cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
I see many of the newer RVs are coming with fireplaces. Just wondering if they are only for aesthetics or do they function as a significant heat source. For those who have one--are they worth the cost, any issues with them (pro or con), would you get another one, etc. Thanks for your comments.
37 REPLIES 37

NC Hauler wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
On the 5'r we ordered back in 2008 , we passed on the fireplace because of the cost and what heat it put out.. They have gotten better.

The 5'r we just ordered this summer now has a 5100 BTU fireplace...

This weekend will be the first chance that we have had to camp and use it.. I will know after the weekend if it was worth it or not . .
But all the folks we know who have one and use it , LOVE it..

What model do you have? I've never seen one over 1500 watts...5100 watts would be quiet an increase and would, I think, make a big difference in heating..

On edit - after checking , it shows as 1500 watt at 5100 BTU . .

Jim ,
it is 5100BTU not watts.. I believe it is a Dimplex Model #NBDF2608 , But will have to check that out closer when I get home.. I do know that on the brochure , they advertise 5100 BTU ??
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
5,100 BTU is just under 1,500 watts.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
On the 5'r we ordered back in 2008 , we passed on the fireplace because of the cost and what heat it put out.. They have gotten better.

The 5'r we just ordered this summer now has a 5100 BTU fireplace...

This weekend will be the first chance that we have had to camp and use it.. I will know after the weekend if it was worth it or not . .
But all the folks we know who have one and use it , LOVE it..

What model do you have? I've never seen one over 1500 watts...5100 watts would be quiet an increase and would, I think, make a big difference in heating..

ON EDIT: Manufacturer's spec sheet DOES list a 5100 watt fireplace...OP; awesome looking 5er by the way..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Won't put out anywhere near what the furnace will and won't be enough in colder weather and doesn't provide even heating throughout. As well, electric heater output varies as the square of the voltage, so by the time it's down to 105 volts, you've lost 1/4 of it's rating. It can get down that low sometimes as we have found out (in temps low enough to need heat).

Depending on the size of a camper, the amount of heat may be woefully inadequate in colder temps. If you have an enclosed underbelly, the floor will feel cold without the furnace running.

Then there's the question of what to do for load management if you have a 30 amp service. If you have 50 amp service that's great but it's often hard to find a 50 amp site in a CG (due to NEC min. requirements).

They're aesthetically nice and are a lot quieter than a furnace.

I installed an electric heater in each of our 3 rooms/areas totaling 1750 watts and the heat is very even in our 29' TT and adequate to down to about 38F temp. If it's just an electric alternate to the furnace you want, a 1500 watt residential kickspace heater like what I did in the photo would work with either a built-in thermostat or a remote one. Not sure what they charge for a fireplace option. I might even question the quality of the ones they install - maybe better to install a good one yourself?

If it's more the look and feel of a fireplace that's what you want, go for it.

I've never seen a TT or 5er that used a 1500 watt fireplace as it's PRIMARY heat source:h, they ALL still had a furnace. These fireplaces look good, have different heat settings and a blower....they can help take the "chill" off, but DEFINITELY aren't used as a primary heating source and again, I've not seen an RV that uses the 1500 watt electric heaters as such.

We love ours, last 3 5er's we've owned has had them and they do what they're intended for ...warm a room up some on a chilly morning and provide some ambiance to the room they're located in...If it's REALLY COLD, one obviously will use their furnace AND the 1500 watt fireplace to keep place warm
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
Take a chilly morning, a good book and a hot cup of coffee and you'll never question your decision to have the fireplace. Ours came with it and we thought we would have preferred the space instead but soon became very happy with having the fireplace.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Buy the fireplace for the aesthetics. The heat output is the same as a $10 space heater from Walmart.

true but they now cost about $19.00. I have a DVD that shows a fireplace and has an option to play Christmas Carols.

bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also run the flicker light display without the electric heat...

That alone makes you feel warmer haha..

The first time I ran across one of these was in a Gatlinburg Hotel. All the signs said FIREPLACE included which we truly enjoyed back then... After we checked in we found out it was a display with electric heater in it haha... And on top of that it ran on a timer with only a 60 minute run time...

Geesch...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also run the flicker light display without the electric heat...

That alone makes you feel warmer haha..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Ours did not have one, so I added one. And we really like it, especially the DW as she backs up to it on a cool morning. I like the fact it is not a space heater sitting out in the floor to kick or trip over. And the simulated flame is a nice touch.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
In our 5er we use it regularly in the spring and fall. You need to use some common sense with it though. In our case our bedroom is at the front of the trailer. The fire place is at the back of the trailer and the heat it puts out goes directly up to the A/C unit where the thermostat is located that controls the furnace. So we either have to raise the temp up so the furnace would come on to keep us warm up front or use another electric heater in the bedroom. We actually use one of the oil filled heaters in the bedroom for a more even heat.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enjoy mine and it swivels around to either the living room or bedroom. When it's really cold I use the furnace to bring up the temp and then the fireplace generally alone can maintain the temp.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Our "fireplace" does a great job of keeping the RV comfortable down to the 30's. Once it gets near or below freezing, I click on the furnace to make SURE NOTHING UNDERNEATH CAN FREEZE UP.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It keeps the temps more even versus swinging wildly. Ours had a remote but the remote box burned up. It has switches on it so the remote is not an issue.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours! It provides a nice bit of heat in our living area. We also just like the looks and cozy atmosphere it creates. We especially like that we don't have to worry about tripping over a space heater or tipping one over.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't put out anywhere near what the furnace will and won't be enough in colder weather and doesn't provide even heating throughout. As well, electric heater output varies as the square of the voltage, so by the time it's down to 105 volts, you've lost 1/4 of it's rating. It can get down that low sometimes as we have found out (in temps low enough to need heat).

Depending on the size of a camper, the amount of heat may be woefully inadequate in colder temps. If you have an enclosed underbelly, the floor will feel cold without the furnace running.

Then there's the question of what to do for load management if you have a 30 amp service. If you have 50 amp service that's great but it's often hard to find a 50 amp site in a CG (due to NEC min. requirements).

They're aesthetically nice and are a lot quieter than a furnace.

I installed an electric heater in each of our 3 rooms/areas totaling 1750 watts and the heat is very even in our 29' TT and adequate to down to about 38F temp. If it's just an electric alternate to the furnace you want, a 1500 watt residential kickspace heater like what I did in the photo would work with either a built-in thermostat or a remote one. Not sure what they charge for a fireplace option. I might even question the quality of the ones they install - maybe better to install a good one yourself?

If it's more the look and feel of a fireplace that's what you want, go for it.