cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Grab Handle Mod - Don't Get Locked in!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought I would post this here since many types of RVs use this same folding grab assist handle.

I was surprised to read (here) that you could fold the handle forward against the RV (across the door) and actually trap somebody inside. It doesn't take much force to move the handle, the issue is that the door hits the handle very close to the pivot point and therefore has no leverage to move it.

I had the handle off to replaced the rubber grip portion and decided to see if there was a fix. What I did was take a cut-off wheel and cut some of the side corner off of the mounts to reduce the friction of moving the handle out of a door-blocking position.

Here is the original mount:

Here is what it looks like after I have shaved off the side closest to the door:

Note that I didn't cut into the profile that locks the handle in the open position. This won't affect the storage position or the stability ion the open position if you are careful with your cut. What it does is remove most of the friction and allows the bar to rotate from a position over the door to the open position.

After I got it back together I made a quick video showing how easy it is to open the door if somebody were to pull that prank. Sorry about the orientation , I thought I could fix that on You Tube.

I was shopping on eTrailer the other day and even they had a warning on their site about the potential to be trapped inside with this product. If you have one of these handles I would encourage you to make this (or some other) mod to avoid being trapped inside your RV.,
9 REPLIES 9

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I'll open the patio/sliding door and move the handle...

To the OP... Nice simple fix...

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
If somebody ever does that to me, I'll, I'll.............I'll go out the other door!:B

In case of a fire "the other door" might not be an option!:S

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
If somebody ever does that to me, I'll, I'll.............I'll go out the other door!:B

Hilarious.... I posted above Id put my arm out the window, but hey I guess it would make more sense to go out the other door huh:S
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
motorcycle jack wrote:
I just open the window on the slide, reach out and pull the arm open...easy - peasy.

^^^ ^^^
Ours is the same deal.

Good idea however for folks that could get trapped.

Yep same here
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
We use it on our screen door to keep DD1 from accidentally opening it and taking a tumble down the stairs.
And due to the awning arm located next to the handle the only way it will fold down for travel is across the door.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
motorcycle jack wrote:
I just open the window on the slide, reach out and pull the arm open...easy - peasy.

^^^ ^^^
Ours is the same deal.

Good idea however for folks that could get trapped.

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The threads I read about folding that handle back seemed to be parents solution to keep small children from getting out. IMHO, JMHO a latch hook and eye etc on the inside seemed to me to be a more intelligent solution. Although someone did post that you 'can' still open the door from the inside with the bar folded over.

I;m still getting over being locked in and locked out with those darn Trimark locks and what it cost me the first time for Mobile Repair and the damage I did with a crowbar the 'second' time the lock broke and I couldn't get in.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.