cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
tbirds255 wrote:
The 3M Command hooks are the best, as well as their new wall type caddies that can hold glasses, phones ect...

Here are my 3M holders:

Love 'em.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

revrnd
Explorer
Explorer
tbirds255 wrote:

Since we do alot of dry camping we often go through CG's and take notes as to where the water spigot is located and how the shade is at different spots, that way when I go to make my reservations the following year I know what spots I prefer.

I've done the same checking the "hydro" or power posts @ the prov' parks I've stayed @. It can make setting up when the shore power cord doesn't have to run under the RV & across your site to get to the post.
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD (P3 controller, Husky WD hitch)
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini Lite

Retired GM of Canada Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant
Opened 1965 Closed 2009

tbirds255
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished reading all 94 pages (my setting is for 20 post per page, others have 10 post per page so they are on pg 188!) I have my list of things 'to do" now too. Here are my tips:
I swear by the Lock n' Lock storage containers, they seal up really good so if you are also using an ice chest w/ice your food dosen't get water logged. We often have a ice chest that we pack for the daytrips, so I put all the sandwich/lunch items in the containers for our picnics while sight seeing/ fishing.
The 3M Command hooks are the best, as well as their new wall type caddies that can hold glasses, phones ect... We often dry camp in the Sierras for 2 weeks at a time, so I have a styrofoam cooler that is inside a cardboard box (like the box that you would get your "Omaha" steaks delivered to you in) that becomes my freezer for the trip. I start planning ahead with my meals by making more than we need at every meal so I can freeze a whole other dinner for camping. I label the meal, put it in one of the lock n' lock containers and freeze it, then when it's time to go camping I have most of my dinners premade. I pack them in the cooler with dry ice and just take out what I need every 3-4 days and put it in the fridge to thaw. And as I take the items we are using out, I put the fish we caught in the cooler (I don't want to get the HTT fridge smelly)
Another thing I did was I took all the different manuals for the trailer (fridge, water heater, ect..) and laminated them, then put them in a binder that I keep in the trailer. Now I have an easy refrence book to look through without ever having to worry about the pages getting ripped while using it.
Since we do alot of dry camping we often go through CG's and take notes as to where the water spigot is located and how the shade is at different spots, that way when I go to make my reservations the following year I know what spots I prefer. This did back fire on us once though, the last spot we had picked out, then reserved for this year had atleast 15 trees on it, but when we showed up this year over half of them had been cut down (Forrest Services determined them to be dead!). We weren't even sure we were in the right spot! It had went from a forrest to a field!
As for the guy with the 'fake spigot" I think I was next to you once! Boy was I mad that they had made your spot a hook up spot! You broke the news to us gently though....
Once again Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful tips and links that have been posted here.
2005 Ford F-250 Power Stroke Diesel
Crew Cab FX4
1978 Avion 30P (9.1 meter)

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
Try high temp velcro from a company called "Coil n Wrap". It does not come off no matter how hot it gets even here in SC. They have other neat & useful items for RVers. My only connection with them is being a customer for several years.
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the heat where we are velcro doesn't work for us on anything, it just slides off! To keep the plexiglas on I suggest mirror clips from a big box store.

wannabegone
Explorer
Explorer
horseylady wrote:
To attach plexiglass to the inside of our screen door, we used velcro. We weren't towing a car so didn't go look for clips but I think you can get something at a glass company. Velcro works fine but it's really tough stuff and will not be that easy to remove. A few small pieces would probably do it.

we also did velcro on the top and bottom (heavy duty kind). the piece next to the slide I just stucke it in there next to the screen.
2005 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 6.6 Duramax
2008 Keystone Springdale 307FKLGL
2008 Lance 1181
1994 Harley Electra Glide Classic

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
pattyann1750 wrote:
will someone who has applied the plexiglass to the inner door please pm me with the how to so I can give it to my dh.lol.sounds like a great idea but can't picture how to attach it temporarily.Thanks

I think this may be what you're looking for:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24310276.cfm
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
To attach plexiglass to the inside of our screen door, we used velcro. We weren't towing a car so didn't go look for clips but I think you can get something at a glass company. Velcro works fine but it's really tough stuff and will not be that easy to remove. A few small pieces would probably do it.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
will someone who has applied the plexiglass to the inner door please pm me with the how to so I can give it to my dh.lol.sounds like a great idea but can't picture how to attach it temporarily.Thanks

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We use a stainless steel (couldn't find on the Internet) drip coffee maker that belonged to my in-laws. Found an aluminum version on this site (scroll down, it's the last one).

Our van is so small and I sort of tend to cram some kitchen items in the cabinets and I am afraid I would break a glass coffee maker.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
Thermacell is FANTASTIC. Kind of expensive, but kept the Maine and NH mosquito's (AKA B-52's) off of us. One night we were doing fine when all of a sudden we started getting bitten....sure enough we ran out of Butane in the Thermacell. We don't go anywhere without it now.
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The Thermacell and the Off Clip on both work well for us.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
The best addition we've made is the Melitta Manual Drip Coffee Maker. Works just like a Mr. Coffee, exept you heat the water on the stove and pour it over the grounds. makes excellent coffee amd best of all requires no electricty when boondocking!

I actually use this method with a regular drip coffee maker when the electricity goes out. Just put the drip basket on top of the pot and slowly add the water to the basket. My DW swears that the coffee tastes better this way!
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best addition we've made is the Melitta Manual Drip Coffee Maker. Works just like a Mr. Coffee, exept you heat the water on the stove and pour it over the grounds. makes excellent coffee amd best of all requires no electricty when boondocking!

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
bakerkids wrote:
I think the Thermacell fan gets much better reviews that the Off brand, but I haven't tried either.
http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

The only thing that works better than the Thermacell unit is having my youngest son with us. Mosquitos are attracted to him and never seem to bother me if he is close by. :B
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide