Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric heaters for travel trailers

philnoah
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone provide some information on they type of electric supplemental heat
you use in your RV. This is in lieu of using propane over extended stays.
35 REPLIES 35

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Road Dog wrote:
Google "Vornado" Great heater and very quiet! The problem with small cube heaters is they are noisy. Small fan and high rpm's make more noise!

X2 Fan noise can be a problem with some of the cheap heaters.
Don

We use a Vornado DVTH. It is very quiet and the digital thermostat does a good job or regulating the temperature and fan speed.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
philnoah wrote:
Can someone provide some information on they type of electric supplemental heat
you use in your RV. This is in lieu of using propane over extended stays.

I just use the normal ceramic ones, but like to have one that oscillates since that seems to spread the heat out more and I put the main one under the A/C intake and run the A/C on fan only and that helps even out the temps throughout the trailer better.

Here is a pic of the Pelonis one I have currently:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
philnoah wrote:
Jay, what brand of baseboard heater did you use?

Check your private messages.

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Paw Paw John wrote:
I too went looking for better heat. I found it at rvcomfortsystems.com, it's called cheap heat and it works great...

I'm sure it does work great but it definitely isn't cheap in spite of the name. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Paw_Paw_John
Explorer
Explorer
I too went looking for better heat. I found it at rvcomfortsystems.com, it's called cheap heat and it works great!!! This system installs into the gas heater and work thru the thermostat. Can not be beat. Been using mine for over three years and keeps my camper evenly heated, also the basement. Good luck.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with a built in fireplace/ heater combo. Looks nice and puts out heat with no noise.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We use a plain, cheap ($10 on clearance) 1,500 watt electric heater.

All portable heaters are limited to a maximum of 1,500 watts which is just over 5,000 BTU. This is true whether you pay $500 or $5 for the heater.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RangerJay wrote:
We played with ceramic heaters, tower heaters, radiant heaters and oil-filled radiators ad nauseam for several years before finally installing two 120V baseboard heaters and a digital wall-mount thermostat that has very narrow and precise temperature control (+/- .15 degrees C) - the difference in comfort is night and day - there are no longer "cold" times or "hot" times

I suspect.. That Thermostat is the reason for the comfort.

I use small "Cube" type heaters here both Ceramic and "other" but... The problem I have with them is the thermostat.. I'd love to use a digital wall mount on most of them. and that .15C (Wow, that's less than 0.1 F) would make it the same temp +/- basically nothing all the time.. Now that is what makes for comfort.

Can you please post or PM me the make and model of that T-Stat.. Thanks
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Road Dog wrote:
Google "Vornado" Great heater and very quiet! The problem with small cube heaters is they are noisy. Small fan and high rpm's make more noise!

X2 Fan noise can be a problem with some of the cheap heaters.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
We use a small milk house style eletric heater with a thermostat. The low setting will generally sufficiently heat our 28 foot TT. It has no visible red hot element and I can keep my hand on any portion of the heater without burning. For that reason, I consider it to be fairly safe.

2 days ago, I purchased a $20 quartz heater from Lowes that has a 400 and 800 watt setting. I was amazed at how much heat the thing put out on the 800 watt setting. With no fan there was simply no noise what-so-ever. Nice little heater and the high setting at 800 watts is about half the wattage of the high setting on most little heaters I've seen, but yet lots of heat.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I added the optional heat strip to my AC unit......Duo therm brisk air .

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use this little "fireplace" If you have a place it is nice to sit in front it and feel the warmth. I got the model that has both 750 & 1500 watt settings. Unless it is real cold, the 750 setting is enough.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found it, here it is:

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a add on attachment that goes on the end of your propane furnace and uses electricity to make heat. Just like a electric cube heater but, it uses your furnace fan and duct work to move the heat around. Too much work for me to install but, I though I would mention it in case it works for you.