cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Speakers, do you really want them ?

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
While boondocking on a local lake we had quite a storm and found a drip in a kitchen cabinet. Back tracking we found the culprit. Here is the photos and repair story.

Photo and repair story
2010 Coleman Fifth wheel CT325
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop
http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/
93 REPLIES 93

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This thread on a leak repair only lasted one pager before it got hijacked and was morphed into a crazy rant about noise pollution. I thought this only happened during the winter camping hiatus. :R
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do NOT want them,....nor do I want anybody to want them. I prefer peace and quiet whenever I'm trying to sleep. It's a good thing my RV is easy to move to a different location.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love mine, and I hope all the campers around me love them too!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be embarrassed being perfect..........I don't use my outdoor speakers either, I just don't want them to leak.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I camp to enjoy nature and the outdoors. That should not include noise, music or sports radio from nearby campers. There is no such thing as a "respectful level" when you are outdoors, it travels beyond your campsite. I do have a stereo system inside my trailer but no one ever knows that it is on. I walk around the outside of my site to be sure I cannot hear it and I'm not disturbing anyone. On more than one occasion I've hooked up and headed home due to people with outdoor music or TVs. Maybe I'm too old fashioned about getting back to nature and expecting others to be considerate of fellow campers.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you mountainborn.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided the only reason they installed them on ours is for the yet to happen occasion when some one has Iron Butterfly rattling the glass at 2:30 am. I might accompany them with Flight of the Bumblebee. ๐Ÿ™‚

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
SPEAKER LEAKER ? Until you actually take a look, you won't know if the installer at the factory put the speakers in as they were engineered to be, or not. If your speakers are covered like one of mine, it is pretty simple to check.

Loosen a couple of screws and take a peek !
My other speaker was inside of the microwave cabinet.
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
mountainborn wrote:
Repairs to my external speakers are completed. And I noted an installer issue that caused the speakers to leak inside of the trailer. The speakers are designed so that should the weatherproof cone be broken any water couldn't come through to the inside. This feature was defeated by the installer that had put the speakers in upside down !
Great! Now you can test them the next time you go camping! Just be sure to check with your neighbors to make sure none of them are allergic to bass. ๐Ÿ˜›
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Could you tell they were upside down by just looking at them? Wondering if mine are right side up.

>
Yes the "yoke" on the back is solid and the wire connectors should be at the top. The solid yoke at the bottom will make the water go back out through the speaker grill. Here is the way the speaker was installed:

Here is the way it should have been installed:

The installer most likely put it in place with the manufacturer's label where it could be easily read.
The life of this speaker was five years, my estimation because the trailer is a 2010 model.
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop

Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our external speakers often set on an Xm easy listening station. Our speakers are mounted low, head high while sitting in our easy chairs so they are turned down low. The AC unit of the camper in the next site is louder.

I do agree that music and loud taking should be kept in the confines of your own space.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Could you tell they were upside down by just looking at them? Wondering if mine are right side up.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
Repairs to my external speakers are completed. And I noted an installer issue that caused the speakers to leak inside of the trailer. The speakers are designed so that should the weatherproof cone be broken any water couldn't come through to the inside. This feature was defeated by the installer that had put the speakers in upside down !
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
I don't think you could live in any apartment building I've been in...

So, we can't
- make noise
- have dogs that pee and poop
- turn on lights
- have a fire that smokes
- have kids that do things kids do

Now I know why camping is sooooooo much fun ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

You can do ANY of those things during quiet hours (excepting

the pet poop)

THAT will land it back on your porch) Seriously, in 13 years fulltiming I've had to do this 8 times, all "stuff" within my site. Imagine their surprise? When they thought that "quiet time" exempted their precious pooches ๐Ÿ™‚

There are posted quiet hours in most campgrounds Those posted hours are there for a reason. If you wish to make significant noise between the "after" times, go somewhere else or shut down the noise.

I am in no way a contentious person. A "live and let live" lifestyle pervades, but I will not allow you to encroach. Ever.

And live in an apartment building? Please kill me now!!
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you could live in any apartment building I've been in...

So, we can't
- make noise
- have dogs that pee and poop
- turn on lights
- have a fire that smokes
- have kids that do things kids do

Now I know why camping is sooooooo much fun ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M