cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glad we had water on board!

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent stay down in Oregon at Honeyman State Park a situation developed that made us glad we had fresh water on board. We normally travel with some water so we can use the bathroom or wash up when on the road. In this case it was a longer trip so we brought a bit more even though we would be at full hookup sites the whole time. Glad we did!

On the 3rd day the water was cut off due to a leak in the water main supplying the campground. We shut off the spigot and headed out for the day to see the sights. When we came back they were unloading honeybuckets all around the campground for people to use because the water was still off. I've never been so glad to have water in the tank! The water ended up getting turned back on later that afternoon, but it was probably off for a good 8+ hours.

I'll always be sure we have at least 20 gallons or so from now on!
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch
34 REPLIES 34

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
I like to fill up with tap water since our city's water supply is up in the mountains and is very high quality.

Just using rough numbers, our vehicle and trailer weigh around 10,000 lbs. 30 gallons of water is 249 lbs which is 2.5% of the total weight. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to weight so a full tank shouldn't lower our mileage very much since the wind resistance is the same. Even if it is 2%, that is about 1/4 MPG with our normal towing MPG of around 12.

frankdamp wrote:
We have such good quality water at home (in the top five nationwide) we always leave home with the tank close to full - just enough short of full to avoid any siphoning out of the overflow. I don't see that 600 pounds additional payload on a 22,000 pound GVW rig that isn't close to its max, is going to make a significant difference in gas mileage.

Even if it costs 0.1 mpg, it's worth it to avoid drinking some of the skanky city water we've encountered. We usually fill a Brita jug from the potable tank when we aren't on city water at the CG, or turn the city water off temporarily to get drinking water from the tank.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We don't haul but we do fill up when we get where we are going, just in case. If we don't use it, we use it to "clean up" after the trip is over. I always take emergency drinking water and we have filters on both ends.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Since out TT sits in our driveway, it is our disaster water/food store (we live in earthquake country) Water take is always full, so it is full when we roll out. We sometimes go to completely dry campgrounds, and there have been times we thought their would be water but it was contaminated. Come back and one of the first things I do is refill it. As said before, it makes no measurable mileage difference.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The last 3 campgrounds we had disgusting water. Glad I have my own water. Here is where I am right now:

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
RognBon wrote:
We always travel with a full tank of fresh water.

Ditto, though ours is only 30 gallons, including the WH.
i know my home water is good and i have enough of a cushion in the tow capacity to be easily able to handle the weight.

the air resistance of the trailer's front, is a much bigger factor in gas mileage than the water weight is.

that's why i don't understand why some travel without water, thinking they'll get better gas mileage.
or they are already at their tow vehicle's max capacity and have to travel without water.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had the exact same thing happen to me in one park... They over chlornate there so I fill the on-board and use it (This lets the chlorinate "Fade" so the water tastes better.

The other time was in the park I'm in now.. Pushing 100 when I pulled in so I just hooked up electric and used on-board.. When Security delivered my paperwork there was a boil water advisory in the package... Seems they had a well collasp and what was coming out of the tap was very thin mud.

I never used a drop that trip..> By the time I ran out of water (Like 3 weeks and 2 trips later) they had the well fixed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with my tank full. Never know what the water will taste like in other parks. Once I get there I fill a gallon jug and use that first to see how it taste and smells after it sits for a while . If good than I will switch over my valves and use the CG water, if it is not good, I use my tank water. With the MH and tow, I am not worried about the weight of water bothering my MPG. Gary

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
The few 100 pounds the water adds will not be noticable in your fuel mileage. Shape is the biggest factor in the MPG. Case in point - I also have a boat on a trailer that I use that is 1000 pounds heavier than my TT. I get 1 to 2 MPG better when towing it than the TT.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RognBon wrote:
We always travel with a full tank of fresh water.

x2.

1) when we get to the campground we can relax and enjoy stuff for several days if needed before I need to even think about hooking up water etc, instead of doing the hookups immediately so DW or kids can have water.
2) I can, in most cases, have good clean, soft, and good tasting water rather than relying on what is at a campground, which sometimes is either very hard, or not very good tasting. (yes we do drink from the fresh water tank, and haven't gotten sick!). Just because it's "pottable" doesn't mean it's something you really want to use or drink, just that it's safe to use.
3) and yes we have also arrived to find water not available for a variety of reasons, broken pipes, no power etc. etc. or had power go out while we were at a campground and lost water.

As to mpg, the difference is going to be s small you won't notice the effect anyway. It's about like seeing if an extra passenger affects the mileage when driving in a car.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. glad you had water OP. smart of you to make sure your tank had some in it.

we always travel with some water and when arrive, fill it a bit more.

after all, being self contained we should at least be prepared if something does go wrong.

dsomonster
Explorer
Explorer
I try to keep the tank filled as much as possible. I live in SoCal so I don't need to winterize.
It helps when disinfecting the tanks and lines. I don't have to refill.
I keep water in there for the kids potty breaks while on the road.
When we drive long distances, DW will make sandwiches and such and needs a lil H2O for incidental washing/rinsing.
Refilling my 170 gal tank takes a bit and it sucks when everyone wants to get on the road to go camping. If I keep it close to full capacity after each trip, no need to wait on filling the tank.
I know driving with a full tank sucks fuel; however, I never drive more than 3 hours each way to get to camp. At least not yet...

-Ron in SoCal

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I fill my water tank full before heading out. My truck and ride better with additional weight, I really noticed if today on the way home with an empty tank, truck was bouncing more. If nice to have for stops on the road.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with 1/2 tank or so. My concern though is tongue weight as my fresh water tank is at the very back. I have to watch my loading to keep it in range.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is another good reason to carry water. Stability. In a crosswind an RV is little more than an empty box full of air. That added weight down low helps keep the wheels on the road should a big gust hit you sideways.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995