Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those concerned about driving through Atlanta - a primer

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
HOW TO DRIVE IN ATLANTA:
1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, Atlana. Old-timers are still allowed to call it Alana.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on I-285 is 80 mph. On I-75 and I-85, your speed is expected to at least match the highway number. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Atlanta has its own version of traffic rules. For example, Ferraris and Lamborghinis owned by sports stars go first at a four-way stop. Cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go second. The trucks with the biggest tires go third. The HOV lanes are really designed just for the slow Floridians passing through who are used to hogging the left lane everywhere.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light or stop sign, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot. Unless there is a police car nearby.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting. Generally, city roads other than the main streets have more potholes and bumps (usually speed bumps) than most dirt roads in the countryside.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, furniture, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, and crows.

9. Be aware that spelling of street names may change from block to block, e.g., Clairmont, Claremont, Clairmonte.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been โ€œaccidentally activatedโ€.

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 75 in a 55-65 mph zone, k, e.g., you are considered a road hazard and will be โ€œflipped offโ€ accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.
26 REPLIES 26

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through "Atlana" many times. First couple of times were a bit scary, but now, not that big of a deal. Even St. Louis is not that bad.
Big thing is watch your lanes so you don't have to do the panic move to the left to stay on the main freeway as the right lane(s) filter off to somewhere you don't want to go. The last time (Oct.2015) I drove through at 3.30-4.00am...no problems...lol

I find now that Nashville is getting worse, at least in my perception, so next time I'm down that way I'll see if there is a better route around the city.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I see every one has about the same impression of driving in Atlanta that I do.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even drive on I-75 in Cincinnati and I've lived here all my life.
I've tried every possible way and time to get through Atlanta, and it just isn't worth it, especially in a MH. If there's an opening for me to move one lane to the left, somebody speeds up to block my move.
So, if I'm headed to Florida, I take I-65 just south of Cincinnati all the way to I-10E in the Florida panhandle, then south on I-75 for the Gulf coast or I-95 for the Atlantic coast. Longer drive? Yes. Lower blood pressure on arrival? BIG yes.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Great list!

Should add never plan ahead by getting in proper lane for an exit. Wait until you are 10 feet from the exit and change at least 4 lanes without looking.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Great primer!
The only thing left out is - if you ever get off the interstate in Atlanta, the name of the street will be "Peachtree". It may be Peachtree St., Peachtree Ave., Peachtree Way, Peachtree Loop, Peachtree Alley... But it WILL be Peachtree. Then, you have every minor point on the compass : Peachtree (whatever) NE, NW, SE, South, East, NNE, ... Etc.
Also, don't try to "around the block" in Atlanta. There are no "blocks".
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The always ending lanes is what I hated the most. At least most of time you was moving to the left... Everytime we have gone thru Hotlanta seems like they were repairing the roads. Sometimes it works better just going downtown thru the main road... At least there are no sudden RIGHT TURNS two lanes over away from you like in Memphis haha... Then you know what all the black skid marks on the pavement are all about...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Shaw is a man who has spoken the absolute truth!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Shaw wrote:
HOW TO DRIVE IN ATLANTA:
1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, Atlana. Old-timers are still allowed to call it Alana.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on I-285 is 80 mph. On I-75 and I-85, your speed is expected to at least match the highway number. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Atlanta has its own version of traffic rules. For example, Ferraris and Lamborghinis owned by sports stars go first at a four-way stop. Cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go second. The trucks with the biggest tires go third. The HOV lanes are really designed just for the slow Floridians passing through who are used to hogging the left lane everywhere.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light or stop sign, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot. Unless there is a police car nearby.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting. Generally, city roads other than the main streets have more potholes and bumps (usually speed bumps) than most dirt roads in the countryside.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, possums, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, furniture, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, and crows.

9. Be aware that spelling of street names may change from block to block, e.g., Clairmont, Claremont, Clairmonte.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been โ€œaccidentally activatedโ€.

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 75 in a 55-65 mph zone, k, e.g., you are considered a road hazard and will be โ€œflipped offโ€ accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.

Darn when I seen you mention the speeds I thought sure you were talking about Chicago!!! lol!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled our TT through Atlanta last year - NEVER AGAIN! I'll go an extra couple of hundred miles to avoid that crazy city.
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever been to Boston.
I'll take Atlanta any day over Boston

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, That pretty well sums it up.