Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Greetings from Germany

Joe_from_German
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

Anyone interested in exchanging E-mails and information with a RV owner from Germany, who plans to visit the USA after retirement next year and in return would be happy to give assistance to anyone from the US, who might be interested to travel Germany by RV?

Joachim, called "Joe", from Germany
22 REPLIES 22

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you do a blog of your travels, and perhaps post more photos of your camp sites in Germany. Born in Lahr, and then back in 87 on exchange....wonderful country I want to visit again.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

cacherjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Joe

I love Germany. Had the privilege of living in Lahr for 5 years. Beautiful country and looking forward to going back someday for a visit.

Joe

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We were stationed at Spangdahlem/Bitberg for a few years. I miss it greatly, for so many reasons. The U.S. is wonderful, but will be a culture shock.

Keep in touch in case you're traveling through Wisconsin.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, just remember the USA is the size of Europe. Approximately 3,000 miles from East to West and the same North to South. It takes months to see the USA same as Europe.

Depending on your preferences there are some must sees: The Grand Canyon, The Space Center, Niagara Falls, The Great Lakes, The North West will remind you of home as will Ohio, lot's of German settlers in Ohio. My family is one of them.

Washington DC is 0K the monuments are wonderful. The traffic is atrocious and the food woefully overpriced.

Good travels in the USA and if you get to Ohio give me a shout. I'll be your guide.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Joe.
Welcome to the forum now, and to our country when you come for your trip.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
When I was in Germany 15 - 20 years ago, I stop at a gas station in a very small town. I ask the lady who pumped the gas (in the USA you do it yourself) to use the rest room (wash room). She said that they did not have a public wash room, but I could use the one in her home next door. NOT IN THE USA will you get such treatment. The USA reply would be "so sorry".
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Joe from Germany wrote:
Hi!

P.S.: I acquired my english language skills in school - that is more than 40 years ago now. My articulateness is quite limited, but I try hard to get better. So if you find strange or ridiculous phrases in my postings, please give me a hint in a personal message. I want to learn from the mistakes I make. Thanks!

Ich habe meine Deutschkentnisse im Jahr 1968. Ich glaube, ich bin nich so schlimm. You do good in English.
God Bless!

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Joe: We hope you have a great time when you visit. You seem undecided at this point whether a Class A or Class C might work best for you. Ultimately, it will be your decision, but here are a couple of things to keep in mind. If you are traveling alone, then a 24 foot Class C might be big enough for you. It is easier to park, and will better fit into shorter camp sites that are typical in state parks and on federal property. If traveling with more than one person, a Class C usually has more sleeping positions than a Class A. I have not checked rental fees, but I believe that a rental fee for a Class C would be less expensive than a Class A. We hope to hear more of your planned trip in the future.

Best wishes

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, I was going to write about this yesterday but didnโ€™t. However, since youโ€™ve brought up sociological differences (Germans love for rules). Please keep in mind, comparatively speaking, we're not like that here, also weโ€™re a lot โ€œuntidierโ€ here in the US as compared to Germany. I worked with a German fellow who loves it here, married a Texas girl and now lives here. His brother hated it here, couldnโ€™t stand the โ€œuntidinessโ€ everywhere he went. He stayed a month and fled back to Germany.

As for me, I tend to be untidy. However, being 1/4 German Iโ€™m very punctual.

Steve

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Joe from Germany wrote:

Another point: I'm dreaming of a Class A - but with the fact in mind, that all the distances in America are so much bigger, I wonder if a fifthwheeler would provide more flexibility and mobility when I decide to stay in a certain region for some days. I am still in doubt, what may be the best solution.

Joe

Ah, the unanswerable question. Which RV is best? So you fly into Florida, Texas, or Arizona, and buy a used something. As good a plan as any. Any idea how long you're planning on being here?
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Joe_from_German
Explorer
Explorer
Currently we have a Class C RV which is 24 feet long. Shipping that to the US would cost at least 3500 Euro (one direction). So my idea was to buy a used vehicle in the States and to resell it when I'm done. Even if I loose 8000 Bucks on the sale, I will be a winner... ๐Ÿ˜‰ - or is there an error in reasoning ???

Another point: I'm dreaming of a Class A - but with the fact in mind, that all the distances in America are so much bigger, I wonder if a fifthwheeler would provide more flexibility and mobility when I decide to stay in a certain region for some days. I am still in doubt, what may be the best solution.

Joe

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Well you certainly do some things better then us.

German Brew pub/campground

Are you thinking of bringing your coach over with you?

Your English is much better then what I get when I call a Help number.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Joe_from_German
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!

It's really amazing, that so many of you responded to my posting. I appreciate that very much and it is great a pleasure for me to give you some information about RVing in Germany. As you may know, Germans are people who like to obey rules. If you give them strict rules, you make them happy... ;-(

In most communities it is completely prohibited for owner of travel trailers to stay for the night on public places. So everyone uses commercial campgrounds. The rates are between 12 and 50 Euros per night - it depends on the time of the year and the quality of the facilities provided on the "Campingplatz", as it is called in german language. There are nearly 3000 commercial campgrounds all over the country.

For owners of motorcaravans the situation is better. The nationwide road traffic act allows an overnight stay on any parking site, if this is necessary to restore the drivers fitness. For the daytime there are many restrictions for the parking of motorcaravans. But especially the owners of this type of vehicles are increasingly looked upon as an economic factor. So many communities have created new types of pitches dedicated to motorcaravans. These are often downtown or at places of special interest - like in a harbour area, close to a museum, amusement parks, a thermal bath or other touristic places. Some are simple parking lots, but an increasing number provides electricity, waste disposal and sanitary installations. Rates are quite moderate between 5 and 15 Euros, but many of these places, called "Wohnmobil-Stellplatz", are even free of charge, and you only have to pay for electricity. Currently there are about 2300 facilities like this.

A "Stellplatz" only 200 feet away from a tradional brewery pub in the town of Soltau (Lower Saxony) is one of my favourite places. After an evening of "German Gemรผtlichkeit" you find deepest sleep and recreation... - and the next morning you can visit a thermal bath which is only 100 feet away - in the opposite direction!

I hope this gave you a first glance on RVing in Germany. I am aware, that the situation here can't be compared with the "Land of the Free" - Germany is the "Land of the Jammed" with around 80 million people on half of the acreage of Texas. If you do not make too many stops it is not problem to transit the whole country within one day...

Be sure: I will take my time, when I travel the US. Hopefully I will be counting in months, not in weeks. It only depends on the type of visa Uncle Sam will give me... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Here are links to some pictures:

This is a nice little "Wohnmobil-Stellplatz" in East Frisia:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4en8bgmsg842dsy/vac5.jpg?dl=0

Another one nearby:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lqthxejm9gf51m/vac1.jpg?dl=0

One of my favourite places:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ittwhj0mgllrzm/brewery%20RVing.jpg?dl=0

Believe it or not: This photo was taken only a few miles away from the place where I live. There are many people all over Germany, who really love America and the "American Way of Life":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s67sknrdaa9otb/flag3.jpg?dl=0

P.S.: I acquired my english language skills in school - that is more than 40 years ago now. My articulateness is quite limited, but I try hard to get better. So if you find strange or ridiculous phrases in my postings, please give me a hint in a personal message. I want to learn from the mistakes I make. Thanks!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum. Keep us posted on your Travels when you get started after you retire. We look forward to it.
God Bless!