cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

haulin a generator

jrctoby
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience with carrying a small generator(Inverter) either in their SUV or inside the trailer. The dealer warned against carrying it on the rear bumper (not sure it would fit anyway). The only other alternative I can think of is to haul it in an air tight box either in the trailer or the SUV that is our tow vehicle.
16 REPLIES 16

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
My generator ride in the trailer on the floor just behind the couch. Other times it's in the front storage compartment. I always put the generator in the storage compartment at night. That puts it right under my head while I'm sleeping and I've never noticed any fuel fumes.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bando711
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Propane gen........ never any odor

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry spare fuel for our portable generator in a safety can in one of the closed exterior storage cabinets of our motorhome. This is similar to the safety can we use:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200447901_200447901
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have carried mine on the bumper just fine. With solar the generator is now obsolete (for me).

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is not the generators, it's the extended run (marine) fuel tank. I had hoped to use it for it's intended purpose as well as a gas can when I need to run for fuel. The stupid thing is always weeping fuel around the supply ports or the fuel gauge. There are two o-rings in each part and they apparently don't conform well to the plastic parts. I wonder how the boaters handle this fire hazard.

I picked up a tank at a yard sale that I will try next.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jrctoby wrote:
Anyone have experience with carrying a small generator(Inverter) either in their SUV or inside the trailer.

You haven't mentioned which inverter genset you're talking about but I've got a Honda EU2000i and found that it would fit perfectly in a Rubbermaid bin, Model 2215. However, the stock lid won't fit properly since the genset is just a bit too tall so I bought two bins and used the lids to make a custom lid that would fit. With this custom lid in place gas and oil fumes are sealed inside the box ... pics are here for anyone interested. I keep my genset in my workshop and without the bin I found that even with the gas cap vent lid closed fumes were still noticeable ... but not when stored in the bin. I'd have no concern about storing it in the back of my Avalanche or even in the camper as long as it's in the bin. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
With having a 5er, I have a tool box behind the cab of out truck. Mostly it's empty as we use it to carry extra stuff when the grandkids are with us, but we will stick out Honda genny in there when we need it.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

gcvt
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
a good inverter generator, like a Honda or Yamaha, will have a vent cap that shuts off the tank.
unless you spill gas on the generator exterior, you won't get fumes, if it functions properly.
some SUV owners puts theirs in a big plastic tub with the lid on it.

This.

We carry our Honda EU2000 with us everywhere we go in our Sportsmobile. There's a cabinet inside that I swear was built JUST to hold this unit.
2003 Ford E250 Sportsmobile EB10

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've carried my Yamaha in the travel trailer a few times. Never any gas odor at all.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have carried Honda generators in the back of my SUV for many years without any problem. Just close the gas vent cap.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
45 days and 9000 miles last summer. Genny in back of suburban with no issues whatsoever.

hookie
Explorer
Explorer
Never a problem with my Honda in the back of my 4Runner or in the TT.
'14 Sportsmen Classic 190
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
a good inverter generator, like a Honda or Yamaha, will have a vent cap that shuts off the tank.
unless you spill gas on the generator exterior, you won't get fumes, if it functions properly.
some SUV owners puts theirs in a big plastic tub with the lid on it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I just fabbed up heavy bumper and 3 hitch crate. Been on there now past 5 years.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va