cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an add for you binder and folder people. Not sure it will work for a 3" binder, my folder is closer to an inch.

In a dead space on the side of the closet I built a cubby that is made from a piece of mahogany board about 12" wide by 10" high. Then I framed in with 1"X1" pine an attached it to the wall so I had a slot I could drop my folder of camper papers. Easy to retrieve but does not take up any useable space in the camper.

Jim...

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi In2why. We have a Class B with storage issues. No bathrub to convert, but I think our solution may help you. Our B had four seats, so we took the one behind the driver's seat out. This left an wooden pedestal(like your bathtub). We cut a piece of plywood to go over the hole with wood blocks in the corners to keep it from sliding. It fit pretty tight. We stacked Rubbermaid boxes on top. We secured them with flat rubber straps with snap locks on the ends, The straps were fully adjustable. We secured the straps to the plywood cover with tiny flat-headed screws.(just stuck a hole in the rubber and put the screws in). We drove from NC to Labrador on some very interesting roads and never had anything budge. Since we did not miss the seat (we thought we would put it back), we went ahead and put a cabinet there, but the boxes did fine. lizzie

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
Jeanne M wrote:
Wow...we must all be on the same wave length! Not only do we do the 3 ring binder ideas, I also started a second 'accordian' type file for things not associated with the MH or reservations. It's for things I purchased for use in the MH. Like my bagless vacuum (instructions for changing the hepa filter), our Blue Ox towbar, atomic & weather clocks. That way I don't have to pull out the big book just to find instructions for the small stuff.

This is what we use and works great for us:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Jumbo-Profile-Portable-39606/dp/B0006HX04K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1238002752&sr=1-4

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...we must all be on the same wave length! Not only do we do the 3 ring binder ideas, I also started a second 'accordian' type file for things not associated with the MH or reservations. It's for things I purchased for use in the MH. Like my bagless vacuum (instructions for changing the hepa filter), our Blue Ox towbar, atomic & weather clocks. That way I don't have to pull out the big book just to find instructions for the small stuff.
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
In2why wrote:
Okay I read all 109 pages.....I also have about 3 pages of notes...didn't see the google tip until I was already committed hehe

Our very old Class A has almost non-existent storage for clothing, towels, or linens. I am thinking of a way to modify the bath/shower area to install shelving or the plastic drawers. So far I figure I will cut a piece of plywood to fit the top of the tub to give me a flat surface. On top I can add some plastic dressers from Wally world but I get lost when thinking how to attach the dressers (maybe with bungees) while traveling to keep them from sliding right out. I can't put holes in the shower stall. I also want to be able to throw it all on the bed next to the bathroom once in a blue moon when we have the grandbaby (2) and he needs a bath, although he can take a shower with one of us most of the time. Has anyone modified this area for extra storage?

Thanks

Stacy

We have a set of drawers in our shower area too. To keep it from moving I put my mattress topper between it and the wall. Of course I have a HTT and have to put the topper somewhere!
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B

In2why
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I read all 109 pages.....I also have about 3 pages of notes...didn't see the google tip until I was already committed hehe

Our very old Class A has almost non-existent storage for clothing, towels, or linens. I am thinking of a way to modify the bath/shower area to install shelving or the plastic drawers. So far I figure I will cut a piece of plywood to fit the top of the tub to give me a flat surface. On top I can add some plastic dressers from Wally world but I get lost when thinking how to attach the dressers (maybe with bungees) while traveling to keep them from sliding right out. I can't put holes in the shower stall. I also want to be able to throw it all on the bed next to the bathroom once in a blue moon when we have the grandbaby (2) and he needs a bath, although he can take a shower with one of us most of the time. Has anyone modified this area for extra storage?

Thanks

Stacy

In2why
Explorer
Explorer
kwuj wrote:
L&MMusic wrote:
Finally came across something nifty enough to post about!

One of our dogs is a pitch black English Cocker, only 22 pounds, half deaf and half blind. Occassionally, I'll let her out in the yard without putting her on a leash (at home), but I really prefer knowing where she is. Just can't see her in the dark!!! The local hardware store had a clip-on "Safety Strobe" at the check out counter. Only $3.00. Clips on a belt or, in my case, her collar. Turn it on with the press of a button, and voila! I know where she is!!

We used one of those on our toddler!! We've used it while camping & at home when out after dark (and at night-time neighborhood parties) so we don't always have to hold his hand to know exactly where he was!!

I always make my little people wear the shoes that light up when we camp...That way I can always find them. ๐Ÿ™‚

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
I keep the manuals, warranties, instructions, etc. in a binder in page protectors, too. But for reservations and campground information, I keep file folders, with a hanging file for each state that I've stayed in. It's so handy to be able to go back to my notes on local attractions, specific sites that are better or worse than others, etc.
Joanne

automap2002
Explorer
Explorer
Tizi wrote:
I purchased a 3 inch 3 ring binder and plastic page protectors with 3 holes punched. I put all of my camper documentation, including upgraded components, into the protectors and then into the binder. Now it is all in one place and easily accessible. I added additional information like: The 12 Volt Side of Life, winterizing/dewinterizing instructions, dump tank procedures, etc.

I also have a 3 ring binder that along with all the manuals and upgraded components, I also put my TV manual, inverter manual, in the plastic page protectors I put my trailer registration and all of my reservations, make it handy to have everthing in one place.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 3 inch 3 ring binder and plastic page protectors with 3 holes punched. I put all of my camper documentation, including upgraded components, into the protectors and then into the binder. Now it is all in one place and easily accessible. I added additional information like: The 12 Volt Side of Life, winterizing/dewinterizing instructions, dump tank procedures, etc.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

Van_Helden
Explorer
Explorer
We put a 4" 3 lbs memory foam over the matress and it sleeps great! Ordered it on e-bay and arrived in 4 days. It was just over $100.
05 Tiffin Phaeton
07 Toyota FJ Cruiser (towed)
01 Cadi
56 Olds

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the local upholstery shop and ordered a queen size piece of 6" foam that they use to make new cushions out of. It is pink and very firm..too firm, in fact..so I added a 3" memory foam topper and now have a very comfortable and light mattress. We needed a short queen so had the extra inches cut off before taking the foam home. Foam was less than $200 including the cutting and the foam topper was on sale at Big Lots for $40.

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Denise in Ark wrote:
RE: RV MATTRESS UPGRADE
The second tip will get you a good matt, esp if you like a softer bed, without spending much at all. Buy one of those things that keeps an area rug from slipping and hot glue it to the top of the platform. Top it with an air mattress, and if you want to gild the lily, top that with foam mattress pad, your choice of thickness. This will make the sheets fit better too. Less than $100 and I have slept better on a bed like this than any other bed in my whole life.
Denise in Ark

Exactly what I did!! When we got our new MH it came with the Sleep Number bed. "I" was not crazy about it, but DH loved it. So after a bit of thought, I purchased a very fluffy comfy mattress pad, on top of that I put a firm 'egg crate' foam pad and finally a heated mattress pad. Then I visited a Sleep Number store to find 'my' number. I LOVE that bed now! Much less $$ than a new mattress. Also, by visiting the store, I learned the proper way to inflate the bed. You have to be lying 'ON' the bed when you are setting your number. We were just inflating it without lying on it. So much better now! I'm a #65! I like sleeping on a board (apparently)!
Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

New_Vision
Explorer
Explorer
We love our RV mat, we had tried outdoor area rugs that took forever to dry. Just ordered a smart dryer drying rack from Camping World. Has anyone every used one? Our camper has a molded bumper, so a clothes line is out of the question.
I O W A !!! G O H A W K S !!!
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 32FRL 5th Wheel
2005 Ford F350 Superduty Supercrew SRW 6.0 liter PSD
Curt 16K

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
RE: RV MATTRESS UPGRADE

Yep we had that issue. How weird is it that mfr's of a $100K camper will put a $50 mattress in it? It's something that we have never figured out. We're shopping to upgrade and have been shopping seriously for over a year. Not only that, DH has a fetish about RV shows so we have to go to every one within driving distance. You can imagine how many RV's we've gone into and inevitably it's the same story.

TWO tips with this: first, we had a networking bud and got a free super high quality custom made mattress for free. So that's what we did. Yep, it's too heavy for the holder-upper doohickies. (I always like to use the most technical terms for things, don't you?) Our resolution was not to replace those but to screw a cat food can (closet rod holder, just about anything of that general shape would do) to the underside of the platform. A tension rod has rubber stoppers on both ends and so won't slide out of place when you use it to prop the bed open, but a dowel would probably work just as well as long as there is carpet under the bed.

The second tip will get you a good matt, esp if you like a softer bed, without spending much at all. Buy one of those things that keeps an area rug from slipping and hot glue it to the top of the platform. Top it with an air mattress, and if you want to gild the lily, top that with foam mattress pad, your choice of thickness. This will make the sheets fit better too. Less than $100 and I have slept better on a bed like this than any other bed in my whole life.

Denise in Ark