cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Coolers

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have an electric cooler? We usually keep our beverages in a regular cooler and not in the refrigerator of the TT. Saw one of these electric coolers, Coleman made this one, it was AC and had an outlet for a vehicle. During the hot summer months we go through a lot of ice. LOL We probably take too many beverages,etc...
43 REPLIES 43

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
ARB makes a great one. Not cheap. The cheap units are good for about 20deg difference. Would be OK if on shore power or moving with vehicle alternator.

depends on the coach - my coach (engine) alternator charges the house batteries while we're traveling, so the 12vdc supplied to the basement cooler never stops & our house batteries stay charged.

NO cooler will run better on 120vac any better than it does on 12vdc.

Thermo-electrics won't do a sufficient job in the summer. compressor units will go down to at least -5 degrees (below zero) (f) - even on the hottest days.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
ARB makes a great one. Not cheap. The cheap units are good for about 20deg difference. Would be OK if on shore power or moving with vehicle alternator.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we have one. Use to use it a lot, but over the years use it less and less, as we are now only carrying enough food items for about 3 days out, and drinks in the refer door, take one out, put one in. But the cooler has held up for over 15 years now. We still use it every now and then, comes in handy more when we do not have the camper then when we do, for example day trips, or if we plan on traveling the area and sight seeing once at the campground.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
a little late to the game but,

Keep in mind the fridge freezer and the cooler are two entirely different animalsโ€ฆ the fridge freezers are compressor operated and temp controlledโ€ฆ

The coolers have no compressor and will keep contents about 40* below the outside ambient tempโ€ฆ

Both are good and do their intended jobs wellโ€ฆ

There is an obvious difference in performance and price with the refrigerator typeโ€ฆ but IMHO worth the difference toโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
The better ones, it is just another name for a refrigerator, and they work as well as a refrigerator. Some I've seen offer option to use as either a fridge or a freezer, have not seen one to do both at the same time.

Others really are just coolers, with limited capacity (-20F to -30F from outside temp) and if you are in really hot weather, you are better off with an ice chest, which will bring the melt water down to 32 F so long as there is ice left, regardless of ambient temp. Yes, they do go through a lot of ice, when it is hot. I've kept ice for two days in Oklahoma summers, 5-6 days in Michigan with the cooler in the shade.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Engel and it works as either a cooler of freezer. AC/DC and automatically switches. We use ours as a freezer. Not inexpensive though but worth it to us.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
bshpilot wrote:
We've got a 63 qt EdgeStar - its been running in my basement storage for 3.5 years NON stop w/out issue (except the time i lowered the thermostat too low & froze a beer).

our edgestar runs on 12vdc or 120vac (automatically switches based on whats available).

I never empty ours & never turn it off - when the coach is in storage, the cooler is on shore power.

I have a friend that has the same cooler in the back of his van. The van sits outside his house in the TEXAS sun - his cooler is 2 yrs older than ours and it has NEVER been turned off, EVER, and its never missed a beat. My friend powers his off a single deep cycle battery (when he's not on shore power) and a single solar panel (on the roof of the van) to keep the battery charged when he's dirt biking int he desert.

I picked ours up from COMPACT APPLIANCES (free shipping).

our outdoor cooler is one of the best upgrades that I've ever made - even if we sell the coach ill buy another cooler. I love not having to search for ice or worry about how much ice is in the cooler.

We have the same one and love it. Been running for a year and a half. Pulled it out to take in the back of the truck for the 4th. Can run on 12 volt but took a long extension cord. It can be used as a freezer if wanted. When we have to defrost our refer on occasion it is great for holding the food. Without having to deal with ice and the water there is a ton of space. It cools quickly and to the exact temp you want. I use a small battery operated fan for even quicker cooling when loading a lot of stuff.

As said, this is the best addition to our rv. We are full timers. Ours is on a slide out so is even easier to use.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two types of electric "Coolers" one is the ThermoElectric solid state (Think Koolatron) units, I call them a -30 box because the best they can do is 30 degrees below "Room" temp so if it's 100 in the shade, they get you to 70, if it's below 70 they work. (70-30 = 40 which is the warmest you want a fridge)

The other is a high effiency compressor unit, these are way heavier, I know both Dometic and Norcold have offerings in this category, I do not know if Coleman does, they usually run on either 12vdc or 120vac draw around 35-40 watts running and the Engel next to me does a great job of keeping ice cream frozen even when it's 90+ here in the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 43qt Edgestar that uses a compressor. A stamp on the compressor says it uses 5 amps when running. To be sure its electrical needs are taken care of I wired it to a dedicated Group 34 battery then connected the battery to a 12v power outlet. I unplug the battery from the 12v power outlet when camped. It should run several days in that manner but I haven't camped long enough in one spot to find a limit. I also carry a 2000w Yamaha and a 30 amp battery charger just in case I want to stay a number of days in one spot.
Currently Between RVs

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and really like it. This is our second one. We travel in a very small pop-up and this is what we use all the time. There is just two of us so limited space works pretty well for us. We have not used it in really hot weather since we prefer to camp in the Spring and Fall.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I WOULD NOT waste my money on any "thermo-electric" cooler - they'll never keep the goods cool enough on even the warmest days - and they run constantly / NON STOP !

look at the units that have compressors in them - they'll run less and they'll have no problem keeping up in the hottest (texas) weather !

Its amazing how much more room you have in a cooler when ice isn't consuming space ! The freedom of not having to buy ice or worry about where you're gonna get it is huge - no more over priced ice at the track etc.
Don R.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bunch of smaller cooler types and IIRC they claim to keep things about 40 degrees cooler than ambient. I have one that makes ice, sort of. it came with a tiny aluminum ice cube tray which you set on the bottom, then put an insulated divider over it and wait. but it actually does freeze. no practical use however.

mine are more like that Koolatron fun that was at that link.

I do NOT consider any of mine to be a waste of money. truck stops sell a bunch of them, so they must be liked by somebody. like my refrigerator in my RV, I always put cool/cold things into it.
bumpy

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I have one like this one- it's handy for keeping things cool while underway in the car, but it doesn't chill as cold as an ice chest does. This because they're really "heat pumps", so won't reduce temps much below about twenty degrees of ambient temperature. I also bought an adapter that lets one use it off 110v for trips where power will be available at destination.

Here's a tip:
Since cooling is related to incoming air temp., strategic placement near an onboard A/C vent works wonders.

I like the "keep warm" feature, too- handy if one goes to a lot of potlucks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a 63 qt EdgeStar - its been running in my basement storage for 3.5 years NON stop w/out issue (except the time i lowered the thermostat too low & froze a beer).

our edgestar runs on 12vdc or 120vac (automatically switches based on whats available).

I never empty ours & never turn it off - when the coach is in storage, the cooler is on shore power.

I have a friend that has the same cooler in the back of his van. The van sits outside his house in the TEXAS sun - his cooler is 2 yrs older than ours and it has NEVER been turned off, EVER, and its never missed a beat. My friend powers his off a single deep cycle battery (when he's not on shore power) and a single solar panel (on the roof of the van) to keep the battery charged when he's dirt biking int he desert.

I picked ours up from COMPACT APPLIANCES (free shipping).

our outdoor cooler is one of the best upgrades that I've ever made - even if we sell the coach ill buy another cooler. I love not having to search for ice or worry about how much ice is in the cooler.

Don R.