cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas islands

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled into a QT for gas and had a difficult time getting to the pump. Everyone drives all over the place.

If you go to a truck stop, is gasoline available in the truck islands, or is it just diesel?
26 REPLIES 26

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling a road I expect to travel again in the future, I add the spot that is easy to get in and out of for gas to my favorites on my Gps
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
jessjerr1831 wrote:
Whenever possible after filling up I always move my RV. Then go inside.

I always move our rig if there is somewhere to move it to. Often there simply isn't any RV parking area and I'm forced to leave it at the pump while using restrooms, grabbing snacks etc. If thats the case I try to hurry. I do not sit down at the restaurant for awhile!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
Oakman "Diesel only at the truck pumps, but most Flying J's have RV pumps off to the side that dispense both gas and diesel."
Only problem with these and it has happened to me twice this year, is the rigs pull into them, get their gas or diesel and then go inside. Leaving their rigs at the pumps. And it has been quite a while before they come back out to move their rigs. It is frustrating to have to sit there and wait. Whenever possible after filling up I always move my RV. Then go inside.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a diesel truck. Last time I pulled into a truck stop I tried to use the truck pumps. Could not figure out the pump card system. Seemed to be looking for a commercial truck card of some sort. Pump card reader, display and buttons were very different than other pumps intended for passenger cars and trucks. Could not figure out a way to use my debit card.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to anticipate gas stops before we head out for a day of travel, and check out the stations on Google Earth and/or street view. Or sometimes just pull off and do the online thing before we get there. Getting into the station is rarely a problem, but getting out again can be.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I gas up the RV I always attempt to use an "Outside" pump.. Example

1 2 . 3 4

5 6 . 7 8

I will try to use 1, 4, 5 or 8

If there is a single pump island.. I go for it

That is about the best I can offer.

Do look at the station before you pull in.. I have one shell I sometimes gas up at where I make a partial right turn (On the road) to pull in, pull up next to the pump (Single island) and then pull straight ahead onto the cross street and make a partial turn to continue on... Of course that only works because the destination is "To the right" as I pull out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
The "Next Exit" tells you if there's gas at the next exit, but it doesn't tell you if you can pull thru with a toad. I always look for stations with islands parallel to the store front since I can't back up without unhooking the toad. And I start looking when I get below a half tank.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
The extra traffic at truck stops is a lot more of a problem than most gas pumps. I avoid them like the plague. Gas pumps are sitting still but cars are in motion and like you said, driving all over the place.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to have a sharp eye before entering a gas station.
If I see a bunch of cars, I'll just drive right on by.
I usually try to get at a end island, but there are a lot of larger places that there is plenty of room to go to any Island.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the end pumps. If possible I drive AROUND the building and come back to the end pump facing out. This frequently makes it much easier to exit the gas station.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel only at the truck pumps, but most Flying J's have RV pumps off to the side that dispense both gas and diesel.

Back when I had a gasser I would always look for exit that had more than one gas station available close to the exit. I would try to use the one that looked more RV friendly. I also would try to use the end pumps.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel only.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake