cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread alto it seems to be slowing down...keep those hints coming! I use these

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/refrigerator-bars/3441

in my skylight in the shower to hang wet wash cloths, etc on.

My canned goods are on the floor of the cabinet under the kitchen sink and very hard to get to. I use 2 plastic dish washing tubs to store them in..just pull out a tub, get out the cans I want and push back in.

akgent
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize if this has been posted, but I don't have all night to read through all the thread. So...
For those with slides, extend your slide(s) all the way out. Cut a stick to the length of the extended slide. Use the stick as a measuring device when you pull into a site, and that way you know you are positioned correctly, before you get to the point of extending the slide and finding out you don't have the proper clearance.

woodburner
Explorer
Explorer
I thought this wa a pretty good alternative to roto-chocks; maybe even better as it would still work if your tires went flat.

here

TIFFIN ALLEGRO 34TGA

Cape_Westy___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We use one of those driveway reflectors, the aluminum stake with the round reflector on the top when backing in our RV, especially at night. Just stick it in the ground at where you want your driver's side rear corner to be and back right up to it. It's easier than trying to estimate whether you should be a little more to the left or right.

Rbrunson
Explorer
Explorer
The water wand for washing the toilet was mounted too low on the wall for me, I raised it up about 18", much easeir on the old back.

The toilet lid would bang against the wall when you open it. I installed them little round felt stick on thingies right where the lid contacts the wall, also put one on the tip of the clothes hook on the bathroom door because when I open the lenin door it bangs into the hook.

My son bought me a baseball cap that has three LED lights sewn into the front of the brim of the hat. It has a little button to the side for turning it on and off. It is very bright and is really handy while setting up camp at night or just hunting around in the storage compartment.
1997 Foretravel U320 40ft.
M-11E 400hp Cummings
Allison HD-4060R six speed
Honda CR-V toad

BRDof3
Explorer
Explorer
LeeShearer wrote:

I made this to control my unruley 50ft coiled hose. Used 1" pvc

LeeShearer, the pic is gone. Can you post it again? I'd live to see it.
Rob, Denise, 3 kids, and 2 dogs
2007 Jay Flight 26 JTX

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
crazyoldcoot wrote:
If you want it to rain just wash your truck!

That's sooooooo true!!
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
This may be something a lot of other people do, but I don't remember seeing it posted. We worried about the pantry shelves sliding out and opening the door while we travelled. I got a C clamp and placed it on the shelving unit and tightened it. Made sure the outside of the C fit well against the bottom shelf while the clamp part was on the bottom stationary part that's attached to the bottom of the pantry itself. Works well, shelves don't slide out opening the door, easy, inexpensive and don't have to worry about it any more. Hope someone finds it useful, but if not, it bumps this thread. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Fredzo
Explorer
Explorer
When we have to cook inside, whatever we fry, we fry in an 8-quart pot!

Just about eliminates spatter and cleans as easily as a frying pan.

I have a few more that I'll occasionally use to bump this thread.
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
2005 Liberty Renegade Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar, Brake Buddy
Retired on Jan 1, 2010!!!

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
If you want it to rain just wash your truck!

crazyoldcoot
Explorer
Explorer

I got tired of the head of my washing thingy coming off due to lose of elasticity so I put a couple of tie straps through the elastic and it works much better now.

As a very serious plus to the uses of these things, a friend of ours has a son who lost an arm two days ago due to a gas line blow out. The only thing that kept him from bleeding to death was the fact that he used a very large tie strap as a tourniquet.

StanleyandIris
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those dinky little wooden folding clothes dryers. It is great! Who knew? It fits in the bathtub, but even better is to sit it over the floor heat vent and the clothes/towels,etc. dry very quickly. It folds up into nothing and is as light as a feather. I suggest a power drill for assembly. Wal-Mart, $12.99.

I also bought a wooden folding kitchen cart. Unfolded, it is about 3' W x 20" deep and counter height. It folds to 5" deep, has a handle, rollers, 2 shelves and knife block. I use it for extra kitchen counter space/storage/surface space while we are set. Makes a huge difference in kitchen comfort in the MH. Target, about $130. Easy to assemble.

Cold mattress? I fixed this with plush pile fabric. Sleep directly on the plush pile. MMMMM. So warm.

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of paper towels, I use the paper towels from the automotive department, sometimes they are red, but usually they are blue. I use them for washing and drying dishes. They are even sturdier than Viva.
Kathy :B

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
I have found many uses for velcro. We velcro'd the coffee maker to the counter top and the coffee pot which is a thermos type sits in the sink.

Also with a 21 month old who loves to play in the bathroom. The bathroom handle has a slot in which to un-lock it. I velcro'd a quarter to the rear AC thermostat and we can keep the door locked and keep Joel out of there. Then when we have to go, we just grab the quarter to un-lock the door. Works great!
I haven't figured out a way to charge a quarter each time.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
I've seen others with them on, never thought to ask. I figured as long as I'm not blocking lights or license plate it would be ok.

Jim...

Jim, I don't know of any legal restraints beyond lights & tags on front-mounted cargo carriers, tho' that would be state-based, I think.

_But_ there might be insurance pay-out issues in the event of a collision with injuries to folks in your front seats. AIUI, the sensors for the airbags are in the vicinity of the front bumper, so the box might (repeat _might_, I don't know) change their response to the collision, depending on how you're hit.

But a winch mounted in front of the bumper would have pretty much the same effect. Warn and others make and sell those, so maybe I'm raising a non-issue.

Jim, "Gimme coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')