cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Speakers, do you really want them ?

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
While boondocking on a local lake we had quite a storm and found a drip in a kitchen cabinet. Back tracking we found the culprit. Here is the photos and repair story.

Photo and repair story
2010 Coleman Fifth wheel CT325
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop
http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/
93 REPLIES 93

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
A parrot wouldn't be a problem, as long as you haven't taught him some of the language I hear flying around at times. And, some of Vivaldi's Four Seasons might not be bad either. Lot's of noise on this site now, 'eh?
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:
So, getting back to nature. My parrot screaming won't bother you then. Cool.

You seriously take a parrot camping? Cool!

But, noise from an invasive species is not condoned! Only "sounds" from native species are acceptable.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I really do not want external speakers but we have them, rarely use them. The less holes to caulk and leak the better. Could do without the 2 skylights, the solar battery charger that is worthless on ours, do not need the outside shower. Do not need the outside TV mount either and would like a floor plan without slide-outs like the airstream. Would not want an outside kitchen.

Would rather the manufacturers put that money into a solid built trailer that does not leak with good tires without all these extras. Put a good TV and DVD sound system inside with good speakers.

Although the outside speakers came in handy when a guy had his outside TV blasting 2 sites away. Cranked up my outside speakers...he got the message. Turned his TV off and I turned my speakers off. Guess he did not like my speakers any more than I liked his TV blasting. Most people have those outside entertainment centers on too loud.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
oops!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
Steve B. wrote:
I camp to enjoy nature and the outdoors. That should not include noise, music or sports radio from nearby campers. There is no such thing as a "respectful level" when you are outdoors, it travels beyond your campsite. I do have a stereo system inside my trailer but no one ever knows that it is on. I walk around the outside of my site to be sure I cannot hear it and I'm not disturbing anyone. On more than one occasion I've hooked up and headed home due to people with outdoor music or TVs. Maybe I'm too old fashioned about getting back to nature and expecting others to be considerate of fellow campers.

So, getting back to nature. My parrot screaming won't bother you then. Cool.

For the record, we keep the RV closed up to contain the bird noise when he starts. If it is windows open weather, we close up as soon as he starts up.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I fess up. We had the outside TV and stereo speakers on when they had the Olympics in 12 I think. A whole bunch of Folks were gathered around to watch. I had forgotten about using them. They didn't leak any water though. I got a tube of silcon somewhere if they do. ๐Ÿ™‚

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve B. wrote:
I camp to enjoy nature and the outdoors. That should not include noise, music or sports radio from nearby campers.

There's a misconception right there!

Classical music is not noise, or mere music, or sports. It's the true music of nature and should be enjoyed when out in it. :B

By the way, our RV's outside entertainment center does not leak water ... and both it's 12 volt and 120 volt outlets are super handy at times.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a question and sort of playing devils advocate here. So because you don't like to hear music I can't listen to it and have to put up with your silence? Why can't we take turns? I do use my speakers but I keep the volume down.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I usually forget I have them. But by chance I decide to play them I walk the boundary of my site to make sure I can only hear it. If my neighbor happens to have super hearing, tough!
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
Between vehicles running, car doors closing, kids playing, dogs barking, the wind blowing, etc.

I believe that you just answered your own question.

We are long time fulltimers and don't "go camping". Even 15 years ago before starting fulltime, when we did "go camping" we avoided places such as you just described like the plague. We still do, and have become experts at "off the beaten path".

To each their own. Outside speakers? Highly unlikely I'll ever hear yours. TG
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Some of you are seriously miserable people and I hope you stay close to home and never camp anywhere near me.

I have outside speakers on my RV and I use them all the time. I don't crank the volume up very high but I have it so I can hear my music when I'm at my campsite.

Where the heck do some of you camp? Between vehicles running, car doors closing, kids playing, dogs barking, the wind blowing, etc. no one outside my campsite can hear them.

Are your normal lives as miserable as your supposed relaxing camping lives?
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Mountainborn, thank you for straightening this out, how the thread wound up where it is.

I know I wondered why anyone would want them, but if I bought a camper with them, I don't think it would be a deal breaker (though I'd be worried about another thing that could leak!). Haven't had a problem with someone disturbing us with their outside entertainment center and we'd probably wind up enjoying one if we had one...but it's not something I miss just now...

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
Like some on here, I don't much care for external speakers, Yet the new trailer that we wanted had them. Here is the closing statement from the article that prompted the 7 pages of comments in this thread.
>
Now, when we bought the trailer, I did not care for the outside speakers, but I thought, โ€œwell, Iโ€™ll just leave them off. And we have, but they still came back to bite us in the butt ! Our trailer is six years old and it looks like the leak was there for awhile before we detected it.

Outside speakers, do you want them ?

>
Though we never used them, they still came back to bite us in the butt !
2010 Coleman Fifth wheel CT325
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop
http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I was just answering the first question (seemed serious to me)....:B

BTW down here we don't winterize the RV.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:
Wow! This thread on a leak repair only lasted one pager before it got hijacked and was morphed into a crazy rant about noise pollution. I thought this only happened during the winter camping hiatus. :R

Wait and see what winter brings!!!! :E
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!