cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headlight Lens Cleaning

larrymjones
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a new (to us) MH. Looking for suggestions on products y'all have successfully used to brighten/clean headlight lenses. Thank you!
Lare-Mare
27 REPLIES 27

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Deet method is interesting. Never thought of it, but I know it sure eats plastic!
Great detailers truck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to use those kits that required multiple steps, including taping off the area, but found this product which works just as well. The lenses do fog up again, but this stuff takes minutes to use.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Had my daughters cars headlights done at Sams club. I think they charge like 25.00 and guarantee them for a few years. Cant beat the price and they still look good.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried the "Deet" method using Off which is 25% Deet. It worked like a charm. I sprayed part of a folded up paper shop towel, wiped the lens, resprayed on another part of the towel and wiped again, then did the same thing for a third time. I washed it, then used a foam pad in a drill to buff with PlasticX. I washed it a second time, and then waxed it with Meguiars. More time and work might have made it look new, but I'm more than happy with the results.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:

I checked on replacing them but $400 each so I passed on that. In my case I would have had to purchase the whole light assembly not just the lens.

Have you tried rockauto.com?

I replaced the headlight assemblies on several cars that were around 10 years old and I paid about $28-45 for each headlight assembly.

Yes, they are Chinese clones of the OEM units and are not as well built, but they have been working fine for years.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
Jerry
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heck, I'd be happy if they just went back to glass lenses. Everyone knows the downside of plastic lenses, and they just keep putting them out. Talk about ignoring what people complain about.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Turtle Wax Kit (totally worthless), 3M Kit (better but not great, Toothpaste with grit (did better than the prior two),Brasso (which worked the best). Just give me back my sealed beams! I read an article a couple of months ago how bad the headlights are on the newer vehicles. The worst rated, some high-end BMW.

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
Xflyhighx wrote:
I was in the car business for a while. My detail shop used to use bug spray with over 30 deat and it used to look good. Don't know how long it lasts, but the price is right. The deat does something to the plastic. I didn't believe it neither until I saw it done. He used a micro cloth to polish it.

yep, me too. I have been using this same technique for a long time. two of my vehicles are always parked outside and the summer sun takes its' toll on those plastic lens. it's inexpensive,always available,less work producing the same results, multi-use-keeping the bugs off you while you polish the lens, and it works.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it a couple times, wet sand with something like 2000, think I started with 600 and worked my way down. Buffed with compound (electric buffer), then applied wax. Came out crystal clear.

There are Utube videos on it if you look.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Recently had our trucks headlights done professionally, wet sanded, waxed, buffed. Much nicer, but they are crystalizing, I can see it.

I did the lenses because I just had a shop install the best bulbs I have ever seen, LED's. Bui!T in heatsinks, plug and play on our F350.

AMAZING!!!!! Even have hi/low beam and I did the driving lights.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Theres a very good youtube video on how to it and make it permanent. Many kits you use won't last more than a few months.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mandalay Parr wrote:

I checked on replacing them but $400 each so I passed on that. In my case I would have had to purchase the whole light assembly not just the lens.

Have you tried rockauto.com?

I replaced the headlight assemblies on several cars that were around 10 years old and I paid about $28-45 for each headlight assembly.

Yes, they are Chinese clones of the OEM units and are not as well built, but they have been working fine for years.

Steve

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Polishing compound Flitz ... rag by hand works well. Amazon of course. ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Rustycamperpants wrote:
eDUBz wrote:
Wet sand with 1500 and then polish with 3M compound. If you don't want to buy new lens take it to a body shop and have them clear coat the lenses. what ever you do it won't last a long time but will look good. Clear coating will be your cheapest option that will last the longest other than replacing them.

^ This X2, you need to remove the old clear coat that is on the lens with the wet paper going to finer grits as the old stuff is removed. I ended up with 2,000 wet paper. Tape off the area around the lens and use a rattle can of clear coat to finish it up. This will last a long time, I did my DW '03 Beemer two years ago and it still looks great.

Clearing them after polish is a good idea. Pretty sure there no clear on a lens to begin with though.
Wonder if 3 M clear bra would keep the shine on ? Easy to apply and durable.

Was clear on the beemer, I tried the polish stuff and it wouldn't work. Just throwing in my .02 ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH