners.
Our bikes in PAS 1 will run about 6 MPH. That is where we keep them in the campground. One plus to having the bikes over a golf cart is we can head out on the local roads to sight see. We rode 5 miles out to see a covered bridge. With the hills we climbed getting there and back, we would have never made it without the electric assistance.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
went camping last week along with our REI co op Ebikes. Location had lots of paved bike paths, normally in this campground we tackle a few bike routes and have a nice time. With the e bikes, now the bikes are the method to let us get out and really explore. going 5-10 miles to see something new was quick and easy, and we ended up putting on close to 75 miles over 3 days. One of our favorite trips was to an old store serving ice cream, now 10 minutes from the campground with the ebikes and the same on the way back. The climb back up was easy peasy. Probably ended up getting just as much excercise, but saw more and enjoyed it more.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I can set my max to whatever I want
The older we get, the faster we go

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not suggesting that there is a required speed setting. Iam stating for instance that in setting 3 the boost or motor will assist you up to 14 mph and thn cut out.
Setting 4 goes to 16 MPH? and then cut out.
Setting 2 10 mph?
By adjusting the pedal assist setting on flat ground or an incline you can control your speed somewhat. On a slope or downhill the PAS will not control your speed as gravity will take over and you will accellerate down the hill.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Or maybe just a speedometer. I wonder if they make a reliable one for bikes ?

My Pedego Boomerang controls speed via the pedal assist setting.
Each increment from 1-6 correlates to a specific max. speed.
It is software limited to 20 mph Max.
We have his and her Boomerang step thru models. Definetly adds another fun dimension to the camping experience.

the standards for ebikes are class 1, 2, or 3.

class 1 no throttle only pedal assist, motor quits above 20mph

class 2, pedal assist with throttle, again 20 mph limit

class 3, pedal assist 28 mph max.

AFAIK non of the standards require a speed limit setting, nor do they prohibit speeds above the limit, the motor just cuts out.

Our ebikes come with a spedo,

Our experience is that even with the "eco" assist on our e bikes on level terrain its pretty easy to end up at 10mph pedaling like one normally would for 5 mph, and 15 is pretty easy to get to. easy to go faster than one thinks pretty quick.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CavemanCharlie wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

My Pedego Boomerang controls speed via the pedal assist setting.
Each increment from 1-6 correlates to a specific max. speed.
It is software limited to 20 mph Max.
We have his and her Boomerang step thru models. Definetly adds another fun dimension to the camping experience.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote: