cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good trickle charger or not?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
First, I have never used a battery maintainer or trickle charger on my TT or boat.

I usually keep the TT at the house and just plug it in every few weeks ( 2014 Apex so should have a decent converter ). It does have a battery cut off switch that I installed. Only thing wired direct is the electric jack, don't know if this would cause a parasitic drain if not being used.

The boat has 2 batteries and I usually pull it and put it on the trailer or lift in Dec, until late March or so. It also has a battery cutoff only thing wired straight is the bilge pump which may be a parasitic drain even if not on?

It seems every year I end up replacing one battery on the boat. Wondering if one of these

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623684_200623684?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=11251...

would work on either the boat or TT or both. I see no info on voltage the battery would be maintained at.

Any suggestions for a better maintainer for not a lot of bucks? I do have 110 power I can run to the boat but it is about 100 ft and it would be exposed to the elements. Really don't want that, which is the reason the solar caught my eye. TT can be plugged in with TT cord and 20AMP adapter without a longer cord.
17 REPLIES 17

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
THere are three different threads on the Forum at this time about maintaining batteries while the RV is in storage. There are different opinions about the care and maintenance of batteries, some based on use, some based on science, some on a combination of the two, and some with no real qualifications other than "it's worked for me".

I don't have a horse in this race since I have adequate solar to keep my batteries in great shape. Some good information can be found at Battery University or at The 12 volt side of life.

The bottom line is, that when a battery sits unattended, it is discharging and starts to sulphate. When a small current is connected to the battery that is greater than the potential energy inside the battery, it is being charged. A user will decide towards which side of this situation is applicable to their use and how much loss of battery capacity/longevity is acceptable for their use. Logistics may come into play as not everyone has power close by their RV for the purpose of charging. The worst situation is leaving the RV battery connected with the parasitic loads common to most RV's drawing the battery down to unacceptable levels. A cheap marine hybrid battery won't endure much of that before it no longer works.

Those 1.5 watt solar maintainers will probably not keep an average sized battery from discharging.

~

Good info for "rhagfo" to read and heed - as he is mis-informed...;)

~

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a boat owner, if the boat is out of the water, pull the transom plug or garboard plug if an inboard. Have not seen an out of water boat sink yet.

As far as battery maintenance goes, continue what you have been doing, give them a top up charge every month or so, assuming that they are not hooked up at all. No parasitic loads. Not even for things as small as a clock.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
On my boat I use a 400MA solar charger all winter. I think it was like $50 years ago. The battery lasts the normal 4 to 5 years sitting outside in the cold. So I think it does something good all winter here in Wisconsin. In the spring I top off the battery with a โ€œBattery Minder Plusโ€ for a day or two and the boat is good to go.

On my camper, it has a three stage charger for the house batteries that works even when the batteries are disconnected from the house. Just plug in the AC for a few days each month and all is well.

Now my, new to me last year, chassis battery died last winter. So this year I am putting a โ€œBattery Minder Plusโ€ on that battery. It will work when I am charging the house batteries.

I hope this helps.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I am partial to Battery Minder brand chargers, because they charge by pulses, which help with desulfation, as well as keeping the acid from stratifying. I've used those for months on end, and even a small one, less than 1 amp, would do, assuming no parasitic loads.

i use batteryminders on everything. airplanes, 4 wheelers and now the rv batteries. one 4 wheeler battery is now 15 years old... the airplane batteries typically last 5 years ( norm is 3).

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of Deltran Battery maintainers. Got 3 going in the barn right now. Plug them up and forget them.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I am partial to Battery Minder brand chargers, because they charge by pulses, which help with desulfation, as well as keeping the acid from stratifying. I've used those for months on end, and even a small one, less than 1 amp, would do, assuming no parasitic loads.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how good your converter charger is. If it has a good multi stage charger with a float mode, it will do as good a job as a maintainer so just leave it plugged into 110V and check the battery fluid level occasionally. A battery will lose very little fluid with a good charger, a bad one will have you topping them up regularly.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
THere are three different threads on the Forum at this time about maintaining batteries while the RV is in storage. There are different opinions about the care and maintenance of batteries, some based on use, some based on science, some on a combination of the two, and some with no real qualifications other than "it's worked for me".

I don't have a horse in this race since I have adequate solar to keep my batteries in great shape. Some good information can be found at Battery University or at The 12 volt side of life.

The bottom line is, that when a battery sits unattended, it is discharging and starts to sulphate. When a small current is connected to the battery that is greater than the potential energy inside the battery, it is being charged. A user will decide towards which side of this situation is applicable to their use and how much loss of battery capacity/longevity is acceptable for their use. Logistics may come into play as not everyone has power close by their RV for the purpose of charging. The worst situation is leaving the RV battery connected with the parasitic loads common to most RV's drawing the battery down to unacceptable levels. A cheap marine hybrid battery won't endure much of that before it no longer works.

Those 1.5 watt solar maintainers will probably not keep an average sized battery from discharging.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
On another note - the phone company central offices have generator and battery backup. The batteries are flooded lead acid cells, typically 2500AH for a 2V cell. They're under a constant charge by the rectifiers.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Seems I heard VW shipped their cars with a small solar charger to keep the battery up during transport. I wonder if it's true, and what do they do with the solar panels after the vehicle is sold?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
I believe that keeping a constant charge going is harder on a battery than letting it discharge slightly over several months, then putting back on the charger when being used.

It depends on the actual charging voltage but in general your belief is wrong.

A tender type automatic battery maintainer is much better than just leaving it sit......for periods more than a month or so.

And for the OP:
1.5 watts isn't enough capacity to do much good.
Something on the order of 15 watts with a "smart" controller is much better.

Northern Tool has several different models.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I had one of those, but never had any luck keeping my battery up. I finally got an Ultra Trik-L-Start. It works for me because I can keep my MH plugged in 24/365 at home. (I also changed out my battery killing Magnajunk 7345 for a PD4655V.)

I use the Trik-L-Start as well. Try this link:
http://www.lslproducts.net/UTLS_FAQs.html

I keep my MH plugged in 24x7x365. It maintains the chassis battery perfectly. I used the alligator clips and have it hanging by a wire tie in the engine compartment. Functional, but not elegant, installation. It can be hardwired as well.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h
A battery in good shape will hold a charge for months as long as all parasitic draws are removed! I believe that keeping a constant charge going is harder on a battery than letting it discharge slightly over several months, then putting back on the charger when being used.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got mine at harbor frgt about 6 bucks use on my boats and MH work great.check your water level plug in and wait for spring.