cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
Someone was asking how to find this posting and I checked and it is not on any of the 16 pages, so I am going to bump it, hope it makes it back. This is the best information on the boards for new people.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
Squealers, I like what the previous owner did in your closets. Inexpensive and easy to do. By the way, its nice to see another PGR member in here.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim102 wrote:
I want to make an outside table for "whatever" about 4' square. I am looking for folding legs, that fold really flat, any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
Why not save the trouble & just buy one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
I want to make an outside table for "whatever" about 4' square. I am looking for folding legs, that fold really flat, any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
Our van doesn't have round closet rods for hanging clothes. It has a rail and then there are little holes for the hangers. It's pretty small and the clothes are often pushed together closely.

So I purchased some of these Hangers with slots . We tried them for the first time over the weekend and they worked great. It was very easy to reach our clothes and to rehang.

Our new to us MH has the hanger setup with the pre-assigned holes and the previous owner took a dow rod, drilled a hole at each end of the rod, and zip tied each end to one of the pre-assigned hanger holes on the original set up. They did this for all the closets.
Another way to skin the cat you mentioned!
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

Ramblin_Mo
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
When my wife washes a few clothes in the Motorhome washer she likes to hang them out rather than use the dryer. We bought one of the foldable portable clothes dryers. It was always in the way, couldn't find a good place to store it when traveling.
I went to Lowes and got a 1 X 2 x 6' long piece of Oak. I wanted something strong. I cut a notch in the end on the top to let our ladder support fit in, the for the support on the other side a cut a notch to fit down over the support. This way the one on the top keeps the board from falling down when she hangs clothes on it. The I cut notched about 3" apart big enough for plastic hangers to fit in. She hangs our shirts and pants on plastic hangers the hangs that on the board to dry. When dry she just brings the in and hangs them in the closet.

This is very clever. (Sorry quoted the wrong message)

Ramblin_Mo
Explorer
Explorer
5talents wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. We considered the fabric type hanging shelf, but they are typically only 12" deep and our wardrobe is 31" deep. I don't want to waste that other area. The Elfa system looks good, but it seems to have a fixed width and it is also only 12" deep. My husband is thinking about using the ClosetMaid shelving that is 12" deep (and can be cut to any length) and turning it 90 degrees so we can get a shelf to run the full 31". I don't know how this will work with the shelf hangers since the walls are hollow. When we figure it out, we'll let you know.

This is very clever. (Place mark page 26)

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
crazyoldcoot wrote:

Anyone else have an idea? Happy Camping!

How about a 12v night light for times when you come back to the trailer after dark?
Or an air compressor power source for blowing up the kids's swim toys?
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
What is this good 4?
As a way to bump this thread, I thought I would share this idea that I had. I wanted a way to use my 12volt cell phone charger at the camper but did not want to get too involved. I wired a cigarette lighter to the battery and mounted it on the tongue of the camper. I have never used it yet but it is there. My list of possibilities begin with- 1. Charging cell phone.
2. Smokers can light up without going inside.
3. A small 12 volt fan could be could be plugged
in and clamped to my lawn chair.
4. If no matches, I could light a fire with
paper or pine straw.
Anyone else have an idea? Happy Camping!

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good one! There was a night last winter when I sure could've used it!

GizmosMom wrote:
Love the fire pit ideas, Jim!

Years and years ago we read a hint about an emergency heat source. It may have even been in one of the old "Highways" magazines.

Take a small coffee can (was probably 13 ounces back then but 11 ounces now) and put a roll of toilet paper inside. Pour a regular size bottle (?pint?) of rubbing alcohol into the can, right over the toilet paper. Light. Cover to extinguish.

Although we have never needed an emergency heat source, this hint stayed in my mind because it went on to say that you could burn it safely inside a home or RV---there would be no toxic fumes.

We tried it once just to see if it would work and it did.

Just thought I would share that to see if it would help you with your fuel thoughts for your fire pit.
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

Serena
Explorer
Explorer
It does. I think mine stuck because it's plastic and tends to mold itself to whatever. But the weight of the stuff in the pockets doubtless helps, too.

twinsmom04 wrote:
Wow, almost 4 hours later....

I haven't done it yet, but I plan on taking one of those canvas hanging shoe racks and attaching it to the underside of the queen bed to store the extra shoes in. Was thinking of heavy duty staples. If its' too long I will cut it down. going to attach it on its side so that when the bed is down, the bottom of the bed will keep the shoes inside the rack and then when i lift the bed, it is on a slight angle so they all stay in nice too. make sense?
Serena

I Know Where I Been, Cuz I Was There When I Went.

jkbrea
Explorer
Explorer
bump

sjptak
Explorer
Explorer
:C
Off to See the Lizard

'99 Four Winds 30' Class C
'97 GEO Tracker
'63 Honda 305 Dream
1947 Wife
1949 Me

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GizmosMom. I didn't think about TP, it might make a good wick. Was thinking tonight about corrugated cardboard rolled up and wax from old candles poured over it. I could cut it short enough so I could make them form fitted into the bottom of the hubcap.

Jim...

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Love the fire pit ideas, Jim!

Years and years ago we read a hint about an emergency heat source. It may have even been in one of the old "Highways" magazines.

Take a small coffee can (was probably 13 ounces back then but 11 ounces now) and put a roll of toilet paper inside. Pour a regular size bottle (?pint?) of rubbing alcohol into the can, right over the toilet paper. Light. Cover to extinguish.

Although we have never needed an emergency heat source, this hint stayed in my mind because it went on to say that you could burn it safely inside a home or RV---there would be no toxic fumes.

We tried it once just to see if it would work and it did.

Just thought I would share that to see if it would help you with your fuel thoughts for your fire pit.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge