cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric heating options when on shore power?

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
NOOB heating question...

What are the electric heating options when on shore power? Our HTT has propane heat, but when it is cold (as it was this past weekend), it can run A LOT. Seems like an easy way to burn through the tanks rather quickly. I did remember to switch to the electric water heater at least!

Do y'all use small electric space heaters? Is that preferable to running the onboard gas heater all the time? I assume that if I'm on full 30amp shore power, the draw from the heater(s) should be OK?

TIA
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)
39 REPLIES 39

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just keep in mind that all electric heaters, regardless of price, are very nearly 100% efficient.
So choose the style of your choice but dont be fooled by crazy expensive heaters thinking they will give more heat. They wont.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use a ceramic heater, and have done so with all out units over the years it works good for us and we usually have to turn it down because the TT gets to hot
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too use the OIL FILLED electric heaters when on shore power.

I found the LOW PROFILE type that are only around 17-inches tall. They are also perfect sitting on the floor and placing one of those AC/DC O-2-COOL fans behind them if you want to blow aorund the heat some... Perfect match haha...

Google images

When at camp ground shore power we like to run an extension into the trailer from the campground 20AMP service just for the electric heater. Doesn't take away any current from the 30AMP side...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I gave up on portable heaters, now have "Cheap Heat" system, can use furnace on gas or electric. On a 30 amp I can run 1,800 watts of heat.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a cheapo $20.00 electric space heater and set it on the open oven door or other non combustible surface.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anytime you run the heater on high you will want to watch what else you may have on such as microwave, fridge, toaster, curling iron, coffee pot.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typical 1500 watt electric space heaters pull around 12 amps. One heater should be ok, but two will severely limit what else can be used at the same time. Like your water heater...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

llr
Explorer
Explorer
yes, electric space heater in out current trailer, fireplace in new one. the electric is much quieter and more even heat in addition to saving propane

Keep in mind if it is below freezing and your trailer has heat vents to protect your water from freezing then you need to run at least some propane heat.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I camp in northern Florida for 4 months in the winter. It can get quite cold there (in the 20s) at night.

We travel with two cats and one dog. For safety reasons we use one of those oil filed space heaters that I do not have to fear one of the cats tipping and starting a fire.

It has worked GREAT!
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
ricks99 wrote:

Do y'all use small electric space heaters? YES

Is that preferable to running the onboard gas heater all the time? YES

I assume that if I'm on full 30amp shore power, the draw from the heater(s) should be OK? PROBABLY...as long as you are not running other things on that circuit.

TIA

Some campgrounds prohibit the use of electric heaters, but I am a law breaker who assumes what they don't know won't hurt them. A single, well placed heater, can save a LOT of propane.