cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
louiskathy wrote:
el.sifon wrote:
When we started full timing we stored all our loose items and important papers in plastic boxes. That worked OK but it made the motorhome look rather dumpy. On a shopping trip to "Michael's" we found decorative storage boxes made to look like books and antique suitcases. They were a little pricey at normal prices but we happened be there when they were on a 2 for 1 sales. Now our important papers are stored in what looks like an big old antique book and my computer stuff and desk items are stored in a small antique looking suitcase. Paper for the printer in stored in another small treasure chest. All of these are out in the open and the motorhome looks like it was professionally decorated. This may not be good for the part timer but full timers should find this useful for some of their stuff.

Went to Michael's last night and they have lots of baskets on sale right now. 40% off. Couldn't find what we wanted, exactly... (I found two containers with hinged lids that I almost bought.) Went to Pier One and found something that worked perfectly and it was on sale, too. Now's the time to shop for storage containers, I guess.

Another good place for "designer" containers, baskets, etc. is Cost Plus World Market. Their basket selection is usually better than Michaels.
Jeannie

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
Our trash can is not in the cabinet, only the tennis ball is. I had the trash can in a cabinet for a while in our previous RV. But then I gave it up for the storage.

louiskathy wrote:

The logical place for our trash can is in front of the fridge but it's really hard to find a short/wide waste basket with a lid that is only 13-1/2 inches tall (so the fridge door clears it) but still is wide enough to be useful. (We use grocery bags inside.) Bed Bath and beyond has one online right now but not all the stores carry it.

I use two eye hooks and a bunge cord to secure it to the wall under the fridge door. I'd love to put it inside the kitchen cabinet but I just can't give up the storage space under the sink for a wastebasket.
Kathy :B

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Scrapz wrote:
I found a way to keep our kitchen trash can upright while traveling. I use an 8-gal can with a 13-gal trash bag with a drawstring (cinch sack). After inserting the bag into the can, I fold the top of the bag over the outside of the can. I positioned the can where I wanted it to be, against a cabinet. I grabbed the bag hanging on the back side of the can, pulled it tight, and slipped it between a cabinet door and the cabinet opening, on the hinged side. Pulling the bag through to the inside of the cabinet, it formed a pocket. I put a tennis ball in the pocket (inside the cabinet) and shut the door. The tennis ball keeps the bag from sliding through, and the bag holds the trash can in position. I don't know how well this will work if the trash can is full and heavy, but we empty the trash often.

The logical place for our trash can is in front of the fridge but it's really hard to find a short/wide waste basket with a lid that is only 13-1/2 inches tall (so the fridge door clears it) but still is wide enough to be useful. (We use grocery bags inside.) Bed Bath and beyond has one online right now but not all the stores carry it.

I use two eye hooks and a bunge cord to secure it to the wall under the fridge door. I'd love to put it inside the kitchen cabinet but I just can't give up the storage space under the sink for a wastebasket.
Kathy

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
No one appreciates a serviceman and service families as much as an old Veteran. Thank you so much Anthony21403 for your service.
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
el.sifon wrote:
When we started full timing we stored all our loose items and important papers in plastic boxes. That worked OK but it made the motorhome look rather dumpy. On a shopping trip to "Michael's" we found decorative storage boxes made to look like books and antique suitcases. They were a little pricey at normal prices but we happened be there when they were on a 2 for 1 sales. Now our important papers are stored in what looks like an big old antique book and my computer stuff and desk items are stored in a small antique looking suitcase. Paper for the printer in stored in another small treasure chest. All of these are out in the open and the motorhome looks like it was professionally decorated. This may not be good for the part timer but full timers should find this useful for some of their stuff.

Went to Michael's last night and they have lots of baskets on sale right now. 40% off. Couldn't find what we wanted, exactly... (I found two containers with hinged lids that I almost bought.) Went to Pier One and found something that worked perfectly and it was on sale, too. Now's the time to shop for storage containers, I guess.
Kathy

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
I found a way to keep our kitchen trash can upright while traveling. I use an 8-gal can with a 13-gal trash bag with a drawstring (cinch sack). After inserting the bag into the can, I fold the top of the bag over the outside of the can. I positioned the can where I wanted it to be, against a cabinet. I grabbed the bag hanging on the back side of the can, pulled it tight, and slipped it between a cabinet door and the cabinet opening, on the hinged side. Pulling the bag through to the inside of the cabinet, it formed a pocket. I put a tennis ball in the pocket (inside the cabinet) and shut the door. The tennis ball keeps the bag from sliding through, and the bag holds the trash can in position. I don't know how well this will work if the trash can is full and heavy, but we empty the trash often.
Kathy :B

el_sifon
Explorer
Explorer
El Sifon

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Anthony21403 for your service
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

PGR_Skye
Explorer
Explorer
And a big thank you from here as well, Anthony21403.
Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy & Nana X2

Thank you so much Anthony21403
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Anthony21403 wrote:
For laundry I like to use the Purex 3 in 1 Sheets. Twenty two sheets in a 8x8x2 inch box and it takes the place of detergent, fabric softner and dryer sheets. Does a good job too. In fact that is what I used on my last two Iraq deployments and it got my uniforms and pt gear clean everytime.

This is not a hint, gadget, product or gizmo BUT it is a HUGE thank you to Anthony21403 for serving our country to keep us free!!!!!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

Anthony21403
Explorer
Explorer
For laundry I like to use the Purex 3 in 1 Sheets. Twenty two sheets in a 8x8x2 inch box and it takes the place of detergent, fabric softner and dryer sheets. Does a good job too. In fact that is what I used on my last two Iraq deployments and it got my uniforms and pt gear clean everytime.
MSG Tony, USAF, 20+ years
Back from my 6 month "Summer in the Sand" Vacation

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the spring we stock the TT with baggies, soap, paper products, and spices that we use all the camping season.

In the fall these all get brought in and we use from this stock for the S&B for the winter.

Restocking in the spring keeps us using fresh items and nothing goes outdated or gets wasted.

Total cost is the same but convenience is great.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
There are 4 of us in the family and 2 of them are 7 and 4, so we DO go through lots of clothes when we camp. We are usually doing outdoor, fun, but sometimes rough stuff, so I pack a few good clothes, but mostly stuff that if it's ruined, no big deal.

I purchased a small bottle of detergent, bleach and fabric softener. That stays in the TT all during the camping season. When it gets less than half, I will use my BIG DADDY bottle that is at our house to replenish.

The little bottles have lasted us for 4 years.

When we camp-hosted at a state park for a month, I washed twice a week and still had plenty left in all the bottles. They were full when we started.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ArmySFCRet
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, back on track. When we do our laundry while traveling we use the small "apartment size" bottles of detergent and bleach. Easier to store in the RV.

There, now I feel better. :B

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/

TWIN H-POWER

&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc