cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hazmat codes

bgant4
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know a site that gives the codes on semis for transporting hazadorous materials. I believe gas is 1203.
13 REPLIES 13

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is not a unique ID number for every hazardous substance. For substances which are mixtures of assorted chemical compounds, the Hazmat name might be something like corrosive substance, acidic, inorganic, n.o.s. (n.o.s. stands for not otherwise specified) and that name will cover a lot of different mixtures.

All those mixtures will have similar hazardous behaviors and their ID number is the same. Their behavior will be similar in an emergency situation and emergency responders will treat them the same.

If you look in the emergency response guide, you will see that the same response guide number applies to a wide variety of materials, and that's because they will behave similarly and be treated similarly in an emergency.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the app "Cargo Decoder" - incorporates the DOT Emergency Response Guide - just "dial in" the UN number on a vehicle to see what they are carrying. And regarding fuel oil and diesel having the same number - it's because in an emergency they both behave the same way - we don't really care what the substance is - just what it will do!!! http://www.strategiesinsoftware.com/current-projects/cargo-decoder Scott
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry the little yellow book all the time. A company I worked for required everyone to have First Responder Hazmat training. Quite simply that meant, Identify it, Notify someone, Stay the heck away and let the people that know what to do handle it.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are welcome... Some departments debate the use of civilian dispatchers. but when the "Stuff impacts the impeller" (hits the fan) as a Civilian I get to work, On those occasions when I was working with a trooper he's gripping the steering wheel and hitting the gas.. Except there is no steering wheel in the radio room and the pedal puts the radio in transmit, on some systems this means you can't hear the cars (not on the one I used)..

I rather liked being a civilian employee. Now I like being Retired.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Also for Dispatchers like me.

And in a genuine emergency I know who to call too. (Hint.. My office, 9-1-1)

Don't mean to hijack, but thank you for what you do... you guys have saved many of my friends lives with a cool head and calm, quick action getting the right people out at the right time.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Who has inernet access all over the place.

I have a book: I believe it is titled "Haz Mat".

It gives the codes and a whole bunch of other info like the evacuation distance, and in some cases emergency treatment if exposed, and such. Standard in every police officer's case... Also for Dispatchers like me.

And in a genuine emergency I know who to call too. (Hint.. My office, 9-1-1)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
UN 1203 for Gasoline... I ASSumed this as there are thousands of gases out. ๐Ÿ™‚ there.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for DOT placard.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I did notice, Diesel and Fuel Oil can be either 1202 or 1993.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one of the tools I use at work Wiser

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a smart phone, download the Emergency Response Guide. This is the app I use as a firefighter to identify what we are dealing with when responding to a hazmat situation. 1203 is Gasoline.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Umm... let me Google that for you.
I like that, can you do that with List of UN Numbers.

Wikipedia, List of UN Numbers
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Umm... let me Google that for you.
-- Chris Bryant