cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel mileage 5th wheel vs travel trailer

FIRECHIEFBUBBA
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 2011 Crossroad Cruiser Patriot 5th wheel for a 2020 Winnebago Voyage travel trailer. The 5th wheel was 34 foot and weighted 9700 pounds. The new Winnebago is 36 foot and is 1500 pounds less at 8200 pounds. The question is the t re mailer gets less gas mileage by about 3 mpg that the taller heavier 5th wheel. Both pulled by same truck .My thought is the weight distribution and pulling of hitches? Any thoughts?
37 REPLIES 37

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
The total package is less aerodynamic, the 5er has smoother air flow than a PU and TT.

True story, can't fool physics.
And there could be other more subtle differences that contribute to fuel mileage as well.
However I seriously doubt 3mpg difference simply due to the trailer.

I don't get 3 mpg different or anywhere near that much between hauling the TC. TC & 6klb boat. Boat by itself, or 32' v nose enclosed trailer.

What can and sometimes does make that magnitude of difference though is ground speed, terrain, altitude, fuel type and wind speed/direction.

Caveat, I'm not an obsessive fuel mileage checker. Generally I may flip to the mileage screen during a trip, say, "Yup getting bad mileage..." and flip it back to the compass/temperature screen.

(Watch your language please.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Totally different results than OP. My mileage went up when I switched back to a travel trailer of nearly the same size. Maybe I "wanted" it to be that way and drove a little more conservatively? Maybe the OP's TT had a dragging brake or some other mechanical problem? Maybe the OP's tow vehicle developed a problem after the switch? On the other hand, if 5ers now get 30-40% better fuel mileage, I may purchase another.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
A brother delivered trailers around the country and told me he got better mpg with a 5er than a TT. Same truck with many different trailers and destinations

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider that quite an anomaly! Generally the higher frontal area above the tow vehicle is responsible for fuel mileage differences!

My opinion may be skewed by the tow vehicle (pick up truck) having a topper, which may have positively affected the air flow across the tow behind camper.

On a slightly different issue, unless extreme, weights are not a significant issue pertaining to mpg. If the same unit is used in a comparison, wind resistance due to increased speed is much more of a factor in mpg than is a few hundred to a thousand pounds of carry weight. Many folks will not fill their fresh tanks prior to travel. I would dare to suggest that under identical situations, the difference in fuel mileage is near immeasurable!

memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
The total package is less aerodynamic, the 5er has smoother air flow than a PU and TT.

This ^^. There is much less of a gap between the cab and the front cap of a fifth wheel than between the cab and the front of a travel trailer. The longer distance with the TT setup allows turbulence to set up in the bed of the truck (coming over the cab) and air to slam into the front of the TT. On the fiver setup, the air flows more smoothly from the top of the cab up and over the front cap of the fiver.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. Mileage is more about wind than weight.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“My thought is the weight distribution and pulling of hitches?”

IMO neither is a factor worthy of mention regarding MPG.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad